• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    A guy I know (ha) is going to be living in Cincinnati Monday through Friday for 15 weeks starting in January. He'll be driving back and forth to Indy at least once per week, and he'll be staying in a walk-out efficiency basement while there. He will have limited options for weapons in Ohio (no handgun, weird knife laws), and he's starting with a total of zero survival supplies. This guy, like many of us, also has a wife-imposed budget for this kind of stuff. Let's call it $100, give or take.

The goal is to be prepared for the most common issues one could run into. Versatility is key.

What do you take? Feel free to ask clarifying question. I have somewhat of a list planned, but I would really appreciate untainted opinions from the gurus here.

This looks like a good start. Fill it up. LAPG Tactical Bail Out Gear Bag Best Seller

Last edited:

Rob52pars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    When ever i travel over the border and stay in Chicago, i always bring:

Small first aid bag.
    Small tactical flashlight.
    Leatherman tool.
    Energy bars.
    Bottled water.

I also make sure that my fuel tank is always full in case i have to get out of dodge. You never know how far you will have to drive to get back home.
    Also, since its winter, he should keep extra blankets and hand warmers in his trunk.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If my budget was $100 the last thing I would buy is a bag. You can use old brief cases, laptop bags or whatever you can find at goodwill. Old Laptop bags are HUGE. My old LandsEnd laptop bag is big enough to be a carry on bag on a plane.

In the 90's I made the drive from Indy to Cincy off and on almost every week over a 2 year period. Leave on Tuesday after a meeting, stay in a hotel one or two nights, back in Indy on Thursday morning by 8am.

This was also not my first go round with Cincy, in the 80's I lived in Atlanta but traveled to Cincy off and on with AT&T.

In short order I had a Colt Mustang Pocket lite in my suit coat, a Glock in my brief case, mace and knives all over the place. I ran into more crap in that town and on the roads then I ever did in Atlanta or Indy.

Most valuable items: Gasoline, cell phone and an ice scrapper. My truck had dual gas tanks and I kept them full. Put the $100 into a prepaid CC and stash it on himself than add $200 cash to that. I would pull over at the rest stop half way back to knock snow and ice off my truck as it seemed to snow a lot those years.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    It's going to take him a long time to get prepared at 100 a week. I'd say just make a get home bag. 15-20 miles a day walking, 1 day driving and get everything he needs for that. A decent pepper spray will work or he can get a Utah handgun permit. I think Ohio still honors those.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I believe Ohio still honors the Utah permit, but time wise I think he waited too long. When I turned my completed application in after the training they require it was still a good six weeks before I got the I.D.

This guy should already have supplies stocked in his vehicle. Since it sounds like he doesn't he has a lot to consider.

$100 will buy lots of stuff for starting... food, water and shelter. Minimum standards. Make positive the vehicle is in good working order. Learn some things quick like. Under a month doesn't give much time to absorb a lot of information.

Extra clothes he has already, e-blankets are cheap and multi-use items, food and water should already be available, protection from strangers will be whatever he can legally obtain in short order. I know of people (ahem) that travel armed no matter where they go. Risk is worth considering.

Planning ahead would have made it easier on him though.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    +Rob52pars. My EDC and small duffle/shave kit. If going more than 50 miles, add more or less snacks, clothes, etc.
    My last trip was official business for my PD, so carried my issued firearm(S&W M66)and handcuffs and returned a prisoner for trial. One day up and back. Long drive,but good weather.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    In our area the snow in the past couple of years hasn't been bad and the road he will be on is well traveled. My first concern would be that the car was serviced and in good order. Also keep the tank full and locked.

Then I would put some snacks and a blanket or two in the car. If some thing goes wrong a police officer will be along in an hour or so to see if you need help.

As far as Ohio gun laws, they are not as rough as Indiana's. You don't have to go to the police to get permission to buy a hand gun. They do have very restrictive travel laws on hand guns. They have to be unloaded and under lock and key and away from the ammo.

As far as working in Cincinnati, I have never had any problems. Don't get me wrong Cincinnati is a big city and some one gets killed there just about every night. I think that is the norm for most big cities.

Last edited:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    In our area the snow in the past couple of years hasn't been bad

this is true. however indiana is prone to ice storms that can shut down the state for a couple days, or weeks if anyone remembers 91 (92?)

in the last one, early 2011 i think, indy was down for a couple days. further north here, we had a code black, which I think it was considered illegal to travel - all business closed. you dont see cops for days, let alone hours.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Last time I checked (4 months ago) it is legal to open carry in Ohio but you have to have a license to conceal carry. You can't carry so many feet from a school, gov. Property or a bar. If you have it in the car with you the mag has to be unloaded and in a seperate location in the vehicle. They count a loaded mag as a loaded weapon if I remember right but you can call the statehouse and double check.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Last time I checked (4 months ago) it is legal to open carry in Ohio but you have to have a license to conceal carry. You can't carry so many feet from a school, gov. Property or a bar. If you have it in the car with you the mag has to be unloaded and in a seperate location in the vehicle. They count a loaded mag as a loaded weapon if I remember right but you can call the statehouse and double check.

OC is legal in ohio yes... but Indiana LTCH isnt valid in OH. these are situations where i LOVE my Sub2k. folds under my seat nicely and legal in I think every state.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    It is my under standing that your sub 2k under the seat would be a concealed weapon in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana. I was told by a lawyer that I could carry a shot gun in my trunk or back seat as long as I didn't hide it. That was for in Indiana.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    It is my under standing that your sub 2k under the seat would be a concealed weapon in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana. I was told by a lawyer that I could carry a shot gun in my trunk or back seat as long as I didn't hide it. That was for in Indiana.

Find a new attorney, the one you spoke to is a moron.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Meister please explain. Are you telling me I can't have a shot gun in my car or trunk? How is he a moron.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Meister please explain. Are you telling me I can't have a shot gun in my car or trunk? How is he a moron.
    He's an attorney with no idea about the gun laws of Indiana. Indiana doesn't regulate the transport of long guns in any way as long as you are allowed to possess one. You can wear it as a hat while driving down the road if you please, as long as you don't point it at anyone, you're not breaking the law. Please, find a new attorney and give us the name of this one so we can avoid them.

Edit: An attorney willing to give advice without knowing the law is the worst possible type you could ever encounter. They have insurance because of the damage their negligence can cause.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Thank you much for the information. I would have to hunt through my divorce papers to find his name. That was some 14 or so years ago. I don't remember his name.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    He's an attorney with no idea about the gun laws of Indiana. Indiana doesn't regulate the transport of long guns in any way as long as you are allowed to possess one. You can wear it as a hat while driving down the road if you please, as long as you don't point it at anyone, you're not breaking the law. Please, find a new attorney and give us the name of this one so we can avoid them.

Edit: An attorney willing to give advice without knowing the law is the worst possible type you could ever encounter. They have insurance because of the damage their negligence can cause.

I gotta get me one of those fancy hats. That would look so cool!

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Actually, IIRC, a handgun in the glovebox in KY is not considered concealed carry...though under the seat may be...not sure...I would check handgunlaw.us for starters, consult the links to the appropriate states' sites that they provide as insurance.

Edit: Ah...you said sub 2k...a long gun...definitely check handgunlaw.us for other states...in IN, don't be a prohibited person and don't point it; I can't say I'd wear one as a hat, though....personal preference

Top Bottom