• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    I’m getting ready to spend a few weeks camping/ hunting and would like some fresh ideas for the menu. I will be by myself in a camper with a stove, oven and microwave. I’m looking for ideas that are quick and easy with little clean up. Hearing what you eat in the woods on all day hunts would be interesting also.

So far the wife has vacuum sealed a few meals to boil and picked up some instant oatmeal, cereal and snacks.

My favorite mid-day snacks are the standards like jerky and trail mix along with Bacon/honey/peanut butter sandwiches. Peanut butter and Fluff gets the nod at times too.

Please, help me with the shopping list for tonight.

Last edited:

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    What ever stinky thing you like. For me the first night would have to be gyros. Wife can't stand the smell of that delicious sandwich.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    supper's in the camper!
    I would do at least 2 meals of ramen noodles over baked potatoes !
    but spial is right hotdogs roasted over the fire is the way to go and dont forget the burger grates for burgers !

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Hamburger and diced up potatoes along with your favorite veggies wrapped up in tin foil and laid in the fire to cook Good stuff!!

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I butcher my wild game and make lots of jerky and beef sticks. They can be vacuum packed, dont take up a lot of space, fill the belly and they are full of protein to keep the energy up if you're doing anything active (i.e. hiking, hunting, biking, etc)

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    A few things-- I dont know why but these are always the best things when I go camping. Start a small camp fire- get a coleman griddle around 10 bucks at walmart. Get the fire where there are a bunch of hot coals, put the griddle on top. Start with the bacon and get some grease going in the griddle, move the bacon to the side to keep cooking and then put some steaks that have been sitting in a ziplock with salt/pepper/garlic salt on the griddle in the bacon grease. open up a can of bushs grillin beans and put them next to the coals. Cook steak how you like it done, put the bacon on top and the beans on the side. Best meal for camping.

Another hearty meal is getting a 1-2 bags of corn muffin mix, some cooked ground beef, taco seasoning and creamed corn. mixing it all together in an aluminum cooking pan and putting iton the coals or in the oven for a little while then eating.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Well. if you have a mirowave, you must have electricity. A crockpot would open many doors for you. Make a whole turlet breast have it for dinner, then make turkey salad for sanwiches for luches. Baked chicken, chicken BBQ, pork roast, chili, beef roasts, sloppy Joes, meatloaf, Soups and stew. Ham and beans. One easy one is to throw in several of those boneless/skinless chick breasts in until tender and drain. Let cool a bit, take out and "pull" or shred the meat. Ad you fav BBQ sauce and let it heat back up a bit. BBQ sanwiches. You may also want to consider a dutch oven and a webber grill and or smoker. I recently bought a elec rotesseree (SP) for my weber. I dry rub a whole chicken, but a small amount od coals off to the side on the webber, turn it on and go hunting for 2-3 hours. Come back and its done and delicious.
    You can premake sausage gravy and package/ freeze.
    Pasta is always good. Make penne, add Regu, sliced pepperoni and parm cheese.
    S.O.S.
    Grilled cheese
    Try this with Ramen. Cook noodles as usual (throw the flavor packet in the trash. Ad Litons dry tomato soup mix and parm cheese if yo have it. Very good.
    Fried spam sands
    Pigs in a blanket
    Breakfast burritos. Cook scrambled eggs, addd cheese, sausage ot ham, green pepper and onion. wrap woth a tortia. I wrap these in foil and freeze.
    Box potatoes, rice and pastas.
    Mac n cheese.
    Thats all for now. Good luck!

Top Bottom