• ...and so much more!
  • Nemick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Fishers
    Hi all,

I've been reading a bunch of stuff on the internet that states that the military are less than happy with the 5.56x45 ammunition they use. I have read many anecdotal reports of dismal stopping power of this NATO round and was wondering whether anyone knows the truth? I have read that the bullet does not always act as anticipated upon impact, frequently just going through and through without too much internal damage.

Again, all of this was read on the internet and I trust this about as much as national media. I figured some of you folks would have direct service experience about the realities of using this ammunition and I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Neil M.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'd point out that no matter what the topic, at least 40% of the affected population is going to be unhappy with the status quo and want something different.

IE: Police departments issue .40 S&W but half the officers would rather have .45 ACP or 9mm......

The US Supreme Court affirms individual's right to keep and bear arms.... 4 out of 9 justices disagree.... All of the BradyBunch disagree.... Most of Chicago and California's politicians disagree.....

The military chooses and issues rifles chambered in 5.56mm or .223 Rem. Some of the guys would much rather be issued .50 BMG because of it's superior stopping power. Others want .308 win because it works better than 5.56.... Others still want some other new fangled round simply because it's new.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "The military" is rather happy with it.

Know how I know?

Because they still use it. In MASSIVE quantities. And no plans to stop.

[opinion hat] I think that they are indeed realizing some of the shortcomings of the 5.56/.223 round in A) the urban combat situations going on, and B) the distance/uphill stuff going on in A-stan.

-J-

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    It's all about shot placement. You're not going to kill anyone by nipping them in the fat of their arm if you have a 5.56, 7.62, or .50 BMG. It's pretty easy for guys in theater to shoot someone, they don't go down, then they blame the weak little 5.56. Unfortunately, it means they didn't hit anything vital. A bigger round would have most likely done the same.

Agan_08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Salem/Muncie
    It's all about shot placement. You're not going to kill anyone by nipping them in the fat of their arm if you have a 5.56, 7.62, or .50 BMG. It's pretty easy for guys in theater to shoot someone, they don't go down, then they blame the weak little 5.56. Unfortunately, it means they didn't hit anything vital. A bigger round would have most likely done the same.

Couldn't have said it better. From what I've watched on military and firearm shows on TV and from what I've read, most of the damage that a 5.56 round inflicts is due to its tendency to tumble when it impacts. That is, it doesn't just go straight through a body, it rolls through it. Many military people say it causes huge amounts of damage with a center mass shot. That being said, bumping up to a slightly larger round wouldn't hurt anything. I think our military likes being able to place a weapon in a recruit's hand who has never fired a rifle before, and know that the 5.56 round is comfortable to shoot through the M-16.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    its a 55 grain .22 round. whats next, give our guys Red Ryder bb guns. bring back the .308.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    5.56 rounds were called the Meat Ax in the History Chanel about the M16. I think it's good enough round for most application on enemy human targets.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    i personally think the 556 can do the job of putting a guy down. also, while in iraq, a friend shot a terrorist through the brain and we left him lay in the street. 10 or so hours later, he sat up and asked for water. the 556 is maybe not the best round for our troops. but it can still kill somebody deader than a bucket of hammers. the 762 nato (308 win) is a great round in that it can still kill even after penetrating light cover. that's why i wish uncle sam would have given me something in 762 nato instead of 556 nato or 762x39. my two cents.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    One of the big drawbacks to the ammo the military uses in any caliber is that it is a FMJ bullet. Talk to anyone who hunts, they will not pick a FMJ over some type of expanding bullet. It is all political. The expanding bullets do too much damage for the politicians. That said, I agree 100% with the shot placement comment. If you are just going to spray bullets, you better carry a mini gun!:ar15:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    while in iraq, a friend shot a terrorist through the brain and we left him lay in the street. 10 or so hours later, he sat up and asked for water.

WOW, even though you have to grudgingly give some appreciation for his will to live, hopefully in the long run he got to see first hand that it wasn't true about the 77 virgin thing.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    its a 55 grain .22 round. whats next, give our guys Red Ryder bb guns. bring back the .308.

The standard issue ammo, the M855 round, is actually 62 grains.

I've heard mixed reviews on how it performs in combat but I'll defer to the guys with the CIBs on that 'cause I was never in combat.

I have heard good things about the 77gr MK262 round though.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    As some of you already know, I am NOT a fan of the 556 nato round at all, nor the AR/M16 platform. I would love to see something in 308, replacing the current issued weapon. I have also heard several first hand account stories of the round simply not having enough stopping power. here are a lot of 556 and AR platform horror stories floatig around.

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    One of the big drawbacks to the ammo the military uses in any caliber is that it is a FMJ bullet. Talk to anyone who hunts, they will not pick a FMJ over some type of expanding bullet. It is all political. The expanding bullets do too much damage for the politicians. That said, I agree 100% with the shot placement comment. If you are just going to spray bullets, you better carry a mini gun!:ar15:
    :+1: Regardless of the caliber if it does not expand it is going to do less damage than something of the same caliber that does expand. Though I do believe the politicians do not want the hollow points, I seem to remember that the Geneva convention said something about not using hollow points.

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    As some of you already know, I am NOT a fan of the 556 nato round at all, nor the AR/M16 platform. I would love to see something in 308, replacing the current issued weapon. I have also heard several first hand account stories of the round simply not having enough stopping power. here are a lot of 556 and AR platform horror stories floatig around.

Does this include the AR-10 which was originally designed for the 7.62 NATO?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    For the detail-oriented among us, here's a 109 page article on .223 ammo...it's history, ballistics, supporters, and detractors.

http://www.razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-oracle/AR15_com_Ammo_Oracle_Mirror.htm#backyard

Enjoy! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom