• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    The Federal Trade Commission has approved a controversial firm which scours social media sites to check on job applicants.

It means anything you've ever said in public on sites including Facebook, Twitter and even Craigslist could be seen by your would-be employer.

The Washington-based commission has ruled the firm, Social Intelligence Corporation, complies with the Fair Credit Reporting Act - even though it keeps the results of its searches on file for seven years.

It raises the frightening prospect of any social media posting, even it's years old or was meant as a joke, being used in background checks.

Applicants who use online pseudonyms aren't safe, either - the firm uses special software to link those nicknames with real, offline names known to employers

Read more: How anything you've EVER said on the internet could be seen by employers as government approves Social Intelligence Corp | Mail Online

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    like I havent ever told a boss to go **** himself if he's being a prick or told them they suck at what they are doing and why. they will get loyalty and honesty from me. thats what they pay for. all they have to do is ask and i will tell them the truth in the interview about whatever or after it. I keep my personal views in check when im with a company because its called RESPECT and im on their time. Im not a loose cannon. Id rather have the guy who I know will always be straight up with me working for me than the little ***** thats gonna talk behind my back and lose business for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Good_Luck_Im_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Unless you are happy with what you put on the Internet being on the front page of your local paper, DON'T PUT IT ON THE INTERNET. It IS that simple.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'm with E5RANGER375.

I'm candid 24/7, not just on social media sites. Most all of the people I work with follow me on many/most social platforms I participate on. I'm not about to change my mind about life because somebody I work with, or for, doesn't agree with me. If they want to fire me, fine. I got this job, I'll get another.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For a whole host of reasons I am careful about what I say online or in email or any other traceable format, this is just one. I once had an employer threaten to fire my fiancee if she married me because he didn't like things I'd posted online (that had nothing to do with him or his business).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I know a few employers who have been going on facebook to check out employee candidates. This is especially true if the candidates were coming out of college and applying for their first job. This is nothing new, but on a larger scale.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I have a buddy that almost didn't get hired because the prospective employer went on his facebook page and seen pics of the tattoos covering his entire torso and arms.....some of them aryan. He got hired......but got fired 3 months later.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    If I don't get hired because some employer looked at my FB page then I'm pretty sure I wouldn't of wanted to work there anyways.

Course you can always block the amount of info people see on your FB page without befriending you.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    If I don't get hired because some employer looked at my FB page then I'm pretty sure I wouldn't of wanted to work there anyways.

Unless the employer offers great benefits and bonuses, etc....which they do.

Course you can always block the amount of info people see on your FB page without befriending you.

True. I did the facebook thing for a while. I think I still have a fake profile set up but I just don't mess with FB anymore. It's both surprising and pathetic at the amount of private info people release on that platform about themselves, whether knowingly or not. I'm sure Big Brother couldn't be happier.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I work for myself so I say whatever I want I don't think my boss will care, in fact I think we have a lot in common. but then again I've never been one to not just say whatever I'm thinking like an old man with Alzheimers even when I was employed by a company other than myself.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Unless the employer offers great benefits and bonuses, etc....which they do.

True. I did the facebook thing for a while. I think I still have a fake profile set up but I just don't mess with FB anymore. It's both surprising and pathetic at the amount of private info people release on that platform about themselves, whether knowingly or not. I'm sure Big Brother couldn't be happier.
    :): What employer are you talking about? Not all of them provide good benefits if any at all.

As for the government, my info is nothing they couldn't have found out through other means or already have.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There was (maybe still is) a government program in the works to compile every bit and byte of digital info on everyone.

From credit spending to the movies you rent to the books you read, everything.

Total Information Awareness.

It was supposedly stopped by congress around a decade ago. You bet your ass they just didn't pull the plug. Someone somewhere has been developing it - private industry - or government, whatever.

The guy that was heading it up should have gone to prison for the Watergate thing. Why he's still involved in any government agency. baffles me.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    They can't hold anything against you as long as you say, "just kidding," highlight in purple, or use a smiley face.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

Please keep in mind that this tends to be ineffective. There is an administrative function of Facebook which allows the user to search and see EVERY aspect of your profile. It's commonly used by Law Enforcement, especially Corrections, and I see no reason why a prospective employer could not have access to the same administrative function as well. :twocents:

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Please keep in mind that this tends to be ineffective. There is an administrative function of Facebook which allows the user to search and see EVERY aspect of your profile. It's commonly used by Law Enforcement, especially Corrections, and I see no reason why a prospective employer could not have access to the same administrative function as well. :twocents:

I think I should make it clear that I don't really care who looks at my profile, so this is a moot point.

Top Bottom