what's necessary & how many is too many?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    As has been posted a lot depends on your financial status and of course your "reasons" for acquiring firearms. For several years (many years ago) I had a 12 Gauge Mossy pump. After I raised my children, I started buying firearms. My youngest son was working and unmarried at the time and was also interested in collecting firearms so we purchased many!

As far as the "essentials" - in my humble opinion, first is a shotgun - it is the most versatile firearm you can own. It makes an excellent hunting gun for all the game in Indiana, and also one of the best home defense firearms. Second in my opinion is a reliable handgun for EDC personal protection. Dependent on your situation, the third may be another EDC for your mate. The next would be a 22 rifle. Reasoning - fairly economical to shoot (even at today's pricing for ammo), good for targeting and great hunting gun for Indiana small game.

The remainder (though not essential unless you are preparing for a SHTF situation) would be a high power rifle - We (son and I) have AK's, SKS's, Mosin's, Gerands, M1 carbine, K-31, Mausers, Enfields, AR-15, LR-308, other .308, 30-06's, SVD-40, 1903-A3, and several other Military rifles. All are functional and we have a good supply of ammo for all. We also have several revolvers, Colts, Smith, Rugers etc. and other semi auto handguns (with ammo for all).

There would be only three reasons to have an upper limit of the number of firearms you should own. The first would be that you (or your mate) doesn't want any more. The second is that the purchase of firearms is harmful to your financial situation - depriving you or your family of more essential items. The third is that the expense of the firearms inhibit the purchase of ammunition - guns are just decoration unless you can feed them!

In view of the above, I don't think anyone has the right (or knowledge) to state what anyone else should have or how many - Some people purchase firearms strictly for hunting, some for targeting only, others only for home / personal defense. Some for investment - others for some or all the preceding reasons. Personally I do it for all of these reasons (except I no longer hunt - but would if SHTF) and I just really like guns!!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    As has been posted a lot depends on your financial status and of course your "reasons" for acquiring firearms. For several years (many years ago) I had a 12 Gauge Mossy pump. After I raised my children, I started buying firearms. My youngest son was working and unmarried at the time and was also interested in collecting firearms so we purchased many!

As far as the "essentials" - in my humble opinion, first is a shotgun - it is the most versatile firearm you can own. It makes an excellent hunting gun for all the game in Indiana, and also one of the best home defense firearms. Second in my opinion is a reliable handgun for EDC personal protection. Dependent on your situation, the third may be another EDC for your mate. The next would be a 22 rifle. Reasoning - fairly economical to shoot (even at today's pricing for ammo), good for targeting and great hunting gun for Indiana small game.

The remainder (though not essential unless you are preparing for a SHTF situation) would be a high power rifle - We (son and I) have AK's, SKS's, Mosin's, Gerands, M1 carbine, K-31, Mausers, Enfields, AR-15, LR-308, other .308, 30-06's, SVD-40, 1903-A3, and several other Military rifles. All are functional and we have a good supply of ammo for all. We also have several revolvers, Colts, Smith, Rugers etc. and other semi auto handguns (with ammo for all).

There would be only three reasons to have an upper limit of the number of firearms you should own. The first would be that you (or your mate) doesn't want any more. The second is that the purchase of firearms is harmful to your financial situation - depriving you or your family of more essential items. The third is that the expense of the firearms inhibit the purchase of ammunition - guns are just decoration unless you can feed them!

In view of the above, I don't think anyone has the right (or knowledge) to state what anyone else should have or how many - Some people purchase firearms strictly for hunting, some for targeting only, others only for home / personal defense. Some for investment - others for some or all the preceding reasons. Personally I do it for all of these reasons (except I no longer hunt - but would if SHTF) and I just really like guns!!

Well said. I'm not trying to put an upper limit on it, just asking how most would prioritize the first 3 recommended firearms. Thanks for your input.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Why not a .22 rifle? When SHTF it would be useful for hunting small game.

I'm still formulating my SHTF plan, and going by priority the 22 rifle is pretty far down the line. I think most preppers spend 90% of their time planning for 10% of the possibilities, and living on squirrel meat is one of the more unlikely possibilities for me.

My point is everyone's list and everyone's idea of "too many" is going to be different. There's a financial component too, for most people their "too many" number is going to be directly correlated with income.

I hate accumulating stuff, I'm not a collector, so I get what I absolutely need and will actually use and no more. With the exception of SHTF stuff, if I'm not using it at least once a week, it's gone.

So for me, too many is not that many. Probably substantially less than most here.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Well said. I'm not trying to put an upper limit on it, just asking how most would prioritize the first 3 recommended firearms. Thanks for your input.

FWIW, for me:

9mm EDC
    12GA
    AR

Really depends on your uses. I don't shoot much for fun, if I want to shoot for fun I'll shoot my air guns because I can shoot about ten thousand rounds for the price of one range trip with my 9mm.

Otherwise my first 3 would all be .22s.

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would like to add that an equally important, and complimentary, question would be "what caliber." Because guns without ammunition are clubs and throwing stones. You would want guns that shoots popular rounds, if you don't have stockpiles of odd ammo lying around. You have a higher probability of staying alive that way.
    pistol: 9mm or 45auto
    rifle: 556/762
    shotgun: 12 gauge
    and anything in .22lr

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Considering that I am a huge gun nut, it would actually surprise people how few guns I actually own. Keep in mind my wife has a couple of pistols and we have a youth sized 22 for the kids. I also keep a 10/22 and Browning Buckmark for new shooters. What I am talking about are my personal guns that I use.

Shotgun - Ruger Red Label
    Rimfire - Ruger 77/22 varmint w/ Bausch & Lomb Elite 1.5 - 4.5 x 32 scope
    Carbine - M&P 15 Piston, two stage trigger, AimPoint Pro

Thats it 3 long guns.

Pistol - I admit that I do have a few pistols. They are what I like. Because of that my wife has purchased a couple for me over the years. These have a great deal of sentimental value for me and are strictly range toys. My actual working guns are as follows: full size 1911, compact 1911, J frame, Glock 23 and a Ruger Single 10.

The two 1911s have become my carry guns.

Interestingly enough I have bought and sold several pistols over the years. In the end I always end up with a Glock 19/23, a really accurate 22 pistol and a J frame sized revolver. This combination is very practical and covers a lot of bases.

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    If I absolutely, positively had to pick only 3...

1. Ruger 10/22
    2. Smith & Wesson 686 w/ 4 inch barrel
    3. Remington 870

Classic choices, but you can scratch a lot of itches with those 3.

I thought this was a great list but I'm going to tweak it just a bit. Instead of the Ruger 10/22, or any .22lr, I'm going to swap in a rifle chambered for .357 magnum. Why? Ammo consolidation with the revolver, center fire and reloadable, a round you can legally hunt big game with in Indiana, and lack of availability of .22lr.

i prefer the Model 66 over the 686, but for the purposes of this list the 686 is the better choice and 4" barrel is just right. And while you can pretty much forget conceal carrying it, you can carry it.

The Remington 870 is the logical choice too, but as far as I'm concerned a number of different 12 gauge shotguns will do.

Now, if we expand the list to four or five, or if we are strictly talking about urban environments, I might change some of my choices here, but for just three? These.

Last edited:

mohrpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Not sure what the maximum number are haven't got there yet. But I would have to agree with the list for a starter.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would not offer any set number or a set 'starter list' for the new owner/buyer. My approach would be to apply the standard I use for acquiring new/more guns: What present or projected future need do I have that is not adequately covered with my present firearms? I am not saying that I have to justify a purchase to the presumed satisfaction of the most evil of outside auditors, just that this is a good starting point. A critical point to understand is that I have no problem with buying a gun, even an absolutely impractical gun, because I want it, provided that it is not competing with a need for resources. I just don't call it a 'need'.

Back on topic, assigning needs. Presumably we all count personal protection as a need, which is best addressed under all circumstances with a good centerfire handgun of adequate power to reliably stop bogey persons. If you do not wish to carry away from home, then a good shotgun could fill this role with the significant caveat of multiple projectiles. They are great for stopping, but do you really want to have to shoot a BG uncomfortably close to your child with a pattern rather than one single carefully aimed projectile?

