• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shaynster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Rochester
    Long story short I lent a pistol to a family member and they sold it. What would you do? Is this a civil matter? I would think it's theft.

Shayn

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Sounds like a matter for small claims court. You'll have to prove that you were the owner of the gun, that you loaned it (and didn't give it as a gift) to the family member, and that you didn't get it back.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sad to say, but that just may be what it costs to learn that you should not have trusted that family member. What is the approximate value of the gun?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    That really sucks. I'd treat it as theft. File a report. Get the ball rolling now.

How long were they in possession of it? Hopefully its not been sold to a felon. But no matter what, file the report just in case it comes back to you. (Guy gets caught with it and hes a felon, says I bought it from xxx and then xxx blames you).

What did we used to do to thieves? Something about cutting off a hand? Maybe we should bring that back.

shaynster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Rochester
    I have a witness that knows the whole story. Sad thing is, it's my brother that sold it. I'm really hoping he does the right thing and pay me for it. Needless to say I'm not talking to him. It's only $400 so I don't know if it's worth going to court over.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a witness that knows the whole story. Sad thing is, it's my brother that sold it. I'm really hoping he does the right thing and pay me for it. Needless to say I'm not talking to him. It's only $400 so I don't know if it's worth going to court over.

Again, sad to say. $400 could actually be pretty cheap money to learn what you didn't know about your kin.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

was he that hard up for the cash? sheeesh! hope it wasn't a gun that you carried or meant something to you. either way he stole $400 from you. whether you decide to involve the authorities or take him to small claims court...he messed up big time. I hope he's not on drugs or something like that. If that's the case then good luck getting any money for it. I smell something fishy.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Get a sock, put three rolls of nickles in it. When he goes to sleep, walk in and crack him in the face with the sock. Get his attention. Promise one of these every night until you get your money. Or you could just go in with a can of Nair hair remover and soak his head with it while he's asleep.

I KID!!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You know who he sold it to ?

Probably not the best advice, but I'd attempt buying it back from the person now in possession (as long as he/she is not prohibited from owning) and settling up financially with your brother later...

If the person in possession is prohibited from owning, then your best course is to report...

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    If a family member deliberately screwed me over like that (and if I was certain it was intentional), I'd chalk it up to a lesson learned and keep that person at a distance from that point forward (or until they accepted responsibility and made it right with me). If you have reason to believe that the gun fell into the hands of fellons (traded for drugs etc) I'd definitely consider filing a report just to cover yourself.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd try to work it out with my brother first. Maybe this is part of a bigger problem? I'm betting we don't know the whole story here and under normal circumstances I'd say none of our business but when asking for advice and expecting good advice we'd need to know the full story. Give him a fixed period of time to make good then report the theft.

shaynster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Rochester
    My witness tried to find out who he sold it to, but he wouldn't say. I wish he was that loyal to me. I don't talk to him, it won't end well.

shaynster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Rochester
    I'd try to work it out with my brother first. Maybe this is part of a bigger problem? I'm betting we don't know the whole story here and under normal circumstances I'd say none of our business but when asking for advice and expecting good advice we'd need to know the full story. Give him a fixed period of time to make good then report the theft.

This is what I'm thinking. The whole story, he was doing good when I lent it to him and the next thing I know he was back doing drugs and alcohol. I should have known better.

Top Bottom