• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    After most of the first mowing season at my new house I've decided my Deere 54" tractor has to go. It takes me about 4 hours to mow my lawn. I've been doing a lot of research on mowers in my price range (5-6k). Really leaning towards the husqvarna m-zt 61. I'd like to hear what some you use and how you like them. My yard has no real slopes and is fairly open. Also I may eventually start mowing another. 2-3 acres that currently get bailed.
    Also wondering if anyone has experience with southern indiana equipment. Right now they're offering the same mower for 1000 less than my local dealer.

Thatguythere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Monrovia,In
    I'm in the same situation as you. I'm leaning toward a comercial mower. We have been using a toro for the last two years. It is too small to handle the job. We have made it work.
    I was looking at the husqvarna. It was mentioned in a lot of the top reviews. As I was talking to the sales guy, he explained to me that it would not do the Job I'm looking to accomplish. I think you would be good with your choice.
    I'm looking at getting a Scag tiger cat or cheetah.
    I cut about 7 acres. Some flat, some rough and hilly.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Lovin every minute of it...
    fastrak01_zpsf54359e6.jpg

We have 4-5 acres, fairly flat, but bumpy. 60" cut, takes about 2.5 hrs.
    I wish I would have gone with the pro, for the air ride seat due to the bumps, but we manage.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We a VENTRAC 3000 series for the lawn and the hills around the house, but a diesel tractor with a rear deck for the fields. It will do a 'figure 8' on a slope that will cause a traditional lawn tractor to roll over. Not quite a ZTR, but much more capable on hills and slopes. 4 wheel drive, articulated frame that also oscillates 8 degrees.

Ventrac is an almost unknown commercial brand, very unusual, but designed to mow where most mowers are incapable of going.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I cut grass as my part time job. I have been doing it for about 7 years now. My #1 reason for choosing my walk behind was who sells what the closest to my house. That is because if I need parts fast I don't want to drive long to get back to the job at hand. I have a 52" Ferris WB that I bought used 4 years ago and couldn't be happier with it. In those years I have replaced 1 pulley and 1 hydro hose connector. They are by far the strongest frame ztr's on the market. Plus they have shocks on all 4 wheels. If you can wait and don't mind buying used I would wait till after mowing season and catch a deal on a 1 or 2 year old unit that a fly by nighter bought because he thought mowing grass was easy work. -Jason

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have been mower shopping lately too. My yard is ROUGH. Mid mount zero turns on my yard beat me to death. The one exception is a Ferris with a full suspension. Front mounts, like a Grasshopper have a much nicer ride on a bumpy lawn, but you have to be careful not to swing the back end around into something.

We a VENTRAC 3000 series for the lawn and the hills around the house, but a diesel tractor with a rear deck for the fields. It will do a 'figure 8' on a slope that will cause a traditional lawn tractor to roll over. Not quite a ZTR, but much more capable on hills and slopes. 4 wheel drive, articulated frame that also oscillates 8 degrees.

My buddy has a couple of Steiners that are very similar. They are cool little tractors with an amazing amount of attachments.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I mow, probably 3-4 acres every week, a few trees, but not very hilly, and I use a Skag Turf Tiger. It's on its 10th season and is still running well. The only things I've had to fix are a flat tire, an idler pully on the deck (bearing went out last season) and the PTO switch. But like was mentioned up thread, bumpy yards mean bumpy rides on these things.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have been mower shopping lately too. My yard is ROUGH. Mid mount zero turns on my yard beat me to death. The one exception is a Ferris with a full suspension. Front mounts, like a Grasshopper have a much nicer ride on a bumpy lawn, but you have to be careful not to swing the back end around into something.
    This is something that people often overlook!

My buddy has a couple of Steiners that are very similar. They are cool little tractors with an amazing amount of attachments.
    As I understand it, Steiner and Ventrac machines were developed by the same family. They sold the Steiner company to a large firm that they believed mismanaged the brand so they opened shop under the Ventrac name with some improvements over the older Steiner design.

But yes, amazingly capable machines with lots of attachments, far more capable than similar sized tractors because of their design.

Not quite as fast as a ZTR, but able to do much more work than a ZTR.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Thanks for the replies! The hustler fastrak was another one I've been thinking very seriously about. A little more expensive than the husqvarna I'm looking at. And the trans are 3100's where the husqvarna has 3400's. I was looking at different options from Deere as we have a local dealer. However I'm not inclined to pay 1k for green paint. The more research I did the less I liked deere.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I've been using a Commercial Exmark the last few years. We mow a few acres and put about 100 hours per year on the mower. It's approaching 1000 hours now and we haven't done anything to it except oil and filter changes. It's built strong (weighs about 1200 lbs) and fast. If rough ground is a problem get the suspension seat, it makes a big difference in comfort.

Buy from a professional mower shop. Stay away from the big box stores.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    However I'm not inclined to pay 1k for green paint.

That green paint adds at least 3HP.;)

My family has never bought a tractor that wasn't green. That said, if I wanted a commercial quality zero turn, it definitely wouldn't be a green one.

Deere's lasted push to consolidate dealerships has left me less than pleased. With only one source for tractors and parts within 200 miles, you are pretty much at their mercy.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Yea I really have nothing against deere. Quality machines but in the mower section they just run too high in price for what you get.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    Kubota diesel 60" cut. Plenty of power good cut. Right at 5 yrs old hoping to get many more years out of the mower, it has been great so far.

Top Bottom