Second question, do you hunt? If you do not hunt, then a hunting gun is not a relevant concern. You are not going to magically become a hunter because the bell rang and SHTF officially starts. If you do, then pick the gun that best suits the widest range of game you hunt.

Third, do you expect to encounter criminal gangs or organized groups of marauders? An AR with magazines as tall as your 3 year old would be an excellent idea if you live near Churchmouse. If you live out in the land of open sky and even more open ground, you may have more pressing firearm needs.

Fourth, do you anticipate problems with non-human predators? The marauders aren't such a big priority if you have already been converted into a pile of bear s**t by the time they work their way far enough into the boondocks to find you.

In the end, a practical gun has one or both of only two purposes: hunting and defense. If you don't have game or vermin to hunt or a threat from which to defend you and yours, it is NOT a need. If you have several game interests and/or present or projected threats to your well-being, then you just have to start with the most important and work your way down the list until you either cover all the needs or else run out of money.

For guns you want (i.e., because it's a cool gun and you just like it), if you can afford it, go for it. No such thing as too many.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    If it is three I guess it would be the .22 Rifle, 12 gauge shotgun, and a center fire carry gun.

The .22 is very underestimated I feel. You can use it for squirrels to deer if you had to, and they can be suppressed easy if needed. Cheap to shoot, and accurate at a decent distance. 12 gauge the same way; squirrels to deer easy enough, and fairly cheap to shoot. Center fire hand gun for conceal-ability. If hell has broke loose then the .22 would trade for the AR15, but for all around use the first three.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Too many(?) I'm always one short of never enough. :):

9MM Carry with .22 conversion
    223/5.56 AR Rifle with .22 conversion
    12 or 20ga Shotgun

For SHTF, I'd select a couple rifles (and/or uppers) and a few handguns (and/or conversion kits) in different calibers. Never know what type of ammo you may come across.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm still formulating my SHTF plan, and going by priority the 22 rifle is pretty far down the line. I think most preppers spend 90% of their time planning for 10% of the possibilities, and living on squirrel meat is one of the more unlikely possibilities for me.

My point is everyone's list and everyone's idea of "too many" is going to be different. There's a financial component too, for most people their "too many" number is going to be directly correlated with income.

I hate accumulating stuff, I'm not a collector, so I get what I absolutely need and will actually use and no more. With the exception of SHTF stuff, if I'm not using it at least once a week, it's gone.

So for me, too many is not that many. Probably substantially less than most here.

I'm a huge fan of the .22, and it would be my first:

min. recoil
    anyone can shoot it
    can carry tons of ammo
    not very loud
    can kill.... people, as well as animals

Sure, I wouldn't count on it as "battle rifle," but it hands down the best survival rifle you can have. Look at the history of actual SHTF scenarios. People literally starved to dead on the side of various roads, around the world. One specific instance, was all the germans that were literally starved to death in their bombed out cities or as they fled from the Soviet onslaught. Those poor brat-eaters ended up surviving on carrion. A .22 rifle with sufficient quantities of ammo, could have saved more than a few lives.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I "want" every gun I have (and then some!), but I guess if I were told that I could only have 3 or 4, my choices would be:
    .22 bolt gun
    12 gauge
    Centerfire handgun (probably 1911 or revolver)
    Centerfire rifle - this is where the choice really gets tricky for me. I suppose from a purely SHTF standpoint, it would be my AK. As someone else mentioned, if I lived out in the wide open spaces, then probably one of my 8mm or 7.62x51 bolt actions - the latter if I felt that I was going to have to rely on scrounging for ammo, the former if basing my choice on current ammo supplies.

With that said, I hate the thought of getting rid of almost any of my rifles. I've bought, sold and traded to the point that I really want all that I have. In the case of some financial disaster (like prolonged loss of employment), then I would, but dang... it'd be like deciding which child (if I had kids) to give up. :):

Top Bottom