• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i used to say the same thing until i rented one (s&w e series) after shooting one, i completely understand the fuss over this gun. shoot one, and you will understand, it cant really be explained, but has to be experienced.

Marine1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Terre Haute
    One of if not the best handgun ever made.i own 2 one old gov. issue colt and a newer colt 1991 series.i love to shoot both of them well that's just my 2 cents

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    A full sized Springfield 1911 was my first handgun. I learned to shoot and carry with that gun and later on, used it to teach my sons how to shoot. To me, the 1911 is one of the best looking handguns ever created. It does not matter if it's a worn WWII Remington Rand or a modern, deep blued 1911 with mammoth ivory grips. They all look fantastic.

The trigger pull is really nice and the reset is very short. The .45 ACP round has a soft yet positive recoil that reminds you that you are shooting a very capable caliber. The weight helps keep the muzzle down and follow up shots are fast to get back on target. The 1911 is the gun that went to war with American soldiers for over 100 years and is every bit as effective today as it was in 1911. Sure, there are newer guns that have higher capacities or are lighter but none of them have the character or soul that the 1911 has.
    that's the word i was looking for soul there like a m1 garand there just something about them that feels right.

mopar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    greenfield, in
    it is a tried and true design that has endured over the years. I just purchased one 2 weeks ago and I really like the feel of it in you hand. Very well balanced

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Sure, there are newer guns that have higher capacities or are lighter but none of them have the character or soul that the 1911 has.

:+1:

This.

To me, the 1911 design is the Japanese katana of the firearms world.

Modern steel production techniques produce steels that are superior (homogeneity, strength, etc.) in almost every way to that of Japan's Koto-period (considered the "golden age" of Japanese swordmaking) blades. However, a mass-produced clone does not, can not, and will not have the soul or the 'Shibumi' 渋み* of a steel weapon that has been produced through the skill, effort, and dare I say Love :wwub: of a dedicated craftsman.

*(A Japanese word that has no direct translation in English, but can best be described as austere/refined elegance. Example: A plain-looking, Parkerized, accurate and reliable pistol, or an 'imperfect' coarsely made tea bowl has Shibumi; a Don's Guns gold-plated anything, or a plastic tea cup...none at all.)

Like swords, if properly maintained, an all-steel handgun can be passed down for generations to come. A handgun made of injection-molded polymer, even a well-maintained one, WILL eventually deteriorate and become brittle per our own LarryC's informative post on the subject, putting the legacy potential of tactical tupperware in doubt.

Being an "if it ain't broke, don't try to 'fix' it!!" :nono: kinda guy, I have no problem with sticking to old-school gear. Even a katana can still be called upon to take care of business and protect innocent life in our modern age, and the fact that the 1911 is a design that is over 100 years old and yet is still in service as the go-to gun for those at the tip of the spear is part of the reason for all the fuss about John M. Browning's timeless masterpiece by those who prefer it over newer :baby: , less proven designs. :D

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    My Para GI Expert had only two malfunctions in the first 50 rounds through it. It's been flawless ever since and it had around 2,000 rounds through it. I'm considering using as my carry gun. That is the faith I have in it.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    The 1911 is an excellent design the fits the hand well, has the perfect "natural" point & shoot form. They are awesomely durable and reliable. They come in many sizes and infinitely customizable. I have a half dozen. My daily carry is a Colt Defender.

I don't think the 1911 is the right "carry" pistol for beginners or for those that don't practice regularly.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    1911's are like a piece of steel artwork brought into the world by the genius of the incomparable John Moses Browning; perhaps the greatest firearms inventor of all time! When all the "plastic" pistols have long worn out, an all metal 1911 will still be shooting and doing its job. Buy a nice 1911 and enjoy it forever!

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    From a purely personal standpoint I would not likely be here today if my dad hadn't carried a Remington Rand 1911A1 during WWII in the Pacific.

I was a mid teen when dad introduced me to the 1911 and I experienced the shear power and simplicity of that platform, and I have been hooked on 1911's ever since. I'm not a big guy so 'carriability' for me is pretty important. I use a good holster on a stiff belt or a shoulder rig and have no problem using one as an EDC...full size USGI model.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    blah blah blah

Find me one that duplicates 1911 ergonomics with modern production methods and I'll be a buyer.

Many have tried, but nobody has succeeded. I'm not a purist. I will try anything. The CZs are about the closest it gets, but still no cigar.

I suspect that you will eat your words one day, though. When I started shooting, I was just like you. I bought every new thing there was and shot it. One day, I shot a 1911 and realized that it fit my hand better and was easier to shoot than all that modern "technology." I sold them all and I carry and shoot 1911s almost exclusively now. I resisted, and I ended up with a 1911 anyway.

I DON'T like the fact that it's a design from an era where manual machining and craftsmanship was the norm, and cheap, because that stuff isn't cheap today and it makes it hard to make an affordable, reliable, well-fit, and high quality pistol (that said, with hand fitting and a good gunsmith, the 1911 can be absolutely superb). That doesn't make the 1911 antiquated until it has a replacement, and in my opinion, nothing--no pistol--has duplicated the shootability and ergonomics of the 1911 design.

When such a pistol exists, I hope to own one. But I'm not holding my breath. Nothing invented in my lifetime even comes close.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    1) Trigger. A 1911 has the absolutely best trigger in a handgun. Comparing it to the SA part of a DA/SA trigger has no merit. You don't get the same trigger pull every time. Comparing it to the SA of a nice revolver is fine...for one shot. Then you have to cock the revolver again. Not just weight, but smoothness and the very short reset travel lend themselves to rapid shooting.

