• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Spatchcock turkey, mashed potatoes (from the garden), stuffing, cream green beans (from the garden), gravy, 2 kinds of cranberry sauce, and Hawaiian rolls. Followed by Dutch apple pie. Looking forward to the leftovers.

127890366_10224390065678023_260411864101665510_n.jpg

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    My sons first year hosting. I was in charge of cooking and bringing Turkey, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. We were sitting at the table and my son said this was the first time he hasn’t heard me swear in the last half hour before serving food. Of course my wife volunteered the swearing occurred before we left our house to drive to his. Allowing others to help certainly lowers the stress.

Good call on deferring so you and your family can enjoy. As Dirty Harry said, “A man’s got to know his limitations”. Sounded like you had a lot on the “table” so to speak. Nothing wrong with being realistic. Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy the weekend, there is plenty of time for food.

Couldn’t find the half teaspoon of vanilla for the whip cream. No one but me would have known it was missing. Finally found it after emptying an entire cabinet.

The worst is when you are holding what you are looking for in your left hand while you Frantically search for it with your right hand.

LOL, when I was cooking the ham the other day, I was cooking a lot of other stuff with it. I did what I usually do, move all the ingredients to the island, and work from there, moving from the island to the stove or oven as necessary, and sharing ingredients with my wife as we're cooking together. I've got the ham ready to go in the the oven, I just need to rub some brown sugar on it before it goes in. I'm going nuts trying to find the brown sugar. Opening cabinets where it should be, opening the pantry where it might be, opening the pantry where it shouldn't be. Frustrated, I go out to the garage and smoke a cowboy killer. Go back in, check all the same cabinets and pantries. Nothing. I'm close to throwing the damn ham out in the yard for whatever critters want it, because that ham needs the damned brown sugar, or it ain't fit for human consumption. I lean back against the sink, looking at the island with the bag of brown sugar staring back at me. Mocking me. That son of a *****, I must've grabbed it right out the cupboard, set it on the island, and forgot I did that. I really wanted to throw the ham in the yard and the brown sugar along with it at that point. F them both, but I thought that it would be better that they both die in the acid bath of our stomachs.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Spatchcock turkey, mashed potatoes (from the garden), stuffing, cream green beans (from the garden), gravy, 2 kinds of cranberry sauce, and Hawaiian rolls. Followed by Dutch apple pie. Looking forward to the leftovers.

Nice. I'd sit at that table. Just pass me by with the cranberry sauce, though. ;)

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County

Spencer !
    Tell us why you took the picture with a little bite of ?? Turkey on each plate. Is there a Significance

Last edited:

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I just had to make two (2) phone calls and admit defeat. I have raised the white flag and rescheduled for tomorrow. I told everyone I bit off more than I could chew. I have barely slept and my stress level is through the roof. I spent 30 minutes looking for stupid butchers twine that I have to have for the pork. I don't know what a nervous breakdown is but I think I was nearing the brink. Not there but I could feel my blood pressure rising.

I don't know if you folks get that way but sometimes there is one otherwise insignificant thing you want or need that you just cannot find, and you know you have it, and where it should be, but it isn't. And of course everything is closed today so you probably can't run out and just get it. At least that was it for me.

So we are on for tomorrow at 1330 when hopefully I will have everything prepared, lovely, and enjoyable. That is, after all, the goal.

As I have surrendered to no big meal today I will sleep - for real - and resume preparations well rested and reinvigorated.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving meal and that all of your family, friends, and four legged loved ones enjoy the festivities.

Regards,

Doug
    Doug please post some pics of this Wonderful Meal you have laid out

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I tried to make one last summer. I definitely did something wrong. It was not edible.:)

I did one once. ONCE. Juicing Key limes is a b***h! Never again.

It tasted good though.

I sure do wish i could make A Cranberry sauce/ Relish that was like Mom's , I can NOT even come close. It would be Killer in a Left over Turkey,Dressing Wrap

My mom makes a killer relish. Not that jello like crap in a can. This is made with boiled cranberries, orange peels, and LOTS of sugar. It is bitter and sweet at the same time, and has to be eaten in moderation. I dont think I can eat more than 1/4c at a time. But damn its good. I freeze it in snack bags for later in the year.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I did one once. ONCE. Juicing Key limes is a b***h! Never again.

It tasted good though.

My mom makes a killer relish. Not that jello like crap in a can. This is made with boiled cranberries, orange peels, and LOTS of sugar. It is bitter and sweet at the same time, and has to be eaten in moderation. I dont think I can eat more than 1/4c at a time. But damn its good. I freeze it in snack bags for later in the year.

Homemade cranberry relish/sauce is so easy, and you can get that orange taste by subbing orange juice for half of the water. Regular cranberry sauce is just a bag of cranberries, a cup of sugar and a cup of water. For the orange taste, use 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup orange juice. Boil for about 10 min until most of the berries have popped, then cool. I sometimes also stir in some walnuts after it has cooled.

This was dinner last night at Chez Snap. Turkey (hiding under the gravy), mashed potatoes, dressing, green bean casserole, and yams. There were cranberries in a separate small dish and there was also pumpkin pie. Nothing fancy, but all delish.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    My family decided to take up Bob Evans offer of a full and complete Thanksgiving dinner for 8-10 people for $125.00 so I called and placed our order with a live person at the location we wanted to pick it up at and a time was set but when I arrived at the appointed time I discovered a line of more than 90+ people standing outside in the rain waiting
    for their order and the line didn't move for the whole 20 minutes that I was there so I left. I called later and they didn't answer the phone so I waited until next morning and called again but they had an answering machine saying to go to BobEvans.com which I did but of course it was no help so my daughter scrounged up a very nice dinner and saved the day. I've not heard a word from Bob Evans.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hey folks, I survived!

I am really, really tired. I am also slightly, or maybe more so, inebriated. I just drank lots of wine. Couldn't let it go to waste. I am correcting a lot of typos but will be good to go in the morning.

Here are the few pics I did take.

20201127_172555.jpg 20201127_172602.jpg 20201127_172610.jpg 20201127_172618.jpg 20201127_172625.jpg

The first pic is the desserts. Peanutbutter cookies, spiced pumpkin cheesecake, candied pecans and walnut, and the spiced apple butter bread.

The second is of the appetizers. You can make out the salmon roe on the right and the black caviar on the left. There is also the salmon mousse, black bread, blinis on top, and to the far left dill sauce and creme fraiche.

The fourth & fifth pictures you can't make out much but it was the chicken with tarragon sauce, braised pork with apple cider and stuffed with prunes, butter carrots, cauliflower au gratin, and bean & bacon soup. The red cast iron was a four quart lodge with the macaroni & cheese.

I ran out of time for the bagna cauda and the bacon wrapped green beans. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

You're not seeing the salad that went over very well. Lot's of compliments there. It had baby spinach, mint, lemon grass, dates, and the candied walnuts. I also made a red wine vinaigrette to go with it. I chose different spices candy the walnuts as they needed to compliment a salad instead of just a sweet tooth like BBI's pecans. I think I did those with allspice, nutmeg, and a touch of ginger.

I have a serious love / hate relationship with Thanksgiving, but it is always fun to shoot for the moon. The funny thing is I always fail. Sincerely, I mean that. But each year I learn something new, acquire new skills, and improve on my ability.

I do LOVE the chicken w/ tarragon sauce! That was fantastic. That may well be my favorite of the night.

I also pressed folks on the worst thing they had. It is always good to get negative feedback in a kind way. One didn't like the cauliflower and another didn't like the dates in the salad, but that was just taste. One didn't like the apple butter spiced bread. He thought it was too dry. Probably valid as it was a day old.

I am going to crash now.

See ya'll next year!;)

Regards,

Doug

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Homemade cranberry relish/sauce is so easy, and you can get that orange taste by subbing orange juice for half of the water. Regular cranberry sauce is just a bag of cranberries, a cup of sugar and a cup of water. For the orange taste, use 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup orange juice. Boil for about 10 min until most of the berries have popped, then cool. I sometimes also stir in some walnuts after it has cooled.

This was dinner last night at Chez Snap. Turkey (hiding under the gravy), mashed potatoes, dressing, green bean casserole, and yams. There were cranberries in a separate small dish and there was also pumpkin pie. Nothing fancy, but all delish.

Nice looking plate of Food Snapdragon
    My mom Did not cook any of here Cranberry Relish Ingredients
    I think i Remember All the Ingredients just do NOT Knack to pull it all together ,
    It is fun Eating my mistakes .
    i am going to try your method Snapgragon

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Nice looking plate of Food Snapdragon
    My mom Did not cook any of here Cranberry Relish Ingredients
    I think i Remember All the Ingredients just do NOT Knack to pull it all together ,
    It is fun Eating my mistakes .
    i am going to try your method Snapgragon
    Cool. And if you forget, the basic recipe is always on the bag of berries.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Taking a break from the turkey leftovers today and doing some Italian Beef sandwiches...still plenty of pie left over; then on to more turkey!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Having ours Thanksgiving today. A departure from the norm with BBQ ribs and brown sugar ham, mashed potatoes, honey glazed carrots, corn, sautéed spinach. And also a couple cakes.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My family decided to take up Bob Evans offer of a full and complete Thanksgiving dinner for 8-10 people for $125.00 so I called and placed our order with a live person at the location we wanted to pick it up at and a time was set but when I arrived at the appointed time I discovered a line of more than 90+ people standing outside in the rain waiting
    for their order and the line didn't move for the whole 20 minutes that I was there so I left. I called later and they didn't answer the phone so I waited until next morning and called again but they had an answering machine saying to go to BobEvans.com which I did but of course it was no help so my daughter scrounged up a very nice dinner and saved the day. I've not heard a word from Bob Evans.

My plans changed last minute and I ended up with my ex-girlfriend's family (6 total). We were going to do the Bob Evans thing. The web site had a couple "feasts" available but none could be pre-ordered for Thanksgiving day. Stated that orders for the large meal packages could be made beginning at 8:00 a.m. Thanksgiving day. That time rolls around and the only thing on the website is individual meals for $17 each. Ended up scrambling to Meijrs for turkey tenderloins and fixings. Still turned out good, probably better than carryout.

Top Bottom