What's Life Like After an Economic Collapse ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    We have had an economic collapse in our past. It was the great depression. How well you did depended on where you lived. People that lived on farms didn't know that there was a problem. Life went on for them as it had. That is according to my grandmother.

People that lived in the bigger cities had to move in together to make it. You had two and three families living in one apartment.

The government set up soup and bread lines to try and feed people. Money was very hard to come by. They did have things for sale but you couldn't get the money to buy it. My grandfather said when a job would come up there would be at least 25 to 50 men applying for it.

Many people of that time pulled together families to make it. The bigger the family the more money they had coming in. Out of twelve adults maybe only 4 would be working at a time. They did what ever they could to make things work.

In today's world in the U.S. many families barely talk to each other. They only see each other on the holidays. How will we make it in hard times.

We can prep all we want, but in less we have help from people that we can trust we will not make it. You can't hunt, plant, and watch your back at the same time. You will need land and people of a like desires.

In the last depression people coming in from out side the community were not welcomed. If they had family in the community the were welcomed or at least tolerated.

At that time in our history you had to be someones son or uncle to get into the trades. Family was king. You took care of your own. If you had any thing to share it was shared with your friends.

What will happen if it falls apart now? I would say after banks start to fail you will see riots in the streets. The government will step in to contain things. They will try and feed people. They will try to put people to work. How will it all work out. I would say that for the first two years thing will be very bad then things will start to work out. We may never get back to what we have now or it may be better. Only time will tell. There is no way the government can keep laying out the money they do with out bring in as much as the spend. It will have to fail at some point.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    In today's world in the U.S. many families barely talk to each other. They only see each other on the holidays. How will we make it in hard times.

We can prep all we want, but in less we have help from people that we can trust we will not make it. You can't hunt, plant, and watch your back at the same time. You will need land and people of a like desires.

That's why we have to join a gang now! My gang is pretty good. We enjoy pillaging and burning as much as any other gang. We're pretty inclusive, and we like to hunt, plant, and watch our backs. During our down time many of us enjoy cleaning guns, knitting, and bingo.

So what do you say? Join my gang?

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I think gangs as we know them now will be a huge problem in large cities for a bit. I would not want to be anywhere near a large city until the gangs have killed each other off.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    That's why we have to join a gang now! My gang is pretty good. We enjoy pillaging and burning as much as any other gang. We're pretty inclusive, and we like to hunt, plant, and watch our backs. During our down time many of us enjoy cleaning guns, knitting, and bingo.

So what do you say? Join my gang?
    I don't like Bingo.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We have had an economic collapse in our past. It was the great depression. How well you did depended on where you lived. People that lived on farms didn't know that there was a problem. Life went on for them as it had. That is according to my grandmother.

People that lived in the bigger cities had to move in together to make it. You had two and three families living in one apartment.

The government set up soup and bread lines to try and feed people. Money was very hard to come by. They did have things for sale but you couldn't get the money to buy it. My grandfather said when a job would come up there would be at least 25 to 50 men applying for it.

Many people of that time pulled together families to make it. The bigger the family the more money they had coming in. Out of twelve adults maybe only 4 would be working at a time. They did what ever they could to make things work.

In the last depression people coming in from out side the community were not welcomed. If they had family in the community the were welcomed or at least tolerated.

At that time in our history you had to be someones son or uncle to get into the trades. Family was king. You took care of your own. If you had any thing to share it was shared with your friends.

What will happen if it falls apart now? I would say after banks start to fail you will see riots in the streets. The government will step in to contain things. They will try and feed people. They will try to put people to work. How will it all work out. I would say that for the first two years thing will be very bad then things will start to work out. We may never get back to what we have now or it may be better. Only time will tell. There is no way the government can keep laying out the money they do with out bring in as much as the spend. It will have to fail at some point.
    What you say about families in the past living together is eerily true about the present. I moved back in with my parents 3 years ago after my 2 year stint in chicago drained me of all the money I had, I went because my sister wanted me to be there but she makes $40/hr. minimum there opposed to me living off GI bill in some apt thats $650-$700/mo. for my share in rent alone.......................... ya.

Meanwhile I get back and cant find a job, I say it's because I'm a vet and ppl look at me funny like I'll loose my mind on PTSD. No one believes me, 6 months later the news comes out about discrimination against 'sandbox vets' while I'm working part time seasonal for minimum wage.

