• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    with all the over in flated ammo prices out there now...i just wonder what the majority of us would find a good deal on brass .556 in bulk form these days?...seems like all of us are looking ,but refuse to pay panic prices.

your thoughts

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Even before the panic pricing, I was rolling my own. At that time I was still paying more than generic bulk ammo price, but I was shooting match quality ammo. I am still using components that I bought then, so it costs me 40-50 cents a shot. I would pay 75 to 85 cents a shot for 75 grain quality match ammo, but that is not likely to happen in this lifetime.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was buying M855 OTD at $190.00/1000 6-8 years ago.

Pre '13 shortage I was seeing it at $300-330.00/1000...

Post '13 shortage... Who knows what the new " low" will be after all settles... $400.00/1000 wouldn't shock me.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I'm not all that interested at anything over $350/1000.

This. It was the summer of 2011 and Widener's was selling 1200 round cases of IMI M193 for $318 and M855 for $349. That sale went on for weeks. If I would have known then what I know now, I would've bought some. Even so, I'm not looking. I reload so my only interest is in components.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I'm not all that interested at anything over $350/1000.
    Tell me this once ammo gets here, after all this dies down is about right. I bet you'll pay it then, or you'll reload or both. I was angry when AK ammo went from $78/1K to $125/1000 but when I was out of my supply, I paid. Then as Xtreme Vel has said each drought or run has cause a new increase and each time you either learned to love it or you stopped shooting completely.

This. It was the summer of 2011 and Widener's was selling 1200 round cases of IMI M193 for $318 and M855 for $349. That sale went on for weeks. If I would have known then what I know now, I would've bought some. Even so, I'm not looking. I reload so my only interest is in components.

I did buy some then, more than some really. I never pass up a good deal. That's sort of how one manages to avoid paying a lot before it really has to be done. I try to always have a few K or everything I shoot on hand and if I already have some a deal comes along, I buy that too and shoot as I go.

==============

I never said this would become a rich man's sport overnight. I said this will happen incrementally until ammo reaches a point where the price f ammo makes shooting less possible for "regular folks." As this continues many people will shoot less for this new increase as it isn't in the budget. Then next run will do this all over again. And so on until it becomes something most people do on special occasions only. Then it ill reach a point where those occasions get farther spaced out in time until it becomes a maybe once a year thing and... ...you get where I'm going by now i hope.

Is it hard to believe or must it be some loony conspiracy to think who hate our hobby know this as well? Is it a further reach to think that when they loose in the legislature they might turn to think that those same folks might even stir the fear and take an opportunity to make a lot of money off of us by buying up ammo and flipping it? Clearly, unless someone comes forward to admit this is being done, it can't be proven. I've been on a few Antigun forums where this is spoken about, why not think they are following through?

Face it, we are killing our own hobby by buying all the flipped ammo. Once the flipper or gougers or whatever name you give them find themselves awash in ammo they can no longer flip, this stops and prices and supplies return to the new, higher pricing (not the lower ones of pre-panic). There will be a few things going back to "normal" and I am sure I will hear about it here, but I am equally certain that looking at a bigger picture you will see man overall increase above any sort of reasonable market correction. These have happened EVERY time I have been through this sort of thing and every time there are plenty of complaints but people start paying the new price, even though they grumble while doing it.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    No different than paying 200 dollars for a stupid football ticket or 12 for a hockey ticket. That has become a rich mans hobby also.

indeed. I used to go to a lot of Blackhawk Games when I lived in the area. No way I can afford the ticket anymore.
    The old Chicago Arena was a lot more fun to watch the game in as well.

and so it goes so enjoy shooting while you can...

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Yes, obviously prices will rise and nobody will be able to buy ammo. NOBODY is going to try to find ways to manufacture it cheaper so they can make a profit off of a market need. They'll only keep prices up to keep ammo on the shelves, because companies HATE making money.

It's a conspiracy!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom