• What's the best lube?

• Total voters

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The original Breakfree CLP is the best thing I have used since the 1980s. The new stuff is not quite as good but I still use it and it does the job. No problems with rust or lubrication. Lately I have been testing out Dexron ATF. That stuff is really pretty amazing. If it can keep an automatic transmission running for years in heat and cold and with HEAVY loads then a pistol is pretty much child's play for it. Try some. The "Winchester" branded CLP sold at Walmart is junk. Save your money. The only CLP product that meets current Mil specs is G 96 CLP. It costs a little more but will protect your gun very well. Since Breakfree CLP got bought by Safariland it's not as good as the original. I get a chuckle out of all of the new "Wonderlubes" that come out and everybody jumps on them and endorses them and then they go out of business in a year or two.

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    It just occurred to me this thread is about LUBE, not cleaner, and I do sometimes use the homemade lube, but 90% of the time, for lubrication, I use Dow-Corning Molykote 33 grease.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    +1, It's all I have used on all my weapons.

I got a bottle in a raffle 10+ years ago and have been using it ever since. Never "gunks" up, burns off, or smells. The red dye will stain though if it gets on anything significantly stain-able.

Apparently Lucas gun oil was designed to prevent jamming and stand up to the high heat in large machine guns AND it's non-toxic (CLP is toxic waste).

Lucas Gun Oil Reviewed - TacticalExistence

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I use mostly RemOil for normal use. I like ABU Garcia Silcote reel oil and Reel Lube on frame rails. Great water displacement and no wear issues with either. NEVER rust issues on guns.
    I don't hunt much cold weather anymore since I'm getting OLD....BUT...IF you've ever had a bolt rifle freeze up on a bear hunt due to the lube you're using you'll probably stay with a silicone base cleaner/lube. I found out first hand the hard way. Close call.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    9MM or 45ACP?
    1911 or Glock?
    Coffee or tea?
    Black and white or color?
    Drawings or paintings?
    Dresses or skirts?
    Books or movies?
    Pepsi or Coke?
    Chinese or Italian?
    Early bird or night owl?
    Chocolate or vanilla?
    Introvert or extrovert?
    Hugs or kisses?
    Hunting or fishing?
    Winter or summer?
    Spring or fall?
    Rural or urban?
    PC or Mac?
    Tan or pale?
    Cake or pie?
    Ice cream or yogurt?
    Ketchup or mustard?
    :rolleyes:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It's actually a little more complex than just "Pepsi or Coke?". Some products really do work better in given circumstances than others, believe it or not. Using a heavy grease designed for bearings with very heavy rotational loads makes no sense in a semi auto pistol where the slide is just 'sliding' back and forth with no vertical or horizontal load on it. Sure, it may provide some lubrication but it also provides quite a bit of drag in the process. As the temp goes down even more drag is present. You don't need any additional drag in a semi auto gun. Think about what goes on in your car's engine and transmission. Are they filled with grease or oil? Or a fine Swiss watch movement. Grease or oil? Why? Pepsi or Coke?

Last edited:

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I tried small amounts of synthetic grease on a full metal rails - p226. 2 failures to eject in the next 50 rounds. Switched to something lighter. All was grand. Some lubes might effect how things function. Lesson learned.

Edit - read the post above mine. As I must have slept through it.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    9MM or 45ACP?
    1911 or Glock?
    Coffee or tea?
    Drawings or paintings?
    Dresses or skirts?
    Books or movies?
    Pepsi or Coke?
    Chinese or Italian?
    Early bird or night owl?
    Chocolate or vanilla?
    Introvert or extrovert?
    Hugs or kisses?
    Hunting or fishing?
    Winter or summer?
    Spring or fall?
    Rural or urban?
    PC or Mac?
    Tan or pale?
    Cake or pie?
    Ice cream or yogurt?
    Ketchup or mustard?
    That's a plethora of pointless typing, right there!

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Currently I have Lithium Grease, FrogLube, Hoppes Elite Gun Oil, Hoppes Dri-Lube, and Balistol on my shelf. I use each based on the firearm and what's being lubricated.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think Lubriplate No. 130-A and/or Lubriplate SFL-0 is about the best you can buy. A twelve dollar can will last a life-time or less. The US Military uses the No. 130-A grease.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    9MM or 45ACP?
    1911 or Glock?
    Coffee or tea?
    Drawings or paintings?
    Dresses or skirts?
    Books or movies?
    Pepsi or Coke?
    Chinese or Italian?
    Early bird or night owl?
    Chocolate or vanilla?
    Introvert or extrovert?
    Hugs or kisses?
    Hunting or fishing?
    Winter or summer?
    Spring or fall?
    Rural or urban?
    PC or Mac?
    Tan or pale?
    Cake or pie?
    Ice cream or yogurt?
    Ketchup or mustard?

That's a plethora of pointless typing, right there!

Much like this entire thread but the typing was "cut and paste" so it was easy.
    Thanks for caring, though. :rockwoot:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I voted "Other". I am a strong proponent of Weapon Shield. I use it on everything and I have always had great results. If you e-mail the company, the owner still sends out free samples of the oil. Then you can try it and see if you like it. He seems like a stand-up guy and was the original inventor of FP-10 (which is no longer the same formula as it used to be).

Website: Welcome to Weapon Shield - Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative for Weapons

e-mail: gcfennell@weaponshield.com

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've tried a lot of them and if limited to commercial lubes, like Slip 2000. I tried Froglube in a CZ Compact and the gun has never been the same since. Before, it was a buttery smooth 3000 plus round gun that felt perfect. After Froglube, it felt sticky. I did the recommended initial application and it felt good at first, with a nice dry slipperyness but after sitting for a while, it became sticky and would induce failures. Now, no matter how I try to clean the gun, it has not gone back to the original state, regardless of the lube used. I've cleaned with various gun cleaners and hosed it liberally with brake cleaner but it still has the feel of galling metal to metal contact. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of Froglube on a tight tolerance gun. Don't use it anywhere anymore.

The one lube I seem to keep going back to is a variation of Ed's Red. It's made with Mobil 1 oil, Mobil 1 ATF and a bit of STP. Mobil 1 provides great lube and the addition of some ATF adds a detergent package that helps in keeping the gun clean by limiting how well deposits stick. The STP is just a viscosity modifier that keeps it from creeping. My only dislike on Slip2000 is that it will creep eventually. If I put a couple of drops on 1911 rails, I have a slight trail dribbling down the front of the slide by the end of the day. Not a big deal, but it can leave a spot on dress clothes if you are not careful.

To be frank, I don't think there's a huge difference in most of the common petroleum based lubes. It's like arguing which style $20 bill is the best. In the end, they all pretty much work the same.

Top Bottom