What's the best lock for a folding knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have higher end knives that I carry, but more times than not, I'll grab that Paramilitary.....hard to explain, but I just like that knife...the feel, the edge performance, and I really like the compression lock. For a compression lock to fail, it would require that you either shear the stop pin, or crush the locking tab between the blade tang and stop pin, or force the stop pin and fasteners out the back of the liners. Note: The Para 2's stop pin is recessed into both liners which gives the stop pin even more strength.

COMPRESSION LOCK
    compresslock.jpg

It would be cool if Spyderco would do a Military 2 - a knife the size of the Military, but with the Compression Lock.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I used to have more expensive knives. I have sold them all and just have a pm2 now. I liked it so much that I stopped carrying everything else. Once I didn't use anything else for over 6 months, I sold everything but the pm2. No regrets.....LOVE my pm2.

Its not perfect, but it does everything I need it to do well. It's also not the prettiest, coolest, best fit and finish, etc... But it just works great for me.

As far as the lock, I used to be a die hard frame lock guy. I'm now a die hard compression lock guy. It's an awesome design. Not the strongest, but plenty strong for a folding knife. And the ergonomics and ease of use are awesome with the compression lock. Most well made locks from reputable manufacturers are stronger than what is needed in a properly used folding knife.

With all the high end knives you have access to, I'm rather surprised you prefer to carry the Spyderco ParaMilitary.

Last edited:

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Why all the hate for cold steel triad lock? I believe for pure strength the triad lock Is a beast. Yeah sure the hype is high but the facts don't lie.

But for edc use a simple back lock works well for me and I can close the blade one handed quite easily

Top Bottom