• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't run or reply to WTB ads, because of that exactly.
    Years ago I started a thread about WTB ads.
    The title was something along lines of "Do WTB ads really mean want to steal?"

And much like similar threads on price gouging and the current market, it was controversial to say the least.

You're saying if somebody says they WTB something that means they want to "steal" it from somebody?
    Or if somebody answers a WTB ad that means they're a price "gouger"?
    That's totally absurd. :laugh:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    DDI have such a stellar reputation that Copper Custom (IIRC) couldn’t sell them near the end of the stock they had and let at least a few of them go for “free” with the purchase of another firearm.

Something along the lines of a RAS47, if you’re gonna sell it you either take a wash, or find some unsuspecting buyer.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You're saying if somebody says they WTB something that means they want to "steal" it from somebody?
    Or if somebody answers a WTB ad that means they're a price "gouger"?
    That's totally absurd. :laugh:

I don't think someone replying to the ad is a "gouger" per sey.
    But I have suspected the person placing the WTB is looking for a deal, and really would love a steal of a deal.
    I understand this, and to a certain degree it must work or they wouldn't place the ads.

Or I could have it completely wrong, maybe they have looked everywhere and just can't find what they are looking for?
    I find this hard to believe because it all can be found on GB, most just don't want to pay for it.

Usually the tip off for me is something like this:
    Looking for a beater/trashed out Glock 19, doesn't need to look pretty just be functional.
    Which tells me, hey I want a Glock 19 cheap.
    And there may be a list of reasons why they want the Glock cheap, but I suspect it really is just to flip it elsewhere.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't think someone replying to the ad is a "gouger" per sey.
    But I have suspected the person placing the WTB is looking for a deal, and really would love a steal of a deal.
    I understand this, and to a certain degree it must work or they wouldn't place the ads.

Or I could have it completely wrong, maybe they have looked everywhere and just can't find what they are looking for?
    I find this hard to believe because it all can be found on GB, most just don't want to pay for it.

Usually the tip off for me is something like this:
    Looking for a beater/trashed out Glock 19, doesn't need to look pretty just be functional.
    Which tells me, hey I want a Glock 19 cheap.
    And there may be a list of reasons why they want the Glock cheap, but I suspect it really is just to flip it elsewhere.

So can we agree that each WTB situation should be judged individually on it's merits?
    I just can't agree with painting everybody that engages in WTB ads as hornswogglers. ;)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    DDI have such a stellar reputation that Copper Custom (IIRC) couldn’t sell them near the end of the stock they had and let at least a few of them go for “free” with the purchase of another firearm.

Something along the lines of a RAS47, if you’re gonna sell it you either take a wash, or find some unsuspecting buyer.

That pretty much takes most of the wind right out of my sails, lol. I always thought they were considered a mid level rifle. I don't doubt they were overpriced though.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    That pretty much takes most of the wind right out of my sails, lol. I always thought they were considered a mid level rifle. I don't doubt they were overpriced though.

Is yours 100% American made or built from an eastern bloc kit? If it's the latter a sale in this climate is all but guaranteed to help your sails.

So can we agree that each WTB situation should be judged individually on it's merits?
    I just can't agree with painting everybody that engages in WTB ads as hornswogglers. ;)

I agree that every ad is different and every poster has a different agenda. I also don't think everyone is looking to rip off everyone else. Don't want to spend $500 on a case of 9mm? Move on. Don't want to sell your case of 9mm for $200? Move on :cool:

To me the WTB ads are like reverse negotiating. Say someone lists something for sale for $1,000 OBO and I want it for $800 - maybe we go back and forth and both settle for $900. I've posted WTB ads on INGO and elsewhere looking for AK stuff, because I am ALWAYS looking for more AK stuff (it really is a sickness) and because lots of folks have AK stuff but aren't into AKs, like the OP here. Maybe I want your pile of surplus mags for $100 and you want $200, but we settle on $150 which seems fair to us both. I've nabbed some cool stuff through WTBs on INGO and met some good guys. I've also turned down a few offers because we couldn't quite strike a deal - no harm, no foul.

Some people have stuff they'd consider selling but haven't taken the time to pull it out of storage, edit photos, and write up a WTS. But then they see a WTB ad and realize they already have a potential buyer for said stuff.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Is yours 100% American made or built from an eastern bloc kit? If it's the latter a sale in this climate is all but guaranteed to help your sails.

