• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I remember watching The Terminator as a kid and falling in the love with the SPAS 12ga the Arnald used minus the stock. I don't hear much of them anymore besides the occasional listing on a forum. The Benelli M3 & M4 are better options....as I'm told. Complaints of the SPAS are it's weight, safety or lack of one, and I can't remember the rest of the negative press it gets. Does anyone know of it's strengths? Should we steer away from them if given the opportunity to get one?

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    There is a neat new 12 gauge called a MKA 1919. Its a 12 gauge like an ar15. I don't know much about the SPAS but I do dig the 12 gauge semi-autos....

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    They were heavy jammomatics that only sold as well as they did because of their looks. They were the answer to a question that was never asked and probably never will be asked.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    and I can't remember the rest of the negative press it gets. Does anyone know of it's strengths? Should we steer away from them if given the opportunity to get one?

From what I have read they are utterly unreliable. The SPAS was an Auto/Pump hybrid and from what I have heard it was very finicky in either mode of fire.

It would be a very neat collectors piece, but if SHTF I will go for my FN SLP.

If you want a cool looking and totally reliable Auto 12 get a VEPR-12

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    They were heavy jammomatics that only sold as well as they did because of their looks. They were the answer to a question that was never asked and probably never will be asked.

Didn't the SPAS 12 answer the same call the Benelli M3 did? In the infancy of auto-loaders they were finicky about what loads they'd cycle with. So they developed an auto-loader that had a switch your could flip and turn it into a pump gun to cycle the action and use loads that didnt' generate enough UMPH to gas cycle the action.

Edit: Kawtech87 snuck in before me and said the same thing.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I had the opportunity to shoot a Spas 12 back in the late 80's. It was heavy, unreliable in the semi mode, and when you switched to pump it felt as if you were pumping against the recoil spring. The folding stock was as uncomfortable as anything I've ever seen and on a 12 gauge it was miserable. I suppose they are desirable from a collector standpoint as they have that "80's assault weapon cool factor", but as a practical defensive shotgun there are far better things available. (FN SLP, Benelli, etc.) If a person wants a wicked looking shotgun I'd go with the Saiga 12 over the Spas 12 any day. Just my :twocents:

Get one of these if you want something different. Impractical maybe and not a commercial success but at least they work.

Strakele

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I just got one, and it is entirely awesome.

After using it, I have to believe that all the complaints you see about weight are from people who used it with the folding stock (which I assume for their sake is made of steel and weighs several pounds) or girly men. I have the full synthetic stock version. Unloaded it's no heavier than a basic 870 loaded with 5 or 6 shells. I'm not a big guy and it really isn't bad. Not the lightest thing out there for sure, but it's not the unwieldy brick people make it out to be.

People complain that you're screwed if you lose the gas piston o-ring. But it uses the same o-ring as a Remington 1100/1187 and other 12ga shotguns and are available everywhere.

People complain that the stock recoil shock absorber will crack after a while. This is true, but you can get replacements for cheap.

People complain that it's unreliable and will only cycle slugs and full power buck in semi. When I got mine, I cleaned and lubed it and took it out to the range and it cycled Federal 1-1/8oz #8 low brass 1200fps birdshot without missing a beat. Wasn't hard to hit clays with it either. I don't have thousands of rounds through it yet, but so far it's been 100% and I don't expect that to change.

People complain that it's too complicated. It's no more difficult to take apart than any other semi auto shotgun. The only 'annoying' thing is you have to push the carrier release to load shells in the tube. Other than that, the only other 'extra' feature is the magazine cut off which you don't have to use if you don't want to. In both pump and semi auto, the bolt locks back on the last round, which I like and is useful.

It is true that in pump mode, you're pumping it back against the recoil spring. But as you pump forward the recoil spring is assisting you.

It is true that the old style safety was recalled, and that if you're looking to buy one, you should look for the new style safety. And even if you get the old safety, nothing says you have to use it. It has a second quick deployment safety as well, on both the lever and push button safety versions.

It is true that factory accessories are expensive. You can find all of them on Gunbroker, so I wouldn't say they're hard to find, but they aren't cheap.

The only other thing is that the rear sling mount isn't exactly in the best place.

After looking at several threads on several forums about the SPAS-12 before, during, and after buying it, it really seems like the same issues get reposted and repeated without much thought, often by people who haven't ever owned one.

