• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwagner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    I'm looking for my first high power rifle, and a place around where I live has a nice 7mm rem mag. What I was wondering tho, is there a better caliber that's not super expensive and not chambered in the same chambers ar-15s are, because those aren't very easy to get right now.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    7mm rem mag is an awesome cartridge. The one that immediately comes to mind that compares is the 300 WSM. 7mm shoots a little flatter and the 300 carries a ton of energy, but both are quite capable.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Where do we start?

Look at Savage Axis rifles
    Look at Howa 1500 (Vanguard)

As for calibers? OMG!
    Let's see,
    .204 Ruger
    .222 Rem
    .25-06
    30/30
    .300Win Mag
    and the list goes on, and on, and on...

Best question is, what do you want to do with it? What do you want it to do?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, the deciding factor is it's purpose. Is it target shooting? Long range shooting? Home defense? Alien invasion stopper?

Tell us what you want it for, and then we'll tell you where you should be looking. :)

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Yeah, the deciding factor is it's purpose. Is it target shooting? Long range shooting? Home defense? Alien invasion stopper?

Tell us what you want it for, and then we'll tell you where you should be looking. :)

7mm while an awesome cartridge, isnt practical when you put the above thoughts in. i stick with .308. effective round, cheapish compared to other hi-po cartridges. i dont know prices offhand for 7mm or 30-06 or 243 win or whatever hunting round someone would choose. i DO know however, if youre looking for an economical round to load in a rifle, be it defense or hunting, .308 is the way to go.

mwagner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    I have thought about .308 but the only down fall is that every gun shop within 100 miles is sold out or is sold out by mid afternoon the day they get some in.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mainly just for coyote and other varmint and some distance shooting

Well then, just for fun kind of thing?

You need a Mosin Nagant
    7.62x54R surplus ammo is EVERYWHERE, and is some of the least expensive on the market today.
    The Nagant is FAR from the most accurate, but it'll take a coyote, or other varmint at 300+ yards if you do your part.

The Mosin Nagant is a bolt action so it's cheap. Not as cheap today as it was this same time last year, but :dunno:

You will never be sorry you bought your first Mosin Nagant. Well, I better take that back. They tend to try to breed...

eshorter2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    just get a rem700 in 30-06 gun will be cheap and ammo is easy to find, u can even find old mil surplus ammo for cheap

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    If you're just plinking and popping 'yotes, then a .223 is ideal-if you think prices and demand will go back down-if not, .243 is real sweet, readily available, and will be up to the task if you ever decide to hunt deer (outside of Indiana of course). I like .222 Remington, but it's for sentimental reasons (GGG-Grandpa's Groundhog Getter) and I reload.

MG77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I have read quite a few articles and many have said a .308 is large enough to take any size game in North America, so if your not going to varmint hunt a ton and there is an outside shot you might head out west after a mule deer or elk a 308 could be a multi-task gun, that's way more gun than you need for a yote but could serve a couple purposes by changing the grain weight of the bullet/round.

If your shooting just yotes 223 is cheapest, 22-250 shoots the flatest little more expensive, .243 is also a great round, little heavier, little more expensive but darn good round. Depends on your property/shots but all 3 I think in Indiana would be a great choices. Don't be afraid to spend a little money on a scope, IMO that is where most guys fall short on their first rifle purchase.

DMBFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Boonville,IN
    I have a 300 Win Mag and love it. Very fun to shoot long distances. However, I am very interested in getting a 308. Can't go wrong with high power.

Top Bottom