What's the most painful thing you've had to do to yourself?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Another ingrown toenail surgeon here. Cut it out with a pocket knife and tweezers when I was a kid.

As an adult I removed the stitches from my infected "undercarriage" after a vasectomy. Self-absorbing stitches my a**.

I used to bother with the cutting out and all that.

Eventually I got sick of the thing and just ripped it out with my best pair of Knipex needle nose (cleaned with alcohol).

Dumb thing STILL came back again.

I've been very fortunate to avoid major injury for the most part.

There was that think-I-broke-my-neck-because-it-still-bothers-me-15-years later racquetball incident. Note: never dive in the direction of a wall if you might hit it and snap your neck.

Then there was the time I caught about 15 feet of air on an older XR350 Honda and "stuck' the landing. "Stick" meaning bending the handlerbars with my chin and taking out the gas tank (venting at the cap) with my sternum-- only after landing testicles-first on the seat. I've NEVER had the wind knocked out of me that bad, and I HOPE never again. I swore I was going to die.

I've had the usual knee scopes and shoulder scopes and all that, but NOTHING like what some of you guys are posting. It hurts just to read it!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    When I was about 20 we had a go-cart that was about 3' wide and 6' long. We soon tired of the 5hp briggs and put a 400 suzuki dirt bike motor on it with motorcycle tires in the rear.
    Riding double on it . I was on the back next to the motor, It fish tailed something horrible when shifting gears, I was launched about 25 ' when it went into the death roll. My buddy was pinned to the seat by the steering wheel and rolled with it about 6 times before it spit him out. He said after he stopped sliding on the road he looked up to see it do one last flip and land on its wheels on top of me.
    He had road rash on his palms and elbows, the left side of my face had some rash,luckily I landed in the ditch and not on the road, and I had a concussion.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    All of you repeat ingrown toenail guys should just get it over with for good and see a podiatrist. Have the nail removed properly then have the nail matrix burned with carbolic acid. No more painful home surgeries that are temporary and only a few days of discomfort while it heals. It does mess up future pedicures though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All of you repeat ingrown toenail guys should just get it over with for good and see a podiatrist. Have the nail removed properly then have the nail matrix burned with carbolic acid. No more painful home surgeries that are temporary and only a few days of discomfort while it heals. It does mess up future pedicures though.

yeah right. I had one cut out and partially burned to prevent that side from growing back. within 10 years it came back. While not as bad, I think now its because I stay on top of it and keep it trimmed before it can dig in.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Laying on the hood of a car that just plowed into me kicking with all I have with my left leg trying to get my motor cycle out of the grill of the car I was laying on so I could get my right leg out from between them!! After about three or four min of that it, I got my leg out made about three hops across the road fell down and was so mad I took my helmet off and threw it at the car!!

Three operations over the years and then total knee replacement 3 years ago!! Six weeks in a cast from my hip to my foot! It has not been much fun! :)

Oh and I had a 28,500 lb piece of equipment roll over me but that knocked me out and broke my back! but that is a different story! :)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    yeah right. I had one cut out and partially burned to prevent that side from growing back. within 10 years it came back. While not as bad, I think now its because I stay on top of it and keep it trimmed before it can dig in.

Both my big toes are nail-less via the removal/burn. Not just partial removal. Never had anything come back and one has been an easy 16-17 years. Other one hasn't been quite as long, probably 8 years.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Ran my manhood over with a hot iron once. I was running late for a job interview and jumped out of the shower and didn't have a ironing board. So I just laid a towel on the table and used the table as one. well table was just the right height and well my manhood acted like a speed bump for the iron. Still have a scar from that one.

Shot a 16 penny nail threw my middle figure.

Had 1000 pounds of drywall and plywood fall on my head in the back of a semi. That one really really really hurt. it put my nose completely under my right eye and split my lip from my gums all the way back. Then when I fell out of the trailer and landed on my knee i broke my knee cap.

Watched my 38 year old aunt fight brain cancer for 10 years. only to loose and leave this world way to soon.

But the one that hurt the most was watching my son go threw 2 open heart surgeries. One at 9 months old and the other at 4 years old. It all worked out and now he is 8 and doing just fine. But I don't wish that kind of pain on any father in the world.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Then there was the time I caught about 15 feet of air on an older XR350 Honda and "stuck' the landing. "Stick" meaning bending the handlerbars with my chin and taking out the gas tank (venting at the cap) with my sternum-- only after landing testicles-first on the seat. I've NEVER had the wind knocked out of me that bad, and I HOPE never again. I swore I was going to die.

:rofl:

Sorry, that is hilarious!! Been there.

Ever see someone get air on a old Kawasaki KD100?
    There is a reason, because it's almost impossible without bottoming the poor little thing out and getting knocked out in the process.
    Good times, good times.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I had a broken tooth that was bothering me REAL bad. I removed the remainder of it with needle nosed pliers while looking in the medicine cabinet mirror. Hey, it was the weekend. You can't find a dentist with a search warrant if it's Saturday!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    There is a lake outside of Columbus called Grandview.The hill on the south side is called pikes peak.We used to ride around it as exercise in the off cross country(running) season.The hill is very steep and probably almost a mile long,followed by a 90 degree turn at the bottom before a creek.Now picture 4 sixteen year old competitive boys racing to the bottom.I won the race to the bottom of the hill by a large margin,but when your brake pads are smearing on your rims instead of stopping you before a 90 degree corner you are in trouble.

I lost it in the corner and managed to slide on my shoes and one arm into the creek.Lost a good portion of the skin on my forearm,but the bad part was the gravel now imbedded in my bloody hunk of an arm.I went into shock for sure pulling gravel out of my arm,some where easy (this was not small gravel)but the ones that where up under my skin...imagine at 16 putting your fingers under your own skin through a gaping hole.Wrapped it in my shirt and rode the 11 miles to a friends house.Having had basic first aid(Boy Scouts)my friends actually managed to take decent care of me lol.A few bottles of alcohol,some iodine,and bandaged it up(while propping my feet up because we all figured I was in shock).I stayed on the couch a few hours,then rode home never letting an adult see the damage(it was summer break).
    Lucky for me we did a decent job at cleaning and it never did get infected.I should have had stitches though,and have quite a few scars on that forearm.I also finished the Hilly 100 that year for the first time(that is a totally different kind of pain).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

That's good in theory..

Until the Podiatrist doesn't do a thorough job with the carbolic acid and leaves a TINY little bit left behind.

And you end up with a nail sliver growing vertically out of the lower corner your big toe.

I managed to keep it mostly trimmed, but have found that just yanking the thing out with needle nose last much longer.

But still it returns. EVERY time.

I'm not going through the pain of another procedure for a mild annoyance I can easily manage.

Top Bottom