What's Life Like After an Economic Collapse ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    FerFal says " it's the same but worse " .

According to him , it isn't " Mad Max " and bugging out .

However , " by 2014 home invasions in every neighborhood occurs daily , riots , roadblocks and protests are now a part of everyday life " .

I know he's talking specifically about what has happened in Argentina but I think if the same were to happen here , it'd be worse .

If you've never read his posts or thought about prepping you should read this thread .

Life after an Economic Collapse: The same… only Worse Part I - Survivalist Forum

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always thought we'd have a large gang problem with a collapse. As legitimate law enforcement started to deteriorate, I think you'd see a rise in gangs to a level we've never seen before. There would be plenty of non-gun folks who might join a gang if that were an option that promised some sort of safety. If you get enough folks to pledge allegiance to a gang in the hope of being protected from that same gang, you would probably see gangs taking a more aggressive role due to what they might see as expendable members. My opinion is that it's human nature to form an alliance and while in today's world, a gang is seen as a losing choice, in a world where there are no grocery stores, few remaining jobs and little law enforcement, a gang could be seen in a much less negative light.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Most people in American society, even most on this forum, don't truly believe this is a real possibility.

We seem to further gravitate in this direction: Safe, Water, Food, Dry, Warm.

If you prepare properly, you don't have to join a gang to secure your safety.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    When you think about the number of people in a large urban area, like Indy, who are dependent on their EBT card getting refilled every month, the idea of it not getting refilled is frightening. What we've seen people doing in places like Ferguson on full bellies will look like a day at the park compared to what will happen after the food runs out at the local looted Kroger.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Look at the images from Hurricane Katrina and Super storm Sandy. Now multiply those images by a factor of 10 or more and that is what you will see. IMHO

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I agree that gangs would be an issue. I think you'd see neighborhood militias form too. Lots of defensible roads would become "gates" for communities to stop incursions. Watches would be set up. Spare firearms would be traded or loaned to those with none to maintain security. I agree that proper preparation is necessary, but I think it's foolhardy to think you can go it alone. You'd need help to weather the conditions until things got better.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Most people in American society, even most on this forum, don't truly believe this is a real possibility..

It's because they've been brainwashed / lulled into a normalcy bias .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcyBzRnfOYw

Think it doesn't happen ?

It's been going on practically since the advent of the TV . Edward Bernays - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This guy perfected " Controlling and regimenting the masses according to our will , without their consent " .

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    This is what I've asked a few prepper friends. What if it's not Mad Max? What if it's like the Bronx, circa 1977, but everywhere?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I agree that gangs would be an issue. I think you'd see neighborhood militias form too. Lots of defensible roads would become "gates" for communities to stop incursions. Watches would be set up. Spare firearms would be traded or loaned to those with none to maintain security. I agree that proper preparation is necessary, but I think it's foolhardy to think you can go it alone. You'd need help to weather the conditions until things got better.
    I have to disagree that "gangs" will be a problem. Atleast not gangs as we currently define them. A gang like the Gangster Deciples etc rely on drugs/drug money and stealing to "make a living". Most wont have any money when the SHTF so the gangs wont last too long. Money will stop coming in just like the drugs will stop coming in too. They will break up and many will hit the road to take care of themselves and/or maybe their family too. It will be too easy to steal since law enforcement will be virtually non existant.... Greed drives alot of bad people and those bad people will find it too easy to steal for themselves and not for "their" gang.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Start collecting commodities. I tell people to invest in commodities all the time. Specifically the brass and lead ones. A bar of Gold is only worth what a honest person will trade u for it. Wont be to many honest people when there children are starving. A bullet will be worth your life.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Start collecting commodities. I tell people to invest in commodities all the time. Specifically the brass and lead ones. A bar of Gold is only worth what a honest person will trade u for it. Wont be to many honest people when there children are starving. A bullet will be worth your life.

But won't that bar of gold or silver be of great value "once" things get better; provided they do get better and you're alive still? I've been stockpiling fifths of whiskey, making sure to rotate my stock, you know to keep it fresh.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I like Ferfal's work as a practical example of how things developed in Argentina.

However, there are a lot of social, political, and other factors (ex. moral character of the population) involved in how it would exactly play out in any given place.

For example, the aftermath of a flood, economic collapse, etc. may be significantly different in New Orleans vs. Nashville.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We are already in a collapse.
    I think most people imagine a collapse as something that happens suddenly.

I agree with this. If the rate of change is slow enough, it does not feel like change at all. It's only when you have a good point of comparison that we realize how far down the slope we've slid. I've read that the great depression was really not recognized as such until it was over. To the folks in it, it was just tough times. I wonder what future historians will call this phase of U.S. history.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This weekend I'm running a pillaging and burning review class. Newcomers welcome. Shieldmaidens may take classes for free. Must provide own axe.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    I agree with this. If the rate of change is slow enough, it does not feel like change at all. It's only when you have a good point of comparison that we realize how far down the slope we've slid. I've read that the great depression was really not recognized as such until it was over. To the folks in it, it was just tough times. I wonder what future historians will call this phase of U.S. history.

The prequell to "The Great Tribulation". It has already been documented...

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most people in American society, even most on this forum, don't truly believe this is a real possibility.

We seem to further gravitate in this direction: Safe, Water, Food, Dry, Warm.

If you prepare properly, you don't have to join a gang to secure your safety.

True "But"..............yes, always a "but"................there is safety in numbers. Unless you are totally isolated from a failing society you will become a target unless you can stay very grey and even then it will be hard.
    Any one that thinks they will be safe inside or near large population areas is mistaken.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But won't that bar of gold or silver be of great value "once" things get better; provided they do get better and you're alive still? I've been stockpiling fifths of whiskey, making sure to rotate my stock, you know to keep it fresh.

Your stock of whiskey will be worth far more than precious metals. PM's are only have worth in an economy that places worth on them.

Top Bottom