What's the difference between Ruger Mark I and Mark III?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Mark I
    1. 9 round mag
    2. No last round bolt hold
    3. Manual bolt hold with safety
    4. Mag release on heel of grip

Mark II
    1. 10 round mag
    2. Last round bolt hold
    3. Mag release on heel of grip
    4. Some models were drilled and tapped for scope mounts

Mark III
    1. 10 round mag (not compatible with Mk II)
    2. Last round bolt hold
    3. Thumb mag release
    4. Mag safety/will not fire without mag
    5. Loaded chamber indicator
    6. Drilled and tapped for scope mounts

My preference is the Mk II, but the new mag release is much better in my mind. With a little work, you can remove the mag disconnect safety and basically make a Mk III act like a Mk II. I own one of all three. Each are fun to shoot. You really can't go wrong with any Ruger .22 pistol in my mind.

And don't be intimidated by cleaning it. Go slow, read the instructions, and ask questions. My dad showed me when I was 12 how to do it. I messed up a few times in the beginning, but can do it with my eyes closed now.
    Good info. I prefer my MKII over the MKIII as well. My MK III is the 45/22 or 22/45 which ever. I think the grip is to skinny. Wish I could find fat grips to put on it. I agree take down is more difficult than most, but if you can read and follow instructions, it's not that bad.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a I and a III. Got the III in a fit of dumb following some disbelief from others that my solution to getting the I to eat HPs would work. Took that III apart and whatya know, just like what I was going to do. Finally (!) got that [bad word] III back together, and once I extend the ramp on the I I'll find the III a new home. Hardly fired, I'd trade it straight up for a good II.

The II/III mags can be modified for the I. The little button on the side needs to be a little button on the other side. Some disassembly required, but it's easy. Still haven't quite worked out keeping the catch from snagging on the bottom of the metal.

Save yourself a lot of headaches, and order one of these. It will make tear down a snap, and improve the trigger and take-up on your Mark lll.

Top Bottom