What's the last thing you think would balance a fan blade?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    :):

CSB...

I actually managed to end up with scalp lacerations from a ceiling fan.

Rewind to my yout. I was a junior in HS and was on a cool class trip; Marine Biology. It was a class we would spend the winter Saturdays studying in class, then over spring break we would go to the florida keys to Newfound Harbor Marine Institute where we would spend the week snorkeling and continuing the class.

The dorms had metal bladed fans and bunk beds. BAD combination. The one in our room was literally stuck on high. (knob was missing) I didnt realize how close the blades were to the beds and I went to jump up onto the top bunk that first night and caught 3 blade strikes to the left side of my head. (yes, that probably explains a few things) The wounds werent bad, but enough to get my attention. (no profuse bleeding)

The next day we were scheduled to swim in a natural tank/ closed bay with a 5' nurse shark. I put on my gear and jumped in. Aaaaand then immediately jumped right back out. Salt water to the wounds was not pleasant a mere 12 hours post injury.

I did eventually get back to snorkeling the 2nd day, but that first day was a no go.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    There is a church in Florida that we attend every winter when we're down there that has this one ceiling fan that wobbles really bad and no one seems to care, but it is a distraction at least to me and I want so badly to get a ladder and balance it before it tares it self loose and falls.
    Oh well, such is life.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The other thing that I found that helps is getting all the blades to spin in the same plane. I use a white crayon to mark the lowest blade (while the fan is running at max speed), it requires a steady hand. Turn the fan off and make sure the blade it mounted tight (they're usually loose), and if it is tight, bend it up. Rinse and repeat for desired results.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    What's the last thing you'd expect would balance a ceiling fan? How about beer cans and twist ties.

I was at a (extended) party at a place in the panhandle of FL a bit back (now gone due to hurricane). During the night it was decided that we needed to play Beer Hunter but we needed a technological answer to agitating the beers...so we came up with the genius idea to strap a can to each of the blades of the ceiling fan and let 'er rip. That fan was perfectly balanced until the moment when all 4 cans simultaneously departed the fan for various parts of the room where they tended to explode. Beer Hunter...where everyone's a winner.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah. I'm not OCD. Nor CDO.

Though I will admit I momentarily tried using my reloading scale to measure the blades in grains. It was heavier than the scale could register, so I settled on grams without a second thought.
    COD then?

[video=youtube;Py2fiifvxKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2fiifvxKI[/video]
    I'd really like to know what his thought process was. Did he really think his head would be faster than his hand? Never mind his hand isn't going to be fast enough to make it between the blades either...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I had a nickel for every time someone called me OCD I'd have $34.70.

I think I wouldn't try to balance a fan with cats, but I'd probably have to hot glue them to the blades, anyway.

The moment of inertia is indeed important. You might make the blades' masses match, but if you're adding mass to achieve this, it matters where on the blade your addition is placed. A good approximation would be to mass the blade balanced on a razor edge placed on the pan of your scale or balance. Make the addition at that point, preserving the point of balance. It wouldn't have to be a razor as such, just narrow enough that an imbalance will be obvious.

Gee, I sure hope no one overlooks that detail. It could be like that . . . forever.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I get your point, but my well running fan thinks its a moot point. I placed the weight at the midpoint to strike a balance, and it balanced the fan as it no longer exhibits even the slightest hint of a wobble. So if there is a problem, it doesnt matter in this case because we are literally talking about adding 1-2 grams of glue, so around a half a percent change of total mass. And its a ceiling fan, not an airplane propeller. :):

Gee, I sure hope it stays the way as balanced as it is over time. It would be a shame to overlook that detail and have a problem later. That could happen. In the future.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Gee, I sure hope it stays the way as balanced as it is over time. It would be a shame to overlook that detail and have a problem later. That could happen. In the future.

What are you, a gangster soliciting protection money? "Nice ceiling fan you got there. It'd be a shame if something was to, uh, unbalance it."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, if 5 years of slightly wobbling didnt break something, I SERIOUSLY doubt another 5 of imperceptible wobble will do any harm. :rolleyes:

Cant be any worse than the wobble on the downstairs fan that broke one of the plastic attachment points for a non-fan rated box. Fixing that one today with a proper box. (and even less hot glue on this one)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What are you, a gangster soliciting protection money? "Nice ceiling fan you got there. It'd be a shame if something was to, uh, unbalance it."

Hush, you!

Well, if 5 years of slightly wobbling didnt break something, I SERIOUSLY doubt another 5 of imperceptible wobble will do any harm. :rolleyes:

Cant be any worse than the wobble on the downstairs fan that broke one of the plastic attachment points for a non-fan rated box. Fixing that one today with a proper box. (and even less hot glue on this one)

You're probably right, I'm sure nothing will happen. Probably.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    WHY! Those could be used for a very nice DIY brass tumbler!

I'm a car guy, which by definition means I'm already a hoarder. Junk eventually has to go!

That said, don't let your dreams be dreams. The price of the treadmill motor is you take the rest of the treadmill with you. Located in Elkhart Co. PM if you're serious.

Top Bottom