• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I’ve been scratching my head lately trying to figure the disconnect between crude oil at $ 91 -$ 93/BBL and gasoline at about $ 3.60/gallon and thinking refiners must be printing money since at that cost of crude oil, gasoline should be about $ 3.10/gallon.

I shouldn’t have been critical of refiners and looked toward much more likely protagonist. It should be noted (if you may have forgotten) but all gasoline in the U.S. contains a blend of up to 10% ethanol (alcohol from corn). That was an “’In your eye OPEC” gift bestowed on us by Congress to decrease our dependence on foreign oil. I never was sure how that was supposed to work since it takes more energy to produce ethanol than the ethanol produces when burned, but no point in wallowing in the details.

Congress in their infinite wisdom did not set the mandated ethanol usage to refiners at a fixed level, or so much per gallon but allocated an aggregate level of ethanol across the refining industry which increases over time. Why does the required total ethanol usage increase over time? To keep our pedal to the metal, ethanol wise, and keep in step with increasing gasoline demand. But gasoline demand is decreasing. Oops L.

Automobile manufacturers only allow for blend of up to 10% ethanol since the alcohol is corrosive and attacks moisture both of which over time degrade the engine and... wear it out faster. So with increasing requirements for total ethanol usage, a limit of a 10% blend, and decreasing demand for gasoline, what’s a refiner to do?

Introduce the RIN. EPA’s own Renewable Identification Number. If you can’t blend enough ethanol you can buy credits to allow you to do so. Yep, you got it, it’s kind of just like a REC (Renewable Energy Credit). To make it convenient for everyone one, they can be traded. Guess what? Introduce Enterprising Hedge Funds who saw the storm clouds gathering and scarfed up all the RINs. RINs that in January were trading for a few pennies traded for over a dollar earlier this month.

So there you have it. Gasoline is expensive in part because of the ethanol we are using and because of the ethanol we aren’t using. So why doesn’t Congress just roll back the aggregate ethanol requirements? Introduce the Farm Lobby.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Thank You Congress.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know it would remove some gravy money from grain growers, but I wish the government would drop the mandatory ethanol production so we could afford to feed the livestock. We are paying as much for chicken as plain cuts of steak used to cost only a few years ago. Most of that increase is because ethanol mandates artificially raise the price of the feed.

So we pay THREE times, once for the ethanol fuel we do use, once for the ethanol fuel we do not use, and every meal we eat is inflated, even if you don't own a car. I guess we actually pay FOUR times as the poor quality of ethanol fuels decay our car's fuel systems prematurely. Yee Ha! what a system! Obumma gonna save us all!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Between him letting the EPA run wild, his great Obamacare, his Chicago politics...his administration AND the country is FUBAR for quite some time to come.

B-lou

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Danville In
    taxes

One reason gas prices wont come down is the sales tax imposed on it.....at $4 a gallon state sales tax is .28...at $2 a gallon the tax is .14 .....I cannot remember if federal gas tax is by the gallon or the dollar....Bob

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    One reason gas prices wont come down is the sales tax imposed on it.....at $4 a gallon state sales tax is .28...at $2 a gallon the tax is .14 .....I cannot remember if federal gas tax is by the gallon or the dollar....Bob

With a system like that what incentive does a big goverment have to figure out how to reduce prices.With the current situation I would think they would want gas prices to rise so they can fill the coffers:(

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Obama's government does NOT want to make fossil fuel cheaper, quite the opposite they want to make it prohibitively expensive (European style prices) so everyone will ride public transportation and give up their cars. Well, except for the ruling class.

The U.S. Government makes more off of every gallon of gasoline than anyone else in the supply chain.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i hate to tell you grain growers arent seeing an extra penny off ethanol subsidies. with increased market prices so did growing costs increase.

Top Bottom