• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Buy the best one you can afford. Learn as much as you can about it. Then build one later. That way you will know what you like, dislike, and what you want to have.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Depends.

If you know what you want and can't get it that way from the factory? Do you want to say to everyone "hey I built this"? Then build one.

Do you want to save money? Depends who you talk to if it is cheaper, and what parts you buy and where you buy them.

Do you want you first mil-spec AR. Buy one complete, build one later (can never have too many). ;)

Lot of unknowns here...:D

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I would check out the INGO classifieds...you might find your first one waiting for you in there. :) Okay just a little shameless!!!

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I bought a factory bushamaster !
    I went that way because i dont do well building anything or working on stuff!
    When i do it Again i will ask for help from a couple guy's i meet on here for their help and build my next 1

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My advice has always been "buy your first, build the rest".

I bought my first as a factory gun and then started on the accessories and mods.

With my current project I'm building the lower (SBR) and then will most likely buy a (mostly) complete barreled upper.

After that I may get brave and build the entire thing from the ground up.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Buy a complete upper and a complete lower separately. It should save you a little money.

I agree with this. You can buy the lower half locally at FFL and the upper through the internut.

Do not build your first. Get used to how they operate and work and you will appreciate your future build more later.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    My first ar was a bushmaster and never had a problem with it, that was atleast 6 years ago. They are good guns as well are RRA, S&W, Stag Arms, and many many others. It just depends on what you want to do with it. For me I just wanted a good solid m4 which I could go to the range and have fun.

Now I want a Noveske because I want one that will be the most reliable in any climate for hunting or those fable Shtf scenarios.

alliclaytor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Northside
    I did what most people here are talking about. I would suggest buying a complete AR, or complete upper/lower. Play with that several months. Then for the next one get a complete upper and a stripped lower. I just put my first lower together with a 16oz hammer, needle nose pliers, duct tape...following a guy from youtube in about 30 minutes I was done. It was surprisingly easy.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    My advice has always been "buy your first, build the rest".

I bought my first as a factory gun and then started on the accessories and mods.

With my current project I'm building the lower (SBR) and then will most likely buy a (mostly) complete barreled upper.

After that I may get brave and build the entire thing from the ground up.

this is sound advice, but truthfully uppers are almost a simple as lowers to assemble.:ar15:
    Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I agree with this. You can buy the lower half locally at FFL and the upper through the internut.

Do not build your first. Get used to how they operate and work and you will appreciate your future build more later.

What would give you a better grasp on how they work than to build your first one? God forbid you might actually have an idea of how it works in case you have any problems. You might even be able to identify the parts when asking for help!

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Go buy one at your favorite gun store. Spend the next month taking it apart (after reading/watching a few how-to guides) and upgrading various parts (2 stage triggers, free float rails, new stocks, etc) until you are comfortable with it. Then you can build one. They are surprisingly easy to put together, and after step 1 you should already have all the various tools you need to build it right, along with a good understanding of what goes where and what the various tolerances should be.

The first step doesn't apply if you started with a <brand of choice> of course, as they come perfect from the factory :D

Top Bottom