I thoroughly enjoy mine and plan to for many years to come. :rockwoot:

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    The one I fired did have the horrible folding stock. I remember thinking when they came out with the fixed stock that it would be a noticeable improvement. But I always thought of the whole pump/auto design as an ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem. I wouldn't necessarily want a Benelli M3 for that reason. I know the reviews at the time were lousy and the only organization that seemed to adopt the Spas was Hollywood. And after shooting the one I shot I decided I didn't want one myself. I can't speak for the condition of it, and some maintenance may have indeed helped it's reliability. No shotgun with 7 or 8 rounds in the mag is really light but the balance is what I didn't care for on the Spas. And I grew up with a shotgun in my hands and don't really like the pistol grip on any of them.
    All that being said, I found your post really interesting. And if she's working well for you then that's what it's all about. The High Standard Model 10A in the pic I posted is not what I would pick up and use for self defense. It's more of a step in the long evolution of fighting shotguns. And I thought it was cool so I bought it. It never made it because it did require 2 3/4" mags to function, it beat up your bicep with the swiveling butt pad, and although they did make a few, most of them didn't have extended magazines.
    But that's what's fun about this stuff. We all like what we like and enjoy what we have. So have fun with her. You'll most certainly get attention at the range. Tell everyone it's for defense against velociraptors.......however they won't get the drop on you because you don't have to waste time unfolding the stock. :):

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Really had no issues with the SPAS-12. If you find one, buy it.

- Look for the pushbutton safety on the trigger and not the lever safety.
    - Try to get one with an extended magazine. (about as long as the barrel)
    - Look for one with a folding stock. Personal preference but if you get one, you'll want one with a hook. If not, they're being remade. (hook is both a handle and a one arm shooting rig)
    - Try for the one with the front sight that is all the way at the end of the barrel. Some have like a barrel extension and the front sight is about 5-6 inches from the end.
    - If you can find one with any accessories like the sling, choke tubes or the gun tool. Jump on it.
    - The Diverter or Shot Spreader accessory. The most expensive accessory out there. Find this (for a decent price) and your golden.

- If shot a bunch, you'll probably be replacing the receiver and folding stock shock absorbers. (o-rings are a given)

This gun is fun to shoot. This gun is dependable to shoot.
    In a pinch you can stop the magazine from feeding and throw a "special" round into the chamber if you wish.
    It is chambered for 2.75" shells ONLY. But so are the Remington 1100s.

You could always get it's successor. The SPAS-15.
    It was also a semiauto-pump but had a detachable magazine and is much lighter.
    You will find them but good luck affording it.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Just did some checking and the price seems to run $3200.00 to $3400.00. And the shot diverter I found for sale is $750.00.

Strakele

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    It isn't the best shotgun for everyone, I just felt like a lot of the "issues" are really overblown.

Agreed with everything you said Dead Duck except for the part about the stock. The folder seems to be slightly more desirable from a collector standpoint, but if you want to shoot the thing, get the fixed synthetic stock. It's lighter weight and more comfortable to shoot.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just did some checking and the price seems to run $3200.00 to $3400.00. And the shot diverter I found for sale is $750.00.

That's a good price for the SPAS - 15.

The SPAS-12s have been a steady 1000 - 1200 with some "stupid" prices higher.
    I've seen a few diverters out there go for 300 to 350 just last month. They're out there.

This one's on GB now with the pushbutton safety, top folder, hook, extended mag, prefered front sight and he replaced the receiver buffer already.
    1300 for a "Buy It Now" is decent without having to find any preferred parts. If I had the extra money, I'd jump on it myself. (I'd be eating top ramen for the next 3 months)

Franchi SPAS 12 Dual mode shotgun : Other Shotguns at GunBroker.com

Last edited:

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I have one with the hook and push button safety that I bought as an investment and I'm trying to talk myself into keeping it. The sad part is that I brought it home, cleaned it, and put it in the safe. That's right, I've never shot it.....SMH!:wallbash:

Last edited:

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I have one with the hook and push button safety that I bought as an investment and I'm trying to talk myself into keeping it. The sad part is that I brought it home, cleaned it, and put it in the safe. That's right, I've never shot it.....SMH!:wallbash:

You know who else never shot it. The hunter from Jurassic Park. That is when I first saw the Spas.12.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I know who has my two old SAPS-12's. He may even be on this forum as I sold them both to someone here in IN back when I was in IL.

Honestly, I kept mine for the sake of my one time collection but I never liked how they handled or how easy they were to switch from semi-pump.
    Both of mine had folding stocks complete with the Hook they are known for, one was NIB. I fired the used one a lot before I came to dislike it too.

They are cool looking and I admit, I used to say, "I'll Be Back" every time I took them to the range for some odd reason.
    The only thing they had going for them IMO was that it would fit into the rigid saddlebags on my HD Road King. :)

I sold mine for stupid money during the first Obamarama... :spend:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have 3 SPAS 12s and 2 M3's. They are like night and day.
    If you maintain your SPAS it's not only reliable, but a pleasure to shoot. There are a couple of wear and tear parts that need to be maintained but they are still available. It's biggest drawback is the fact it only handles 2 3/4 shells.
    The pump/semi combo has never been a sporting application but a less lethal or specialty round / lethal combo in the same magazine tube.

The SPAS is an antiquated design that is still very functional and collectible.

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    You know who else never shot it. The hunter from Jurassic Park. That is when I first saw the Spas.12.

For many years in my youth I thought that he actually did get a shot off into the air as he was getting his face chomped off, wasn't til a couple years ago I figured out that was just one of the sounds effects they used in the movie that I believe was to simulate the raptor crashing into his body.

Top Bottom