What would you do with this old Colt 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mix master or not I am sure that gun or part of it has some history. Not many from that period are all original especially military pieces. They got ran through the parts bin a lot.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    your gun, do as you see fit and don't feel bad. if it was mine, i'd figure that a 70 year old g.i. gun got the "been there, done that" look by actually being there and doing that.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Pretty universal that I should appreciate the old finish. I'd still like to clean off the rust spots, but I'll take that heavily into consideration before rebluing.

Is $500-$600 still a fair value for an older shooter colt like this, or has that changed much in one direction or the other over the past few crazy years?
    Damn I wish I could find one for that price with the govt property stamping. I wouldn't care about the finish. I'd leave it just like that. If there's a rust spot you can use some oil and 00 steel wool and slowly and lightly work it. It WILL take off metal so don't be too rough. That's all I'd do to the gun and I'd shoot it with pride!

JDvader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    Think of it this way....if you take a nice looking 1911 to the range and shoot it, no big deal, nobody will pay attention. You take a 70 year old 1911 with that patina on it, and everyone will notice. Not that you are trying to get attention, they are just uncommon.

Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm sold on keeping the patina. I'm just going to work on cleaning it up some and working off that rust, then I'm going to get to shooting.

Does anyone have any insight on the "United States Government Property" marking being partly polished off? Was that something they did when selling these surplus after the war? There is also a second marking to the right of the serial that was polished off and they did a slightly better job there. I'm glad I can still see the first marking clearly.

Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Decided to take it into JM Gunsmithing because he lives in my neighborhood and I feel good about his work. I just asked him to check out the internals before I shoot it and might have him clean up the rust a bit for me. I've never used steel wool on a gun and I'm a little timid about butchering it.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    It is your pistol, do as you wish, many G.I. .45's have had the property of the US Government marking removed for whatever reason. Once an armorer looks it over and you can shoot it, think about how the current finish will react to the elements. If it was in my collection and I was keeping it for a shooter, with the condition I see it in, I would have it re parked. If I found out it killed three Ameigo's during Black Jack Pershings 1916 run in with Mexican Banditos, it would have histric value.................oh wait, I do have one of those!

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I picked up this old Colt 1911 for a good deal. The serial number places the frame as made in 1943. The slide appears to maybe be from earlier and I can't find any other serial numbers or markings on slide, barrel, magazine, etc.

Markings on the left side of the slide say "Colt's PTFA MFG CO". Right side of the frame has "US Government Property" but it looks like it was partially polished off intentionally, like maybe it was sold as surplus?

I cleaned and greased it and everything moves and feels great. What would you do with this gun? I don't believe it will have much collector value so I'm thinking about having it refinished and making it a shooter. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    View attachment 30026 View attachment 30025

Love him, hug him, squeeze him and name him George, but please don't do anything to the greatest handgun ever made. OK maybe the insides and shoot it. And for what it's worth the old ones with that finish really do it for me, just sayin'...........

Classic Looney Tunes - YouTube

Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I finally took it into JM Gunsmithing (highly recommending for those on the south side). He did a full disassemble, thorough internal cleaning, and inspection. He gave me the go-ahead to shoot it so I'm going to hit the range next week. I'm planning on keeping the finish as-is and appreciating the history. Thanks all!

juans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2013
    indianapolis
    Good luck. I own a Remington rand 1911 manufactured in 1945. The finish is about 98 %. I am looking for one ww2 era rebuilt to use it as a shooter.

good luck

juan

FreeFAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I would enjoy it as is, as well, unless you want to refinish it or something. I certainly wouldn't upgrade it. That's tantamount to bubbafying a Garand in my book.

Top Bottom