2) Grip. The angle is perfect for me and it points naturally. The single stack grip fits my hand perfectly and the length of pull from the grip to the trigger is ideal for a consistent and proper finger placement on the trigger.

3) Weight. I don't mind a heavy pistol, as it helps tamp recoil and allows you to shoot faster.

4) Power. .45 from a 5" barrel? Yes, please.

5) Accuracy. Is there another handgun you can get a 1.5" @ 50 yard guarantee? When I was carrying a 1911 daily I could plink off the little plasic green soldiers at 50 yards with regularity.

There are modifications over the original design that I want on a duty weapon. Better sights, a mag funnel for faster reloads, 8 round flush magazines, but many factory guns come that way today.

If there's anything that's antiquated, its the reputation of the 1911 as not being reliable or running hollowpoints. I'd shelf my Sig P220 carry my 1911 as a duty gun in a heartbeat if my dep't authorized SAO.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    1) Trigger. A 1911 has the absolutely best trigger in a handgun. Comparing it to the SA part of a DA/SA trigger has no merit. You don't get the same trigger pull every time. Comparing it to the SA of a nice revolver is fine...for one shot. Then you have to cock the revolver again. Not just weight, but smoothness and the very short reset travel lend themselves to rapid shooting.

2) Grip. The angle is perfect for me and it points naturally. The single stack grip fits my hand perfectly and the length of pull from the grip to the trigger is ideal for a consistent and proper finger placement on the trigger.

3) Weight. I don't mind a heavy pistol, as it helps tamp recoil and allows you to shoot faster.

4) Power. .45 from a 5" barrel? Yes, please.

5) Accuracy. Is there another handgun you can get a 1.5" @ 50 yard guarantee? When I was carrying a 1911 daily I could plink off the little plasic green soldiers at 50 yards with regularity.

There are modifications over the original design that I want on a duty weapon. Better sights, a mag funnel for faster reloads, 8 round flush magazines, but many factory guns come that way today.

If there's anything that's antiquated, its the reputation of the 1911 as not being reliable or running hollowpoints. I'd shelf my Sig P220 carry my 1911 as a duty gun in a heartbeat if my dep't authorized SAO.

This!!! :yesway::yesway::yesway:

I too get very tired of this notion that 1911's can't be reliable, etc. And I couldn't agree more with your other points!

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Wow! what more can I add except if your ever in the area I'll let you shoot mine.
    The first one I shot I fell in love with. Now I own three. Two full sized Government and one Officers model. Then there's stopping power, nothing beats it. It has a 96% one shot stopping power record to 38 spl.'s 65%. ( a .357 Mag ties it.)

In my opinion any single action is just easier to control first through the last shot.

askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    I have owned and carried a Glock 23 for many years but have always been a fan of the 1911 and had one day planned to buy one. My dad gave me his 1911 recently and after firing it I can honestly say that I enjoy the 1911 more than any other pistol I have fired. I do have an issue with stove piping occasionally but am working on getting this issue corrected. Once it is I will make this gun my carry gun. After shooting a 1911 I can definitely see what all of the fuss is about

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have owned and carried a Glock 23 for many years but have always been a fan of the 1911 and had one day planned to buy one. My dad gave me his 1911 recently and after firing it I can honestly say that I enjoy the 1911 more than any other pistol I have fired. I do have an issue with stove piping occasionally but am working on getting this issue corrected. Once it is I will make this gun my carry gun. After shooting a 1911 I can definitely see what all of the fuss is about

Ammo and Grip....if it continues to SP then it is mechanical.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Don't do it. Your wallet will hate you. You'll buy one and, not long after, you'll be looking for another one. I've had the Ruger for a bit, just got a compact Kimber on Tuesday, haven't even gotten a chance to fire it yet and I'm already thinking about getting a Sig Scorpion.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol at people saying they were designed to be hand fit and you have to pay big bucks for a hand fit 1911 these days or you'll end up with junk.

Originally, they were made for war. They were made so that if a gun smith had a bucket of 20 parts kits, he could assemble the parts and have 20 fully functional weapons without hand fitting every part. The tolerances weren't as uber tight as today's Wilson/Ed brown/insert high end manufacturer. They were essentially loose fit with an expected lifespan of 8k rounds (which is plenty for a duty weapon).

Today's manufacturing techniques have made them so that they last longer, are more reliable, and are more accurate.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Today's manufacturing techniques have made them so that they last longer, are more reliable, and are more accurate.

I would say today MOST reputable manufacturers build quality firearms that are designed to last long, be reliable and extremely accurate. 1911 vs any quality platform is pretty much a user choice. As long as it works for you and holds up to your standards then its good to go.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    The fuss about the 1911:

1. American built
    2. Military tested
    3. Accurate
    4. Reliable
    5. Chambered in .45 ACP

Is it the best pistol in the world? Not to me.

However, I certainly understand why it is so well loved. IMO, it is one of the great handguns of all time.

#1 Not all of them are
    #2 So was the Ruby and the Nambu:n00b:
    #4. Yeah right, never seen one yet.:rolleyes:
    #5. So are a lot of others.

As you may tell not a 1911 fan boy. I like them, had one, sold it, will not get another one.

I thought about another one years ago and found that a Glock 30 weighted less, held more rounds, would eat anything I put in it, and no safety to fiddle with and no hammer to snag on anything. Way more accurate than my last 1911 and any other that I shot, oh and my Glock is made in the U.S. unlike my last 1911(Springfield made in Brazil). By the way I'm not a Glock fanboy, the 30 is the only Glock I own out of 15 handguns.

I think 1911's are pretty guns as well as a piece of history but are not for me to carry. To each their own.

Top Bottom