• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    I can relate ... mine look right past the 22's and focus on the Wilson's on the top shelf.

However, once they got some range time on the single six and the charger 10-22s - they fell in love with them. Now the next problem -- I can't keep them loaded fast enough to stay up with them. Even with the Butler Creek 22 loader for the 10-22 mags.

They really enjoy the single action shooting the steel down range.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Ruger

I can't say I wouldn't have said the same thing at his age. He just likes a different type of gun and probably has sentimental value to those and not the Ruger. He's probably bragged to all his friends about how cool the Glock and XD are. If he's like most kids he's probably told his friends they are practically his already, lol. I'd save the Ruger and prepare to pass that on to your Grandson.

Really cool gift you offered him though. I'm sure as he matures he'll become interested in the Ruger. Then you can tell him no and have some fun with it.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Hey at least he still has good taste in finer firearms lol.

This! However I'm jealous in the fact that my older brother has my dad's hunting shotgun that he got when he was a young man.

I just have firearms to pass on to my kids, but only one of them is into anything like that. (all girls) I know I know, my fault...sorta, I've tried to take them hunting and fishing with me, have one that could give to poops about any of it and then my twins split, one wants to fish the other wants to hunt...

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Yeah, I'd imagine it's because he's 12. He and his friends probably play and talk about Call of Duty, so what he REALLY want's is probably a Desert Eagle. Give it time and let him grow up a little bit. Explain it to him again closer to time. Kids at that age want to be able to tell their friends they have a real life COD gun. Trust me. I have to do "in the field" projects for school where I teach middle school/high school kids. That's pretty much all they talk about.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The only reason my son would want any of my guns is to sell them. He and his wife are 100% anti-gun and are constantly explaining to their children that guns are bad.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    Thought I would pass down a Ruger single six convertible to my son like my dad did when I was young. When I was about 12, my dad told me that he would give me this Ruger as a gift after I graduated high school. Well, my son is also 12 now, and I just recently told him the same. He just gave a little smile and his eyes immediately went to my safe door and glanced things over and said that my XD-45 or a Glock would make a better gift. WTF ? ? ? Don't kids now days have any sentimental values ? LOL

Haha he may not appreciate the type of gun, but I bet he is still glad he has a dad thats giving him one. That was the one thing I missed out on as a kid. My father is very anti-gun so that was never a possibility in my house. I'm 22 and just purchased and fired my first firearm less than 6 months ago lol

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'd love to have a gun from my dad, but seeing as I'll inherit over half of his later on, it all works out.

On a slightly side note on appreciating stuff like that, my most prized book is a Library of Indiana Classics edition of The Bears of Blue River that dad gave me when I was 6, after proving I could read it by reading out loud from the copy HIS dad gave him when he was a kid. He still has his, I still have mine, and I've already bought a copy for my son.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I whole heartedly agree that, in time, your son will know the value, both sentimental and otherwise, of such a fine firearm. Just be patient....

When I was 17, my Dad told me that one day, his guns were to be passed on to me. Though not many, there are two that I have been attached to since I was very young.
    One is my Great Grandfather's Stevens single shot youth model .22 LR. It sat on our fireplace mantel. Though not intrinsically valuable, it still holds a special place in my memory.
    #2 is Dad S&W .38 Police Special that he carried as his duty side arm. This is the pistol I learned to shoot with, so it goes without saying that it has quite a bit of importance to me.

BTW: I'm 46 and still waiting for them to be passed down....LOL :popcorn:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'd love to have a gun from my dad, but seeing as I'll inherit over half of his later on, it all works out.

On a slightly side note on appreciating stuff like that, my most prized book is a Library of Indiana Classics edition of The Bears of Blue River that dad gave me when I was 6, after proving I could read it by reading out loud from the copy HIS dad gave him when he was a kid. He still has his, I still have mine, and I've already bought a copy for my son.

Should be required reading in every school.
    Same here.

DaDowd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Muncie, In
    Kids really seem to gravitate to what they see on tv any more. You dont see to many revolvers. Everyone wants to be a "gangster" and has to have the semi-auto.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    One of my 11 y/o son's prize possessions is his old Sears Model 1 single shot .22. He loves the fact that my Mom gave it to Dad as a wedding present, then i inherited it when Dad was killed, and now it's his. Seems to float his boat that it's on it's 3rd generation of Williams men. He's already talking about how neat it will be to pass it on to his kid and teaching him/her to shoot with it when the time comes.

Hope he still likes it as much next week. His birthday was this week, and he doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a new Marlin 795 come Monday for his birthday present. Don't want the old girl to get too worn out and deny him the pleasure of passing it down LOL. She'll still hold an inch at 50 yards.

harleyrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Mooresville
    I'll take it! It would look nice next the Single-Six Convertible in stainless that I have had for the last 25 years.

Yes kids don't think the same way we did back in the day. That may or may not be a good thing. :rolleyes:

HR

Top Bottom