what's necessary & how many is too many?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    INGO - I've been looking at Vuurwapenblog's youtOOb channel and he addressed something that I've been discussing with friends: how many guns is too many and what is a realistic (or recommended) minimum number that covers a broad spectrum of general uses. This is for making recommendations to a friend that has NO or FEW guns already.

For me (very similar to video below, some small differences): I would recommend that anyone who is going to have "guns" in the most generic sense, should have the following
    1) a handgun in centerfire caliber - revolver or pistol
    2) a rifle in .22LR. I'd certainly suggest threaded barrel, but that's a separate discussion
    3) a hunting OR personal defense rifle (video puts these in separate categories -- for someone starting out, ANY rifle is better than no rifle) (BEFORE you jump down my throat, keep reading)
    4) a shotgun - any action, 12 or 20 ga. I'd recommend something with flexibility. I'm glad the video mentions this as well, I wish I had known what an extra barrel cost for my Benelli when I bought it.

For me that's a minimal, acceptable list. IF there's room, I'd add:
    5) opposite of #3 above - if you have a hunting rifle, get a PDW/AR/AK variant, or vice-versa
    6) a .22 handgun OR secondary handgun
    What do yall think?? Now to make it more complicated, if you only had room for 3 in a budget --- which 3 to get??

[video=youtube;Ce8Q7BKda20]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce8Q7BKda20[/video]

My 3 would be:
    1) Rifle (AR)
    2) centerfire Handgun
    3) shotgun
    although it's hard to cut the .22 from the list, if I only had 3, it'd probably be those

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I can't answer all the questions, but I can address the 'how many is too many':

Whenever a person has all the guns they want, one more is too many.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    My friends and I too discussed this recently.
    The (generic) list that I came up with would be:

1. Carry Handgun
    2. HD Handgun
    3. Rifle (Hunting, HD, SHTF)
    4. Shotgun (Hunting, HD, SHTF)

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    "a rifle in .22LR. I'd certainly suggest threaded barrel, but that's a separate discussion"

Why? I don't need a rifle in 22LR.

There is no such universal thing as "too many" or "too few".

Although I'd say that based on my observations, a substantial portion of Americans have wayyy too much "stuff" in general, guns aside.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Too many? How much is too many books? music? shoes? If someone has 100+ guns, then they have both the means and the interest. Who's business is it how many they have? Do you really think anyone should have a say in what someone else owns?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Cool, we get to play Mel Tappan?:D

I think it depends on your station in life, your own circumstances dictate what is "too many". E.g., if you are established (financially) then you can roll heavier than the guy that just got married and his wife wants new furniture and a baby. Simple market realities.

Now to make it more complicated, if you only had room for 3 in a budget --- which 3 to get??

1. A carry gun.
    2. Another carry gun just like it but with a .22 conversion kit available.
    3. Centerfire rifle of some sort--AR-15, G3, M14, bolt-action rifle, inter alia, whatever.

My answer would change if I was a country dweller.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Too many? How much is too many books? music? shoes? If someone has 100+ guns, then they have both the means and the interest. Who's business is it how many they have? Do you really think anyone should have a say in what someone else owns?

thanks, Kirk, for bringing it back on track. I appreciate what pudly, sbo, and bunnykid are saying, but let's all just breath here...

Maybe I should have rephrased the original question. (Yes, people have a lot of stuff...)
    If you suggested someone's FIRST 3 firearms, what would they be?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Too many is when you can't pay your other bills.

I vote Ruger 10/22 as definitely deserving of being in many first three gun lists.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    INGO - I've been looking at Vuurwapenblog's youtOOb channel and he addressed something that I've been discussing with friends: how many guns is too many and what is a realistic (or recommended) minimum number that covers a broad spectrum of general uses. This is for making recommendations to a friend that has NO or FEW guns already.

For me (very similar to video below, some small differences): I would recommend that anyone who is going to have "guns" in the most generic sense, should have the following
    1) a handgun in centerfire caliber - revolver or pistol
    2) a rifle in .22LR. I'd certainly suggest threaded barrel, but that's a separate discussion
    3) a hunting OR personal defense rifle (video puts these in separate categories -- for someone starting out, ANY rifle is better than no rifle) (BEFORE you jump down my throat, keep reading)
    4) a shotgun - any action, 12 or 20 ga. I'd recommend something with flexibility. I'm glad the video mentions this as well, I wish I had known what an extra barrel cost for my Benelli when I bought it.

Perfect. :yesway:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    1) .22 bolt action Sako P94S with bbl threaded.

2) .308 Win AR with Lilja bbl, other caliber uppers on purchase list.

3) 12 ga Remington 870 with extended tube.

The most ability to put down bigger threats, plus, with a suppressor you have the ability to procure food in stealth mode.

Next item would be handgun. My list for my locale.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    "a rifle in .22LR. I'd certainly suggest threaded barrel, but that's a separate discussion"

Why? I don't need a rifle in 22LR.

There is no such universal thing as "too many" or "too few".

Although I'd say that based on my observations, a substantial portion of Americans have wayyy too much "stuff" in general, guns aside.
    Why not a .22 rifle? When SHTF it would be useful for hunting small game.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Well there is an obvious answer here.

1 is too many right? After all non of us actually OWN any guns any more......You know, after the tragic boating accident?

Seriously though I guess the answer is when you can't remember how many you have, even after spending a half hour adding them up in your head........

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I was at the member's banquet for one of the NRA Conventions when I was on the board where Senator Phil Gramm was the featured speaker.

He delivered perhaps the greatest line I ever heard on this subject:

"I have more guns than I can shoot, but I don't have as many as I want."

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Cool, we get to play Mel Tappan?:D

I think it depends on your station in life, your own circumstances dictate what is "too many". E.g., if you are established (financially) then you can roll heavier than the guy that just got married and his wife wants new furniture and a baby. Simple market realities.

1. A carry gun.
    2. Another carry gun just like it but with a .22 conversion kit available.
    3. Centerfire rifle of some sort--AR-15, G3, M14, bolt-action rifle, inter alia, whatever.

My answer would change if I was a country dweller.

Mel Tappan. Now that is a blast from the past. He was one of the original "survivalist" writers. Guns and Ammo I think? He was a big proponent of .22 rifles and ammo for same.

Mel Tappan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Bottom