What would you like to see in a restaurant?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    That is a hard subject :( with all the stupid going round (my opinion) ,stuff like McDonalds taking the big mac off the menu next month cause people said its too fatning ... If your worried about your weight -don't eat the damn thing ..... Sorry about the rant . My self I like breakfast the best . descent prices , I visit one place now that charges $2.79 for a glass of milk ,, come on now ,I know they need to make profit - but one glass of milk at a gallon price.
    ok ok im ranting -but prices do make or brake a restaurant .
    1) Breakfast served at any time
    2) offer the unusual like bacon wrapped roast , chicken etc
    3) different vegtables besides green beans

ok ill shut up now

mcDonalds ain't getting rid of the Big Mac, shadow!

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I'm an old guy that likes home "cookin". In our area there are two or three restaurants that adhere to that principle and their cooks need to be trained and retrained, in my opinion. A good home cooked meal for a decent price is hard to find in this world in which we live.

The price point for a meal of a meat, two vegetables, salad, and desert along with drink, would probably drive you out of business within a year. Unless you have very deep pockets, you would be monetarily wiser to remain bored. "Nuf Sed"

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    As much as the more exotic meats sounds nice there is a reason why you don't see it that often and that is because it can be expensive.

I ate a Buffalo steak in Hayes, Ks, Ostrich leg in Rogersville, Tn, both very tasty, both very expensive, not for the average hard working family. Those two experiences set the wife and I back close to $150.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    If you get me with good crispy crust fresh baked white bread, followed by an excellent salad, I will forgive much that comes after. In many places, the appetizers blow away the entrees. This may be why there are more and more small plate places opening (though not my favorite). Consistency. Wait staff that knows the product and gives informed suggestions if asked. Difficult business to succeed in unless you go down scale. Many restaurants have one dish that stands out and is unusual. I've toyed with the idea of consolidating those dishes in one restaurant. Of course, that is my taste, and maybe my wife's. We both cook and can claim that our own cooking blows away most restaurants and is healthy as well. Good luck.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Consistency. I really hate going to a restaurant, getting a good meal, going the next week or so, ordering the same thing, and it tastes like crap.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I hate McDonalds the last time I went thru the drive thru and they opened that window it stinks so bad.... Wendy's or Burger King for me.... Real good home cooked food is so hard to find, unless your at home.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I ate a Buffalo steak in Hayes, Ks, Ostrich leg in Rogersville, Tn, both very tasty, both very expensive, not for the average hard working family. Those two experiences set the wife and I back close to $150.

IDK, personally I don't mind a good meal being expensive at a restaurant, but I don't eat out much. At the same time I like eating out to be an experience too, not eating out just because.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    A good, thick steak. No one seems to carry those any more, even 'steak houses'. Always too thin. A good steak should be at least 2" thick.

Keep the menu somewhat narrowed down. Having '400' items on the menu may sound great, but it cuts into profits as many items must be kept on hand (and fresh) even though they're infrequently ordered. It's silly.

Focus on few, high quality items, and keep the 'house specialty' items to just 1 or 2. Do a few things really well, rather than a lot of things mediocre.

Better to have a small(er) restaurant that's always full and reservations for more than a big restaurant that's always half-empty.

JMO. YMMV.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    A good, thick steak. No one seems to carry those any more, even 'steak houses'. Always too thin. A good steak should be at least 2" thick.

Keep the menu somewhat narrowed down. Having '400' items on the menu may sound great, but it cuts into profits as many items must be kept on hand (and fresh) even though they're infrequently ordered. It's silly.

Focus on few, high quality items, and keep the 'house specialty' items to just 1 or 2. Do a few things really well, rather than a lot of things mediocre.

Better to have a small(er) restaurant that's always full and reservations for more than a big restaurant that's always half-empty.

JMO. YMMV.

+1 good solid advice and totally agree...

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I agree with Yote Hunter.
    Don't get spread too thin, and find something unique and do it well.
    the restaurant has my area that does the best, serves breakfast and lunch items and is closed by 2:00 p.m. It's always full, they're very reasonably priced.Much of it also depends on where you aregeographically.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    All these recommendations for breakfast is there really that big of a need out there. The only reason I wouldn't do it is because I would use the morning hours to be baking bread and preparing desserts for the day.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, and if you're gonna craft a unique eatery and not just franchise a fast food eatery, you have to craft your own eating challenge to get on Man vs. Food or some such TV program. Some obnoxiously large serving of food for an equally obnoxiously high price, but if the orderer can finish it in some obnoxiously short period of time, they get it free.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Oh, and if you're gonna craft a unique eatery and not just franchise a fast food eatery, you have to craft your own eating challenge to get on Man vs. Food or some such TV program. Some obnoxiously large serving of food for an equally obnoxiously high price, but if the orderer can finish it in some obnoxiously short period of time, they get it free.

Like this place.....Tony?s I-75 Restaurant - Birch Run, MI | Yelp

They use 11,000 pounds of bacon a week. I once had a banana split there.......and it was over a gallon of ice cream, took 4 of us to try to eat it! Breakfast has 1 to 1 1/2 pound of bacon on it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom