• ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm a Colt AR fan without a doubt.
    That being said... I've heard from 2 people that I respect that Colt has had some QC issues as of late.
    I check out every gun thoroughly before I buy. EVERY GUN.
    IF you're qualified in knowing what to look for I'd be diligent IF I were you.
    IF NOT.... Deal with a reputable shop or take some help that does.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maybe the Colt expanse series.....but the 6920s are good to go as always. They may not look the prettiest, and will likely have scratches and crap finish right out of the box, but the mechanics will be sound. I'll take function over looks any day. Quality on the 6920 or other mil-spec Colts is absolutely still there. They hold the TDP, have .mil contracts, and their 6920s and other mil spec AR rifles come off the same line as our troops weapons. Most of the complaints are from people that are not ok with rack grade military grade weapons.....they aren't pretty to look at, but they run.

If you aren't ok with cosmetic issues, that's where BCM, LMT, DD, KAC, etc... come in. And you pay a premium over a Colt for it.

I'm a Colt AR fan without a doubt.
    That being said... I've heard from 2 people that I respect that Colt has had some QC issues as of late.
    I check out every gun thoroughly before I buy. EVERY GUN.
    IF you're qualified in knowing what to look for I'd be diligent IF I were you.
    IF NOT.... Deal with a reputable shop or take some help that does.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just bought a Palmetto State Armory AR kit with FN cold hammer forged barrel and an Anderson closed loop lower for less than 600 including FFL fee. The deals are out there.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    Maybe the Colt expanse series.....but the 6920s are good to go as always. They may not look the prettiest, and will likely have scratches and crap finish right out of the box, but the mechanics will be sound. I'll take function over looks any day. Quality on the 6920 or other mil-spec Colts is absolutely still there. They hold the TDP, have .mil contracts, and their 6920s and other mil spec AR rifles come off the same line as our troops weapons. Most of the complaints are from people that are not ok with rack grade military grade weapons.....they aren't pretty to look at, but they run.

If you aren't ok with cosmetic issues, that's where BCM, LMT, DD, KAC, etc... come in. And you pay a premium over a Colt for it.

Colt went bankrupt because the military stopped buying their rifles, and went with FNH (Belgian company). Colt got its ass kicked head to head, and QC continues to suck. Most people don't even know not too long ago Colt for civilians was a totally separate company from Colt providing military weapons, they just shared the brand/logo.

OP, I would buy S&W before a Colt

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Colt went bankrupt because the military stopped buying their rifles, and went with FNH (Belgian company). Colt got its ass kicked head to head, and QC continues to suck. Most people don't even know not too long ago Colt for civilians was a totally separate company from Colt providing military weapons, they just shared the brand/logo.

:rolleyes:Their QC sucks according to you, and your sample of ?? rifles? I have 5 6920's the newest being 3 months old, from Colt Defense, and the rest Colt Mfg. all are 100%. My time with S&W (2 rifles) left a lot to be desired, and they've been sold off down the river. BK's are nothing new in the gun world, hell Colts done it more than once. Some of Colts QC waned a bit here and there, but overall, the 6920 family is one of the best mid range rifles on the market. Regardless of what the interwebz says, all rifles and parts are not made the same. Pages and pages of M&P failings.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Go post this on m4c.....you will get wrecked. So much misinformation and fail in your post.

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    :rolleyes:Their QC sucks according to you, and your sample of ?? rifles? I have 5 6920's the newest being 3 months old, from Colt Defense, and the rest Colt Mfg. all are 100%. My time with S&W (2 rifles) left a lot to be desired, and they've been sold off down the river. BK's are nothing new in the gun world, hell Colts done it more than once. Some of Colts QC waned a bit here and there, but overall, the 6920 family is one of the best mid range rifles on the market. Regardless of what the interwebz says, all rifles and parts are not made the same. Pages and pages of M&P failings.

My sample is the procurement process of the Department of Defense, which put Colt against competitors and Colt did not perform. Don't take my word for it, just google it. I own 2 Colt 6920s and they are fine for plinking, not particularly accurate and no innovation. Even the new Trooper is about 10 years behind competitors. If you want to be a Colt fanboy, fine, but objectively there are better rifles for less money. Just my 2 cents for the OP

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol.....I'd like to see another rifle that's actually mil-spec for under $700 with an excellent free float barrel. You can't build one for the price Colt is selling the troopers right now. There is no better bang for the buck right now for a fully assembled duty grade rifle.

And regarding your accuracy issues.....Remember, a 6920 is a mil spec grunt rifle, not a precision piece. A group size of a couple inches with m855 is all that's needed. If you want precision, head on over to Larue or any of the other quality manufacturers that make more accurate rifles. But you're going to pay more than $700 for a quality one.

