What's the best thing to use to kill grass, weed brush etc...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    You are looking for a soil sterilant like mojave. Get it at siteone landscape supply. Or try prosecutor pro from the same place.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    One word. Concrete. :):

It's funny you mention that. My uncle poured concrete for a living. He was well on the way to having his yard done with left over concrete when the city stopped him. :): He had the largest patio you ever saw! Nice!

Thanks for the tips guys. I will look in to these. I really don't care if it take a few years for any thing to grow in these areas. And they are not in a area where pets/people travel.

Thanks again!

Larry

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    There is a Product called Ortho Ground clear. Comes in a Black gallon can. about $25 per gallon. Not sure active ingredient. When it is nice and dry, mix it strong, and it works pretty well. My rock driveway gets a dose aabout twice a year, and no issues. That's the best I can find OTC, lot cheaper than roundup. Kills Poison Ivy and Locust trees. I'll take it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It may be what Hough is referring to but I use the Round Up with the purple on the bottle. It is stronger than the other Round Up's. I also mix it slightly stronger. It seems to kill things pretty good though where I used it last year is now growing vegetation again this year.

I do know that salt works well. I once dumped my water softener brine tank on a section of my front yard. I think it was 3 years before I saw grass there again.
    When I was a kid, we had a small "patio" (really too small to be called a patio) outside our back door made of rectangular concrete pavers. It was my job to keep it weeded between the pavers. In an elementary school history class I learned about the Romans salting the ground of their enemies to cause starvation from not being able to grow crops. I started taking out the pavers in the spring, and putting down a bed of rock salt, then replacing the pavers. No weeding for the rest of the year.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is a Product called Ortho Ground clear. Comes in a Black gallon can. about $25 per gallon. Not sure active ingredient. When it is nice and dry, mix it strong, and it works pretty well. My rock driveway gets a dose aabout twice a year, and no issues. That's the best I can find OTC, lot cheaper than roundup. Kills Poison Ivy and Locust trees. I'll take it.

I've started using this instead of Roundup Extended Control and have been happy with the results. I bought the jug with the spray wand, but now I just buy the refill jugs, which are a little cheaper.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    When I was a kid, we had a small "patio" (really too small to be called a patio) outside our back door made of rectangular concrete pavers. It was my job to keep it weeded between the pavers. In an elementary school history class I learned about the Romans salting the ground of their enemies to cause starvation from not being able to grow crops. I started taking out the pavers in the spring, and putting down a bed of rock salt, then replacing the pavers. No weeding for the rest of the year.

When helping grandpa lay field tile, he'd always pour a large bag of rock salt on top of the tile near the ditch bank, and again at the other end if it was near the woods, then cover the trench. Keeps tree roots from getting near the tile. I did the same thing to a tile that my downspouts drain into where they cross my yard near some maple trees. 20 years later, they haven't been plugged up with roots yet. On the other side of my house, with no trees within 50 feet, I did not use the rock salt. I had to dig that tile up last year and found it packed solid with roots.:rolleyes:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Just get a big kettle, dissolve a couple pounds of pickling salt in warm water, pour in a cup or two of dawn dish soap, and a quart or so of white vinegar, you may have to apply it a few times over a week, but it’ll kill everything you spray it on. We’ve been using this recipe for a couple of summers now, and it works great.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I LOVE using my propane powered weed killer / just don't use it when the lawn is very dry or the whole thing would be scorched or even fully engulfed 10-70 spreading to your domicile.

Top Bottom