My sister recently moved in with us after a short stay in New York chasing a pipedream. So now the whole family is here, my mom makes the most and keeps the household afloat and has more faith in the rebound of the economy than Jesus himself..., and my sister makes the 2nd most at $35/hr. Being recently laid off I'm looking for work (think my dad has given up) but nothing more than $10/hr if I'm lucky to even find that, and to include from what I hear from the managers I speak to, "theres many applicants" per position (they actually stress the word "many" or state "a number of" emphatically). I say it's because they're all jobs and not opportunity, opportunity to make a career, work/learn a skilled trade, opportunity for promotion, do something constructive for the community and be paid for services rendered, etc... I have the capability and ability to learn anything so it's not because I'm too stupid to know any better; but seeing articles like this one at least make me feel not so alone and crappy.

The short: the whole family is here, women make more/more employed than the men, money-makers actually believe things are getting better (denial maybe?), no opportunity for careers/growth, not sure what else i missed. I always read "it's getting worse" or "it will get worse". While that may be accurate in it's own, maybe these statements keep the mindset the worse is in the future. I think more people need to realize that hard times are here in the present, rather looming in the future.

Also, trying to stay signed in while typing this is a royal b!&$h!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Khazik I know of families around here that have there sons moving back home with a wife and child. I helped a friend finish his basement so they would have a place for his son and his wife to live. The son is having problems with his collage debt. After four years of collage he can't get a job that pays enough to live off of and pay back the loans.

The government is saying that we don't have inflation and that unemployment is only 6.5%. From the people that I know that are looking for jobs and getting them are not getting jobs that paid as much as the ones they had before the bank stuff happened.

I guess that the government hasn't been to a supper market of late because every thing that we have to buy is going up. Beef is up at least $2 a pound. Chicken is up $1 a pound for breast and wings. They are selling half loves of rye bread for what a hole loaf was last year. That is just a couple of things off the top of my head that stand out. A lot of stuff that was sold by 16 oz containers now is being sold in 12 oz containers for the same price.

The work place is changing and not for the better. At one time we made everything in the United States. Now we are turning into a service nation. We don't make anything any more. We import most things. What I want to know is if the average person can't work and build something how is he going to pay for services if he don't have a job. In world war two the world looked at us to build stuff for them to fight with. If world war three brakes out where are the boots and coats going to come from. We don't make them any more. That seems very short sighted to me of our governments to let it happen. There are things that we need to make for when things go bad. We can't import everything and not sell anything to other countries. That is how you make the other guy rich. My personal feeling is if it is used in this country it should be made here. That would keep our people working.

I don't know what is going to happen, but it isn't looking good.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    We have had an economic collapse in our past.

Sounds like what is happening today!

22000 applications for the 213 new jobs at our new Costco.
    Experts say new Costco store great for local economy | Local - WSBT.com

The soup and breadlines are now called EBT and SNAP and at last count over 46 million were on food stamps alone.

Banks are failing.... here's a running total since 2008:
    List of bank failures in the United States (2008?present) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our GDP to Debt ratio hit 100% in 2011 and has only gotten worse since. IIRC, our GDP includes our crude oil and natural gas output and, if that's the case, the fracking frenzy isn't even helping our GDP.

IMO, our economy will be whittled down by one financial crisis after another, spaced far enough apart for sheeple to forget and move on with their lives. The current "tough times" will consume a few more families with each event until the world adjusts to something other than the US Dollar and cheap energy leading the way.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Everyone knows that 6.5% unemployment is the number that keeps getting used. Everyone knows what really represents. It's a slap in the nuts every time a news hag uses it to pump up this administration.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    No the economy can't be bad- I saw another thread where a guy is getting a promotion at work because he works hard and has a high aptitude for his line of work. The way I look at it I'm LUCKY that I've had the opportunities I've had. Working hard and taking advantage of opportunities that present themselves to you is still VERY important today but working hard and being smart doesn't guarantee you a good job these days. Hard work and intelligence is not all it comes down to these days. You need to work hard, be smart, be able to apply your knowledge, know someone to get your foot in the door, have people skills and you're still lucky if they choose you. There are way more workers than jobs and it's guaranteed companies will take advantage of that.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Gonna stick around with the other 'diehards' and just rebuild, get things back up and running, and get back to normal a.s.a.p. Maybe move into one of those big, new 10,000 sq. ft. homes that some goofball abandoned so he could head for the hills and live in a friggin' tent, LOL! :yesway:

BFP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2014
    Seymour
    I think things will be pretty much like they are now, only people will have less money. I'm sorry I just don't see a Mad Max scenario, much as some would like.

Top Bottom