I agree that every ad is different and every poster has a different agenda. I also don't think everyone is looking to rip off everyone else. Don't want to spend $500 on a case of 9mm? Move on. Don't want to sell your case of 9mm for $200? Move on :cool:

To me the WTB ads are like reverse negotiating. Say someone lists something for sale for $1,000 OBO and I want it for $800 - maybe we go back and forth and both settle for $900. I've posted WTB ads on INGO and elsewhere looking for AK stuff, because I am ALWAYS looking for more AK stuff (it really is a sickness) and because lots of folks have AK stuff but aren't into AKs, like the OP here. Maybe I want your pile of surplus mags for $100 and you want $200, but we settle on $150 which seems fair to us both. I've nabbed some cool stuff through WTBs on INGO and met some good guys. I've also turned down a few offers because we couldn't quite strike a deal - no harm, no foul.

Some people have stuff they'd consider selling but haven't taken the time to pull it out of storage, edit photos, and write up a WTS. But then they see a WTB ad and realize they already have a potential buyer for said stuff.

I have no personal experience with WTB ads.
    To me, a WTB ad can MAYBE be useful when it doesn't fit the other categories or it's something out of the ordinary somebody is looking for to buy or sell locally.
    My main point is, I just don't want to rule them all out.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Wafffen werks had some quality issues and eventually sold to DDI.

The kit DDIs were solid guns.

The american forged DDI had a few issues. They had a problem with a bad batch of extractors. The one i had snapped the extractor within 40 rounds. DDI sent me a replacement but i had already sourced one from numrich. My rifle has approximately 7600 rounds through it now and runs like a clock. I did put an extra power wolff recoil spring in it. Only thing i changed other than furniture.

A few others on akforums had issues with the folding stock models and some welds popping.

Other than that broken bolts is news to me. Havent seen any news on that. If someone can cite it i would be interested.

As for warranty. Covered by palmetto state armory as they purchased DDI. All of their aks are modeled after the DDI forged aks. So yea.

-edit-

Sorry also have an alg akt-e trigger in it.

sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    I have sold on gunbroker many times.
    If I were to sell an AK, that is where I would put it right now.
    As far as shipping a rifle, you do not need to use an FFL to ship it.
    I always put it on the buyer too make sure his FFL will receive from an individual and I include a photocopy of my DL with the rifle.

Because of scammers there are a number of buyers that will not buy something expensive from a non rated seller.
    In other words if you have no feedback on GB it may be harder for you to sell something expensive.
    Before I started selling, I made 4 small purchases on GB to get my feedback "up" before I started selling.

Edit: I have been a registered user on GB since 2004 with 73 positive feedbacks.

Thanks for this reply, I have been thinking about selling on GB too but have no feedback or account. I'll have to look into doing the same as you with getting a few small purchases to get my feedback up first.

Have you ever sold a handgun on there? It seems shipping is more restrictive for hand guns than rifles/long guns. If so what did you use for shipping?

sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    I've been on gunbroker for a lot of years, not sure where to find out how many. I've got some feedback as a buyer, and everything has been good. There's a couple local FFL's that I can approach about having them ship and transfer. I was trying to find on gunbroker what their selling fees were exactly.

I always thought DDI had a decent reputation. Certainly not top tier, but pretty far from a century wasr. I think the model I bought was just north of $900 new years ago.

I've only tried a WTB ad here once and all I got was scammers.

Have you ever sold anything on GB before? I'm thinking of selling a handgun on there and looking for someone who has sold before.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Thanks for this reply, I have been thinking about selling on GB too but have no feedback or account. I'll have to look into doing the same as you with getting a few small purchases to get my feedback up first.

Have you ever sold a handgun on there? It seems shipping is more restrictive for hand guns than rifles/long guns. If so what did you use for shipping?

I have sold handguns on there before. I used U.S. Defense Solutions to ship them.
    Handguns do have to ship from an FFL to an FFL.
    I used to charge $35 to ship them, which is pretty close to actual cost. USDS charges $20 for the transfer and as an FFL they can ship through the USPS and not forced to ship next day air.
    At that time it was $13 or so actual shipping + the $20 for the transfer fee.
    If I listed a handgun today I would most likely charge $40 for shipping as shipping has gone up since 2016, which was the last time I sold anything on GB.
    Shipping a rifle today I would charge $50 to $60.

Top Bottom