• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sjach virlym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    columbus in
    hello all, i have been looking into getting a smith and wesson 910s but heard long term they were not great guns and they were hard to find and hard to keep clean anyone have any insight?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I dont know who told you all of that! :)

The Smith 910 is their "value line" gun, meaning alloy frame and cheaper finish. Outside of that, the 910 is a VERY reliable 9mm, pretty accurate, and dirty/clean, doesn't matter, its reliable. Did I mention how reliable they are? :D The 910 was made DURING the last hi cap ban, but any 59 series Smith magazine will work. The one I had would actually run Promags (bought em on a whim) well, a mag known for their bad behavior.

As for cleaning, there is a bit more involved than today's modern tupperware guns, but not much. Any gun needs to be clean to have the slimmest margin of unreliability, thats regardless of manufacturer. The disassembly and reassembly is a bit different, but easy to manage. The biggest thing during reassembly is to not MASH the control parts in the rear of the gun when putting the side on. Folks get angry quick when the slide wont just go back on and try to force it. Find a Smith manual and it will detail this easy process in clear terms.

While not as clean looking in finish as the 5900 series Smiths, they are a bit lighter and easier to carry IMHO. The all stainless Smiths, while relatively compact and reliable, are heavy guns. The alloy of the 910/915 series really helps out in lightening the gun. While there are better options out there for carry (by a slim margin IMHO), the 910 is one of the better ones out there.

I would not pay more than 350 for one though, they were the "value line" after all :D.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    910s don't have a pretty finish. Other than that, they are reliable, accurate, and have exceptionally sweet double action triggers. Whoever told you that is suffering from a cranial-rectal insertion trauma :)

Good guns, if you've got a bead on one for a decent price, I'd snag it in a heartbeat.

sjach virlym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    columbus in
    thanks all for all the info you have definatly talked me into getting it for 350 as agreed by the dealer...sorry joe i love the stainless look i have held the gun and it feels great in my hand now just cant wait to pick it up and shoot it...ill post pics when i figure out how. thanks again - sjach

Top Bottom