What's the best designated marksman type scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    I just got a new AR-15. It's a 20" length and I'm looking for more of a designated marksman type scope for it. I'm new to the whole rifle thing so any input will help! I just spend a TON on a little over 1,000 .223/5.56 rounds and I just got out of the Army so I'm collecting unemployment for now and fairly "broke." Also, could you guys list some of the brands who make the parts? I know the lower is Rock River Arms and the upper is a custom made piece. I got it exactly the way the pictures show. It's never been shot, still has the tag on it. I'm contemplating taking it and my green tips to the Blue Chip on Saturday for the CPI show and seeing what I could get for it. As far as I know, I got it for a steal.

Edit - I know the flip up sights and the grip since I bought them when I bought the rifle.

image1gv.jpg

image2vtz.jpg

image3jau.jpg

image4vqt.jpg

image5jaq.jpg

Thanks guys,

Kyle:yesway:

Last edited:

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    ...could you guys list some of the brands who make the parts? ....

Looks like a SOPMOD stock (probably B5), Spikes Rail, US Palm grip, Magpul AFG, barrel I'm not sure, but it should be labeled. Any marking on the upper not pictured, like under the Magpul MBUS?

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Okay, the rail is off. The barrel has no markings on it. It is dimpled the entire length.

Well, crap! Off hand I don't know anyone who does rectangle dimples, maybe someone smarter than I will come along and identify, or it could be a no-name barrel with a custom dimple job? :dunno: Sorry

Oh, forgot to say it before, thank you for your service brother!
    If you get bored or don't land a job soon, there is always the guard/reserve.

shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    Well, crap! Off hand I don't know anyone who does rectangle dimples, maybe someone smarter than I will come along and identify, or it could be a no-name barrel with a custom dimple job? :dunno: Sorry

Oh, forgot to say it before, thank you for your service brother!
    If you get bored or don't land a job soon, there is always the guard/reserve.

No need to thank me. I got medically discharged so I won't be going back to the military. Even if I got out due to my contract ending, I'd still never go back. However, I would LOVE to land a contractor job if anyone here knows of any that are hiring right now.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    No need to thank me. I got medically discharged so I won't be going back to the military. Even if I got out due to my contract ending, I'd still never go back. However, I would LOVE to land a contractor job if anyone here knows of any that are hiring right now.

All vets deserve thanks. :patriot:
    Contractor hiring is probably difficult right now if not completely frozen with the sequester cuts :(

shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    All vets deserve thanks. :patriot:
    Contractor hiring is probably difficult right now if not completely frozen with the sequester cuts :(

Well, it's not all gov contracted so I'm sure there are still some. I was in touch with one company but they require the applicant to be 25 years of age and I just turned 23 a little over a month ago. I don't see what the difference is.

shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    Kyle, You do deserve Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone that wears the uniform is due our utmost respect!
    :welcome: 2 :ingo:
    and Welcome Home from the Indiana Patriot Guard Riders! :patriot:

Well, I'm just not one of those guys who do/did it for that. I am just proud to have been a part of the best organization on the face of the earth.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    welcome home! if the barrel is from R guns as well it was produced by a company called DEZ ARMS decent barrel for the money. you were asking about a scope for it i would recommend a 1-4x scope had a vortex viper pst on mine for a while really good glass mine had the MRAD reticle(loved it) illuminated around $450.00 if that is to salty then maybe a burris 1-4x around $300.00

shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    I know the barrel isn't from Rguns. I checked them all out last night. Just wondering why I can't find any maker on the barrel. I was told it was chrome lined but not 100% sure. But I'll check those out, thanks!

shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    All of my SDM had an ACOG. Their simple yet effictive.

TA31F.jpg

Did I mention that we were putting steel on targets at 700m consistently?

Trust me, if I could afford one right now, that would be my first choice. I've used one many times. I may have put down targets as well, although, they weren't steel... :dunno:

Top Bottom