• ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Scenerio:

Got stopped by Beech Grove PD for a burnt out headlight which was heading in the opposite direction of my travel. I see him bust a u-turn in my rearview mirror and notice his left rear brake light is not working. He lights me up and I pull over. Typical statements made by officer, driver license and vehicle registration please. He ask "Do you know why I stopped you?" I know the reason but play innocent, "No sir, I do not". He states you have a burnt out headlight. I respond by informing him that his left rear brake light on his cruiser is also burnt out. He acts surprised and shocked that I would mention his vehicle's unsafe condition. Let's say for conversation sake he issues me a ticket for my headlight. I take my ticket and as we leave he pulls around me. I video record his car at the next stoplight documenting his burnt out brake light. Would you just pay the ticket and go on your way? Or would you dispute the ticket and take your video recording to traffic court?

And might I add that my headlight burnt out on Wednesday and it is now Thursday.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Brake light or tail light? It's legal to have a burned out brake light. Also, his vehicle has nothing to do with your burned out headlight, it won't get you out of a ticket. It also wouldn't matter when your headlight burned out. If it's out, it's out.

Last edited:

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Brake light or tail light? It's legal to have a burned out brake light. Also, his vehicle has nothing to do with your burned out headlight, it won't get you out of a ticket. It also wouldn't matter when your headlight burned out. If it's out, it's out.

I agree, my vehicle was not to proper code. Yes it was his brake light.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Judge: "Sir, were your headlights in proper working order?"
    You: "No."
    Judge: "The citation stands, next case."
    You: "B-b-b-but the officer's car had...."
    Judge: "NEXT CASE!!"

...4hrs Later...

Full page post on INGO about how your rights were violated because you got caught breaking the law with multiple excuses on why you think you shouldn't be held accountable.

I would pay the ticket and fix your headlight.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Vehicles only need 1 working brake light, excluding the middle/third brake light. Needs to be repaired, yes. A violation, no. Might be best to be familiar with the law before you begin to try and use it.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Scenerio:

Got stopped by Beech Grove PD for a burnt out headlight which was heading in the opposite direction of my travel. I see him bust a u-turn in my rearview mirror and notice his left rear brake light is not working. He lights me up and I pull over. Typical statements made by officer, driver license and vehicle registration please. He ask "Do you know why I stopped you?" I know the reason but play innocent, "No sir, I do not". He states you have a burnt out headlight. I respond by informing him that his left rear brake light on his cruiser is also burnt out. He acts surprised and shocked that I would mention his vehicle's unsafe condition. Let's say for conversation sake he issues me a ticket for my headlight. I take my ticket and as we leave he pulls around me. I video record his car at the next stoplight documenting his burnt out brake light. Would you just pay the ticket and go on your way? Or would you dispute the ticket and take your video recording to traffic court?

And might I add that my headlight burnt out on Wednesday and it is now Thursday.
    I just forwarded this post to the judge in traffic court. He'll be looking for you.

So...did he actually write you a ticket?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Vehicles only need 1 working brake light, excluding the middle/third brake light. Needs to be repaired, yes. A violation, no. Might be best to be familiar with the law before you begin to try and use it.

BoomHeadShot.gif

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Scenerio:

Brake light or Tail light, does it matter? We all know cops don't break the law! :laugh:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, I was driving 85 down the interstate and the cop had to do durn near 100 to catch me. He sneaked up on me and didn't turn on his lights and siren until he was behind me. So, since he was speeding to catch me speeding I shouldn't get a ticket, right? :dunno:

Just because his car wasn't perfect doesn't mean you get a pass.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I dont care what the situation is... Pointing at the fault of an officer's car or the officer, especially something VERY VERY petty (such as a stupid light burnt out) is a good way to make you a local favorite for road side visits with your finer Local Law Enforcement Agency. Not saying every cop operates that way, but picking an argument with LE never ends well... Tread very lightly.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I would have shown him the extra bulbs I always carry in my glove box and happily offered to correct it on the spot. And I would have almost certainly not gotten a ticket. I would have still informed him of his failed light because I honestly believe this is something most officers would want to know. I would have done it in a friendly, non-confrontational manner though.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    About two months ago I saw a local PD cruiser and a sheriff **** chatting in an empty parking lot early one evening and the local PD had a headlight out. Later that night I saw the same cruiser driving around with the bulb still out.

I would think after receiving a citation from that sheriff he would have had it fixed immediately.

Edit: I'm not sure why C H I T is blanked out...Isn't that a common phrase?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    About two months ago I saw a local PD cruiser and a sheriff **** chatting in an empty parking lot early one evening and the local PD had a headlight out. Later that night I saw the same cruiser driving around with the bulb still out.

I would think after receiving a citation from that sheriff he would have had it fixed immediately.

Edit: I'm not sure why C H I T is blanked out...Isn't that a common phrase?

I see what you did there. ;)

Top Bottom