Also, Colt is back on with the DoD. Their current contract is joint with FN through about 2020 IIRC. Again, the 6920's are made on the same line our troops M4's are made on. They are good to go.

My sample is the procurement process of the Department of Defense, which put Colt against competitors and Colt did not perform. Don't take my word for it, just google it. I own 2 Colt 6920s and they are fine for plinking, not particularly accurate and no innovation. Even the new Trooper is about 10 years behind competitors. If you want to be a Colt fanboy, fine, but objectively there are better rifles for less money. Just my 2 cents for the OP

Last edited:

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    Lol.....I'd like to see another rifle that's actually mil-spec for under $700 with an excellent free float barrel. You can't build one for the price Colt is selling the troopers right now. There is no better bang for the buck right now for a fully assembled duty grade rifle

Where can you find a new Colt mil-spec rifle with FF handguard for UNDER $700? I'll wait

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

The 6920s are probably inaccurate because of the person behind the trigger. Don't blame the rifle for not being accurate.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Check slickguns.com . New 6920-r's have been going for just under $700 shipped frequently. They sell out at that price and are restocked every week or two. M4c has been all over this if you read there. They aren't pretty and have cosmetic defects fresh out of the box, but they run like a.....

$690.....looks like you just missed the boat. They'll get more in stock, though. Just keep watching.
    https://www.gunsmidwest.com/colt-le6920-r-trooper-5-56-16-30-blk.html

Where can you find a new Colt mil-spec rifle with FF handguard for UNDER $700? I'll wait

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have only been buying BCM lately, however I saw some posts in this thread about the Ruger MPR. I got my hands on one a few weeks ago at my LGS and they are very very nice. I don't think I've ever picked up an out of the box AR anywhere near it's price point either, I was impressed.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Were you involved with the process or just read about it? Have you worked in a DoD small arms shop, an AMSA, or other depot level maintenance facility in the small arms shop, hell, have you worked in a unit arms room? I have, at all levels. Procurement at that level has less to do with performance and more to do with politics, FN makes an extremely fine weapon, as does Colt. My experiences comes from hands on, not internet googleze! The S&W version is a good ENTRY level BUDGET rifle, not without its problems, GOOGLE it! I'm not a Colt fanboi, I own several, I also own DD, LMT, SIG, and my personal fave, BCM. ALL of them better examples than ANY S&W afterthought. If your 6920's aren't accurate, I'd suggest more ammo and training, as any mil-spec 6920 will shoot with the best of abilities of the average shooter. As stated if you're looking for sub-MOA at distance, buy correctly, an M&P isn't going to do any better than a 6920, it's time to look at spending more to get more.as an aside, if you can't do any better than plinking with your 6920's, I'll buy you two of your vaunted $500 M&P's and take that Colt JUNK off your hands?

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    So what about that $450 Aero Precision I bought? Here’s how I’m finishing it:

Apex 12.5” (2300) handguard: $205
    Magpul MOE SL Buttstock: $45

That’s $700 without sights, but a terrific free-float handguard. I’ll put a Leupold LCO on it with no BUIS (because I’m too old to ever be a soldier), add a few mags and a sling, and go have some fun. Going to be my first AR—I’m looking forward to learning it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Never ask after purchasing.

The Aero OEM rifles are good if you do not have the money for a 6920. Notice, you have the money for a 6920.....

Its a decent budget rifle. I'd buy one of those over a smith. Specs are better. Comes with a full auto profile bcg, ballistic advantage barrel, etc...

The trick is to not put more money into it than you have to. I wouldn't put a $200+ rail on it. Put an ALG or other excellent, but cheap, rail on it. Get someone's take off buttstock off of eBay. Keep the budget rifle a budget rifle. And if you have the money for a 6920, get that instead.

Or hell, if you want to wrench a bit, the Sionics kit at westernsport is an absolutely stupid deal. For about $800 total, you have an absolute top tier rifle.

Larue is also doing stupid cheap deals right now.....you can buy their "ultimate ar" kit and end up with a larue ar for $750 out the door.

So short answer.....you're putting too much money into the Aero. If you have $700-850, there are better options. If you have $500 and can't save a couple hundred more, the Aero is a good option.

So what about that $450 Aero Precision I bought? Here’s how I’m finishing it:

Apex 12.5” (2300) handguard: $205
    Magpul MOE SL Buttstock: $45

That’s $700 without sights, but a terrific free-float handguard. I’ll put a Leupold LCO on it with no BUIS (because I’m too old to ever be a soldier), add a few mags and a sling, and go have some fun. Going to be my first AR—I’m looking forward to learning it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom