What's a good "Snake Bite Kit" for Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've never been bit by a snake, but I have been and will be spending more time outdoors this year than ever before. I also keep hearing about how timber rattlers and other poisonious snakes are making their way farther north into Indiana.

Even if the possibility is very small, I'd still like to get a good snake bite kit and learn how to use it. From what I've seen this: Amazon.com: Sawyer Extractor Pump Kit: Sports & Outdoors
    seems to be one of the better ones.

Any suggestions?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Treating Snake Bites

Your best bet is to get to definitive care quickly, and with a very few exceptions from people having anaphylactic reactions, the only real treatment is prevention of infection, administration of antivenin, and other drugs not available OTC. The more you mess with the wound site the more you encourage the venom to circulate through the lymphatic system.

An epipen and benedryl will be far more useful.

The Wilderness Medical Society ten years ago recommended the Sawyer, but no longer.

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What Shibumiseeker linked to was basic, solid information and about all you need for Indiana.

His comments regarding an epipen and benedryl are good as well. Why not.

I tell my students the best snake bite kit is avoidance. Most people are bitten while consuming alcohol. "hey watch this!" Know where snake live, and what their patterns of behavior are at different times of year and you will be well served by your knowledge.

There are only 4 venomous snakes in Indiana. All are pit vipers, meaning they have pits on their head in addition to nostrils. They have spade shaped heads, bigger than their necks and they tend to be thick, stout snakes.

The four:

Timber Rattler
    Eastern Massasagua
    Copperhead
    Western cottonmouth

Thats it. Be careful and dont' cut, don't suck and don't bother with the extractor. Magic beans.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Unless you are in the southern third of Indiana, and unless you plan to be backpacking way out in the boonies, your best plan is to call 911 and/or get the bitten person to a hospital asap.

There are some big snakes in Indiana, though. A friend took a pic of a really large Timber Rattlesnake sitting coiled up next to a log right on a trail in Morgan Monroe State Forest. They ended up nudging him with a stick to get him off the trail and he went on his way. I've caught rattlesnakes alive out west and I've seen dozens. Even if you are in snake country, you'd have to be really unlucky, or totally oblivious to your surroundings to get bitten.

In reality, you are much more likely to be killed or injured by tripping and falling than from a snakebite.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Leather boots between ankle and mid-calf high
    Cautious steps
    Knowing what is and is not in your area and where it lives
    Lottery ticket - Know if you get bit you've beaten some pretty big odds

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Treating Snake Bites

Your best bet is to get to definitive care quickly, and with a very few exceptions from people having anaphylactic reactions, the only real treatment is prevention of infection, administration of antivenin, and other drugs not available OTC. The more you mess with the wound site the more you encourage the venom to circulate through the lymphatic system.

An epipen and benedryl will be far more useful.

The Wilderness Medical Society ten years ago recommended the Sawyer, but no longer.

+1

Cell phone and a strip map to closest ER...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    And do not elevate the bitten area. Like if your bitten on the hand, keep the hand below your heart. Same for the foot, keep it non elevated if your laying down.
    Also stay calm and control your breathing to reduce your heart rate. These things will help control and slow the spread of vennom. If you have a pen or marker, circle the bite site and write the time bitten. Then do it again every 20 minutes to half hour and write the time.
    And of coarse the most basic rule: always tell someone where you will be going before your trip and what time to expect you back. Stay safe. Have fun.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Unless you are in the southern third of Indiana, and unless you plan to be backpacking way out in the boonies, your best plan is to call 911 and/or get the bitten person to a hospital asap.

There are some big snakes in Indiana, though. A friend took a pic of a really large Timber Rattlesnake sitting coiled up next to a log right on a trail in Morgan Monroe State Forest. They ended up nudging him with a stick to get him off the trail and he went on his way. I've caught rattlesnakes alive out west and I've seen dozens. Even if you are in snake country, you'd have to be really unlucky, or totally oblivious to your surroundings to get bitten.

In reality, you are much more likely to be killed or injured by tripping and falling than from a snakebite.

The babies are the ones that I worry about more since they usually don't deliver a dry bite like most adult snakes. But your right about the odds of a bite.
    I think the cottonmouth would be the biggest threat of a bite to most people because of their location and aggressive "attack" nature if they feel threatened.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    What Shibumiseeker linked to was basic, solid information and about all you need for Indiana.

His comments regarding an epipen and benedryl are good as well. Why not.

I tell my students the best snake bite kit is avoidance. Most people are bitten while consuming alcohol. "hey watch this!" Know where snake live, and what their patterns of behavior are at different times of year and you will be well served by your knowledge.

There are only 4 venomous snakes in Indiana. All are pit vipers, meaning they have pits on their head in addition to nostrils. They have spade shaped heads, bigger than their necks and they tend to be thick, stout snakes.

The four:

Timber Rattler
    Eastern Massasagua
    Copperhead
    Western cottonmouth

Thats it. Be careful and dont' cut, don't suck and don't bother with the extractor. Magic beans.

The list is correct, just keep in mind that both rattlers are on the endangered species list and the cottonmouth is only found in one area in one county in SW Indiana. The statistics state that almost all poisonous snake bites in the US are to inebriated young men who decide that they are amateur herpetologists so don't be a young drunk male.:D

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I fail to see what the epipen would do since snakes do nit release any histamine? If im mistaken please enlighten me. I can understand if you had a reaction to the bite i could see using it however.

One other tid bid i might throw in here is to remain calm during this very stressful time and keep the blood the venom will use as a medium to spread through your body pumping slowly. Circulation at 120bpm is quite a bit different than 72bpm

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The list is correct, just keep in mind that both rattlers are on the endangered species list and the cottonmouth is only found in one area in one county in SW Indiana. The statistics state that almost all poisonous snake bites in the US are to inebriated young men who decide that they are amateur herpetologists so don't be a young drunk male.:D

Crykee...... One of the most deadliest snakes in the world. I will now attempt to stick my finger up its butt hole

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I fail to see what the epipen would do since snakes do nit release any histamine? If im mistaken please enlighten me. I can understand if you had a reaction to the bite i could see using it however.

The histamine response can be triggered by any substance that the body considers an allergen. Of the very few (like 10-12) people who die from snakebite in the US in any given year, a good number of them die of anaphylactic shock.

An epipen buys you a little time for the benedryl to kick in. Mind you, *I* don't carry one, and I don't worry overmuch about snakebite because being bitten is a low probability event and because dying from it is a VERY low probability event. Far more people will die of hypothermia.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Best Snake Kit? Walking stick! Wear boots, tuck in your pants, and watch your step. A lot of snakes are mistaken for others, given a wide berth, and a gentle nudge they will go away on their own. Agreed about the bravado of picking them up, swinging them around, teasing, then get bit. Forget that stuff, leave them alone.
    I have seen only a few woods snakes, they didn't rattle, very dark almost black. Head shape was not a viper, believe they were king snakes, or similar.
    Did a one on one with cottonmouth in Arkansas few years back, and prevailed with my Kimber 45 ACP. Now that one was over 4' long, and mean. Got his just due.
    I'm only a rookie in the woods(25yrs), but leave them be.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I don't understand the epi bit. Sure, anaphylactic shock like a bee sting but you wouldn't have that with a snake bite. Maybe with the antivenin but that would be administered in a hospital setting under the control of a physician. All of our snakes are hemotoxic and would cause clotting deficiencies.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Agreed about the bravado of picking them up, swinging them around, teasing, then get bit. Forget that stuff, leave them alone.

Unless your drinking Bourbon.

It is a known fact that Bourbon can make a man 10 Feet tall, Bulletproof, and sing with the voice of Angels....:rolleyes:

Ofcourse if that doesn't work you can always pour the Bourbon on the snakebite wound....:D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom