• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadowmun43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    I started out with a Ruger 9mm and then went to a 10mil then a 40 cal and by the age of 25 been shooting 45acp which is good but makes a huge differance on the pistol,I had for about a year an actual Colt 1911 made in 1918 shot great close and far but wanted something with more in the mag so I went with a Springfield XDM 5" service tactical it shoots great for what I need it for I open carry it, and it CC pretty good as well now I'm 46 I can honestly say the guy with the 9mm popin almost always takes cover when the bark of the 45 acp shout back! The military was just going to 9mm when I went in and now they finally are going back or at least the special forces to the 45acp ask any WW11 vet that used one in the pacific which he prefer the 9mm or the 45acp the look you get from him says it all, just my opion and :twocents:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    with the bullet technology and the availability of +P rounds, i think anything bigger than 38 sp +P is fine. once you have a good caliber and a good load, shot placement is really more important than anything.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Confucius say, "Paragraph without punctuation like gun without bullets. Make no sense."

Ow! my eyes hurt from trying to read that!

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    The biggest, most technologicaly advanced bullet doesn't really help if you shoot it over the target's shoulder. What I'm saying is the best caliber is what you can shoot most accurately.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Oh wait, the question is in the Title.

You want to know what is the best caliber?

My answer is, whatever you can get hits with. Modern self defense ammo is remarkably effective compared to even just a few years ago. Even the "lowly" 9mm is effective with good ammo.

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    This is a debate that no one wins really. The honest answer, in my opinion, is that shot placement means far more than the bullet. I carry a 357, but I wouldn't feel undergunned if I had it loaded with 38 special +p. As mentioned before, modern ammunition is pretty effective. Practice practical shooting and get comfortable with managing recoil and making your follow-up shots. Three well placed .38 +p's will do you far better than one poorly placed .45 followed by 2 misses. For that matter, one well placed .38 +p will do you far better than one poorly placed .45acp.

If 45acp is what you shoot best and you can comfortably carry it (ie, its not so obtrusive you will start choosing to leave it at home), then I say practice with it and it'll serve you just fine.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Shoot a five shot, five inch group from five yards in under five seconds. You should be carrying the widest bullet in which you can do that successfully. That is as long as there are no other limiting factors such as a bad back making it painful to carry a big gun. There is a respectable difference in effectiveness between calibers. Don't buy into the idea that one is a good as another.

It is true that ammunition technology has advanced in recent years. However, those advances apply to a .45 as much as a 9mm. Also, the advances have been primarily in the area of penetration. It hasn't made skinny bullets wider. Shot placement is king. Penetration is queen. Making the biggest hole possible is like archduke or something. Shot placement and making a big hole are up to you.

The short answer to your question is that 45acp or 10mm are the best caliber but there may be reasons they do not work for everybody.

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    There is a respectable difference in effectiveness between calibers. Don't buy into the idea that one is a good as another.

It is true that ammunition technology has advanced in recent years. However, those advances apply to a .45 as much as a 9mm. Also, the advances have been primarily in the area of penetration. It hasn't made skinny bullets wider.

The short answer to your question is that 45acp or 10mm are the best caliber but there may be reasons they do not work for everybody.

The vast majority of trained professionals in the world of trauma as well as terminl ballistics will disagree with almost everything stated here.

I am not trying to be arguementative, simply offering a diffrent opinion.

The diffrences is expanded diameter and penetration are mostly insignifcant between the popular calibers (9,357,40,10mm,45) using modern HP ammunition.

Go here, read, ask questions, learn.
    Terminal Ballistic Information - M4Carbine.net Forums

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The vast majority of trained professionals in the world of trauma as well as terminl ballistics will disagree with almost everything stated here.

I am not trying to be arguementative, simply offering a diffrent opinion.

The diffrences is expanded diameter and penetration are mostly insignifcant between the popular calibers (9,357,40,10mm,45) using modern HP ammunition.

Go here, read, ask questions, learn.
    Terminal Ballistic Information - M4Carbine.net Forums

I've researched this exhaustively. Latest fads notwithstanding what I said is accurate. In your post you even admit a difference. You just label it insignificant. handgun ammunition is puny at beast. It is worth it to carry the least puny load whenever possible.

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've researched this exhaustively. Latest fads notwithstanding what I said is accurate. In your post you even admit a difference. You just label it insignificant. handgun ammunition is puny at beast. It is worth it to carry the least puny load whenever possible.

Is that extra 2/10 inch of expansion or 1" in penetration worth it if I could put three additional rounds on target in he same amout of time?

How about relability of the weapons platform? Availability of ammunition? Cost? Faster follow up shots?

These are not the latest Fads. I've researched this exhaustively too....

Op, start here, excellent read authored by the FBI, handgun wounding factors and effectivenss. Although dated, still quite relevent information: http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Try this next: Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Shot placement. They say a .22lr in the pocket is better than a .45 in the safe. How many people arguing caliber don't have a firearm within reach currently? Go practice.

(before anyone gets angry, above statement was not directed at anyone posting above, just a general statement)

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Shot placement is king when you need a handgun to protect yourself.

The only way to be proficient with your handgun of choice is to shoot it, a lot, at least hundreds of rounds per month...

If you can afford to shoot a 45 acp that much every month then carry it....

Carry what you shoot, shoot what you carry...

Bad guy's don't die from misses...

and a little tidbit about the whole concept of bigger being better, well maybe but if were talking about the normal human being... not so much. The normal human being is very fragile, probably one of the most fragile animals on the planet... not saying to carry a 22 LR, but if I get stuck with just a 22 LR I won't be afraid to use it... if forced too...

M .02 cents worth...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For many years the Police statistics listed the 125 gr .357 round as the number one, one shot perp stopper. That statistic may still be true, as the revolver was standard issue for so many years. Even with trick bullets, the 9mm is way down on the list. Maybe the .40 has been around long enough to make some good reputation on that list. The shot count fired per incident has been way up since semi autos have been issued weapons. When you only had six to count on, you had to make them count.
    Effective power with controllable accuracy is the balance that must be defined, and it is a little different for almost everyone.

As an old Bullseye, PPC, pin match and service pistol competitor, I do not feel inadequate with a .357 revolver nearby, but I like .40, .44, and .45 also

sigmachijc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Zionsville
    I have a 9mm Sig P226 and a .40 S&W Glock 27... both have their benefits... i like the stopping power of the .40 but i'm more accurate with my sig!

Top Bottom