• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwardrip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Evansville
    My son (12) currently hunts with a Remmington 870 20 ga. We hunt out of a buddy stand, which has a shooting rail. Im looking to get him a 44 rifle. Im looking for something lightweight that he can handle a little bit better. I have seen a Ruger 77/44, but dont know much about those either. What do you guys reccomend? :dunno:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The two leaders here seem to be Marlin 1894's (pricey) and H&R Handi-Rifles (not pricey).

I picked up a handi rifle at Gander for $250 ish last year. They are more than accurate enough for IN deer.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    You could look into a Marlin 44, they are an awesome deer rifle. One nice thing is you can use the factory sights, put on peep sights or since they are drilled and tapped you can scope it.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The H&R is a great rifle for the price. I am bias toward T/C Contenders and Encores but you have to spend money on a custom barrel to get one in a rifle form.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    My son (12) currently hunts with a Remmington 870 20 ga. We hunt out of a buddy stand, which has a shooting rail. Im looking to get him a 44 rifle. Im looking for something lightweight that he can handle a little bit better. I have seen a Ruger 77/44, but dont know much about those either. What do you guys reccomend? :dunno:

Your SON will love the RUGER MODEL 44 carbine, it's a semi-auto 44 MAGNUM:twocents:

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Where are you located? If close come on down to Bedford and shoot it. I have a ruger carbine that I am considering selling. I have used it the last 2 years and it is a shooter. Both deer I killed were DRT. Send me an email rjmcduffee@hotmail.com

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have a Marlin 1894, a Rossi Lever Action 44, a Henry, Handi Rifle, and a Ruger 77/44. If I were to recommend one to hunt with for someone who wants more out of a rifle than just 44 it would be the Handi Rifle. If its just to deer hunt with then try the Ruger. Its light, smooth and nice to shoot.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    At 12 The handi rifle. Make the first shot count.

Plus it is going to get scratched up, dropped, left leaning against a wire fence/tree, Left at the gut pile and need to be retrieved after the drag ect> All of those I did with my single shot savage 20 gauge at 10-14 years old. When I quit being as stupid as that then dad bought me a wingmaster 870.

Wait on something more expensive for when he gets older and let the dings and scratches happen to the handi.

Steelworker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Allen County
    The H&R is a great rifle for the price. I am bias toward T/C Contenders and Encores but you have to spend money on a custom barrel to get one in a rifle form.

T/C makes a rifle length barrel in .44 mag for the encore. Just saw one at 21st Century in Bluffton. I dont remember the price though. That being said, I would get the Handi-rifle. I saw one at the Indy 1500 brand new for $229

Good Luck with whatever you end up with.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I LOVE my Marlin 1894. That said, if I were buying for a young hunter, It'd be the Handi-rifle. One can't say enough for being forced to take one shot at a time and trying to make each one count. Plus all the wear and tear stuff the others spoke of.
    IF you or he were leaning towards a lever action anyway, scour the want ads here, on Armslist and check Gunbroker. once in a while you'll run across a good deal on an older used one.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    You can't go wrong with a Marlin 1894. Shoots smooth, easy, and accurate. I've shot my buddy's Ruger 77/44. I didn't like it because the bolt came very close to the scope when you rack it. I guess I could get used to it if it was mine, but for the extra money, I see no reason to get used to it. The Marlin was just as accurate as the Ruger. I have never shot the HandiRifle, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. I wouldn't feel bad about a HandiRifle for a young hunter.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Take a good hard look at your son. What has he shot before? If he shoots a 10/22 well and likes it the offered Ruger carbine is a good choice, basically a scaled up 10/22. Bolt guns, the 77/44. I love my leverguns, but not everyone can manage their operation and a half cock notch isn't a safety. If he's a boys, boy and not the most responsible with his belongings, likes to empty your semi-auto as fast as he can, then by all means a single shot. HandiRifles are drilled and tapped for optics. Just remember keep his hunting and shooting safe and enjoyable, you and he will have memories to spare. Good Luck....:@ya:....Duce<><

korkskru

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Handi-rifle all the way. i have one and killed deer with it. paid 219.00 brand new at ft. wayne gun show. my wife shoots it with no problem. like a few others have said, for a 12 year old, its perfect. you can cut the stocks down or put replacement stocks on to fit the shooter as they grow. a simple scope or a red dot works great also. jmo. brian

ejscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Hancock Co.- New Palestine
    I love my Marlin 1894. There is something about a lever action that you just not going to get anywhere else. Maybe it's the whole cowboy thing. But they are well worth the $500. I just sighted mine in with the iron sights. Just need a good rest and tap the sights., or you could scope it. But i thing that takes the whole going back to how they use to hunt out of it. it's a great felling when you drop a deer at 100yds with iron sights.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Also look into the Handi-Rifle in .357 Magnum... then when he's ready ream it out to .357 Maximum loaded with Hornady 180gr SSP Interlocks or 200gr FTX bullets.

Top Bottom