What's the Best Compromise in Semi-auto Rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Okay I am going to go down a slightly different path

<PUTTING FLAME SUIT ON NOW>

The SKS, albeit somewhat inexpensive $300-$400 is too darn heavy for a SHTF rifle and honestly even for pinking for a significant period of time.

My suggestion, although it's not down the AR/AK route, is the Hi-Point 995TS carbine.

NOW WAIT, HOLD ON, Just hang with me for a minute.

Let's look at the OP's needs and resources. He noted that he is looking for:

- something inexpensive (Check for Hi-Point, not so much for AK or AR)
    - Someone noted that there is no need for more than a 10rd mag on the SKS (the 995TS is also a 10 round mag and additional mags don't weigh nearly as much as the SKS/AK/AR Mags do)
    - If he already has a 9mm firearm, there's no new ammo to introduce
    - The thing is lightweight and compact (huge bonus for plinking and SHTF)
    - As for reliability, mine's been 100% reliable with all types of ammunition, oh and these things are tack drivers with their iron sights.....

Well, I am sure that this will get "shot down" but hey sometimes we need to look for what we need not what we "want" or what, to someone else, will look cool.... My :twocents:

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    cmmg bargin bin ar-15 under 700$. Or go with an inspected wasr 10/64 ak-47 for 450-500. I own both including a 1k ar-15 and ar-pistol.

SKS? No thanks. Too cumbersome its a real rifle. Get a pistolized ak-47 or ar-15 for tight home defense. or best bet? Saiga-12 converted to ak format with folding stock.pistol grip.

Semi-auto 12GA is unbeatable for home defense.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't disagree with any of the options. However, the SKS becomes a lightweight, easy to handle rifle after removal of the bayonet. It becomes a totally different animal once you get rid of the knife.

I never bought one when they were everywhere for less than 100 bucks in the 1990's. I pretty much turned up my nose at them because of my perceptions at the time.

I got one from a customer to clear up his toolbill a couple of years ago. I changed my opinion of it after giving it a chance.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana

The SKS, albeit somewhat inexpensive $300-$400 is too darn heavy for a SHTF rifle and honestly even for pinking for a significant period of time.

My suggestion, although it's not down the AR/AK route, is the Hi-Point 995TS carbine.

- Someone noted that there is no need for more than a 10rd mag on the SKS (the 995TS is also a 10 round mag and additional mags don't weigh nearly as much as the SKS/AK/AR Mags do)
    - As for reliability, mine's been 100% reliable with all types of ammunition, oh and these things are tack drivers with their iron sights.....

Well, I am sure that this will get "shot down" but hey sometimes we need to look for what we need not what we "want" or what, to someone else, will look cool.... My :twocents:

this plus one...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I can see your point. However, the high point fires a pistol caliber. To me the point of the rifle is to fire a larger and harder hitting cartridge. I'm not saying that the pistol cartridge is inaffective. Or, I would not own pistols. If weight is an issue. Then the AR would be the better choice in my opinion. I know the rifle and ammo will cost more. However, it's still fairly light and packs more punch. My :twocents:

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    If you really have your heart set on an AR for this fuction, My suggestion <again putting on the flame suit> is an Olympic Arms AR. These are some of the least expensive AR's out there and everyone here realizes that Olympic makes some of the best shooting barrels for an AR.

With that being said, there is nothing inexpensive about an AR as the rifle itself is simply a down payment for the accessories that you will be putting on it.

If you're really looking for overall larger cartridge, lighter weight, mobile rifle, that is less expensive than an AR, the AK would be your best choice, however you'll want to save weight by replacing the wood with some type of polymer furniture.(this option will always be heaver than the AR or 995TS.

QM5Vt8Ni-SjNeX-nSVdXW7LMqhOyGwKAZVwW6U1HpmniFAjgtsMy1X2mXrqYo-jAY5OqI360LmRfW-PQfE67QXwa04SS1P_NVqLgfSt1vF1DvUFPQowlmCLVhwLHHRcAFBTT1b4d9bEVhBxH3WuoGPHv51s

~$215

century_ri1166-n.jpg

~$350 - $400
    thumb-pp.jpg

~$650.00

Top Bottom