• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I get so aggravated when I open a thread titled like ( A brand VS B brand). And then it never fails someone bashes one brand or the other no matter if it's a fire arm, knife, ammo ect. And most of the time it was their cousin's uncle's sister's brother who bought one of them and the first time using it it it Completly falls apart, or blows up. so the label that brand junk and from that day on and bash it to death every chance they get.

Come on, we all know that nothing is perfect and things happen. As long we continue to manufacture mechanical goods, there are going to be defects.

Example: I was reading a thread today and someone was bashing marlin lever guns. Quote " the first time I shot it, the firing pin fell out of the back of the gun. " come on. I don't think it is even possible for this to happen. I've seen firing pins break, but fall out??

I personally bought a NEW higher end 1911 and in my first time to the range with it, the extracter broke after about 20 rounds and therefor would not pull the spent cases out of the chamber. customer service fixed it and all was good. I could have starting bashing the brad, but im grown up enough to know that $@#+ happens and it can be fixed.

Anyone else get tired of people bashing your favorite brands because of one bad experience? And every chance they get, they try to turn others away form them as well with their far fetched stories.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's most often frustration after someone spends hundreds/thousands of $ on a long anticipated item and it does not live up to expectations.

And understood defects occur and nothing is perfect, but the thousands that they manufacture don't matter to the person with the one that broke.

I also agree though that there are 2 parts to this. Does the item deliver, but often more importantly, how does the manufacturer/vendor handle it when there is an issue.

I personally like to hear good and bad reviews to help me with research on particular items, and I like to hear the entire story.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    GlockTaurusS&WMossbergRugerMarlinRockIslandSigSauerWaltherSpringfieldKelTec sucks. Love them Hi-Points, though.
    I don't agree with your order of disapproval, you left a few out and I could certainly see dropping one or two from the list and adding others but overall, yeah, Love them Hi-points! (do I really need to use purple here?)

Generally speaking, I don't want to be shot with any brand of gun, not even in the A**!

PS it occurs to me that this thread is really about the OP trying to justify his purchase of a POS 1911.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think this whole brand bashing is pretty new. Hanging around and shooting leagues in the late 60's AND 70's, there were a lot fewer brands and models. Smith and Wessons, Colts and "guv models" ruled the pistol range. No one made fun of the guy that only had a break top H&R. Anytime someone brought something different the others would gather around and look at it, truly happy the guy had something new to play with. The next question was "how does it shoot". If the guy only made holes in the black on a standard bullseye target, everyone would show appreciation. If a guys pistol was acting up during a match, someone would always loan his own firearm so the guy could still turn in a score. The attitude was " I want to beat you, but only if I beat you fair and square". I still am glad when someone gets something they like, even if it does not interest me at all. That is part of the joy of being an American, we are free to make choices. This whole "your brand sucks" banter is not needed and not healthy for the good of the sport.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Agreed. Sometimes it sucks to listen to or read. But, I take it with a grain of salt. They are biased due to 1 bad experience or story. i would rather listen to just the story without the hate so that I can decipher whether or not it is worth any value.

We all know Glocks suck, but I like them. I didn't change my mind because someones brothers roommates friends uncles coworker had a bad experience. Unfortunately, too many people let anger get in the way of what could be a coherent thought.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    the late 60's AND 70's, No one made fun of the guy that only had a break top H&R.
    They did at the Trap clubs where ATA shooters practiced. Ithaca, Mossberg and others as well but that was and still is the world of Trap.

The internet cafe has taken the place of the real gun clubs, club house and parking lot. How many kids today have worked at a real club or spent the entire day at one? I heard and learned so much just by sitting between rounds of working the pads and drinking a Coke. Not just shotguns either, any type of guns. My boss probably owned hundreds if not a thousand guns.

Civil discourse was always going on but if you were a rude prick, in the end, it was the real world and someone would stop it. We also always had time for the Old guy who just wanted to shoot a round or two of trap, no matter how slow or feeble he may have become.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    So you are against manufacturer bashing, but ok with model bashing?
    No, I am against purple because it makes it too easy for people to sit on their a**es and not think "is this humor or real?" I am Pro going to real gun clubs.

I don't give a crap what people think on the internet, it goes right along with this concept I learned very young, while I was beating people and taking their money, at age 14, sometimes with their own guns. (For the record when minimum wage was $2 per hour and I could make $30 to $100 in 15 minutes of shooting, I was very focused.)

Kids are GREAT shooters, because they have no clue they should not be able to make that shot with that gun. Teach them the mechanics of shooting and they just do it. Then the adults come along and cloud their minds with expert opinions.

It is good to remember this when training any new shooter, kid or adult. Be it a kid or a novice shooter of any kind, this is the crap that happens unabashed on the internet cafe lounge gun club.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    PS it occurs to me that this thread is really about the OP trying to justify his purchase of a POS 1911.

you couldn't be more wrong, I loved that gun. Unfortunately, I had to sell it when times were financially unstable for me and my family, and food and a roof were more important.

I don't know why people think they need to make jokes about every thread that they do not agree with. I guess that shows their maturity level.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    you couldn't be more wrong, I loved that gun. Unfortunately, I had to sell it when times were financially unstable for me and my family, and food and a roof were more important.

I don't know why people think they need to make jokes about every thread that they do not agree with. I guess that shows their maturity level.
    You didn't say you sold it, you said you fixed it.

I agree with your post. I refuse to use a lot of purple to hand feed you kids. That is lazy.

What good does it do to **** up a rope? This stuff has always gone on. In my library, I have articles from the 1930's of people arguing about the SAME shotgun voodoo and BS you see resurected today and physics never change, not ever.

I worked in a number of clubs in the 70's and they did it on every subject, caliber, type of gun or brand. Winchester Model 12 vs anything. Revolver vs auto. et al.

The internet makes it worse because it is not FTF. At my age we never used terms like FTF. When I was young, everything was FTF and THAT was where the sage advice came from. At best, the internet is a Chilton's manual. The Man who shows you how to read that manual and use those tools is who counts. Not the thousands of dipsh**s on the net.

When a guys says I read it in a book or I saw it on the interent, walk away.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The break top H&R I mentioned was a .22 revolver, but that was just an example as that is what the neighbor boy shot.

Zoub, maybe the face to face thing is the difference. No one would tolerate a rude, nasty person face to face. The internet has very little check and balance for un- manly behavior. I am also a motorcyclist. A few years ago a keyboard warrior kept trying to start an internet fight with me, I still have not figured out why. He was actually threatning me and all that other silly non sense. As good luck would have it, I actually got to meet him face to face at a large rally where the site participants were meeting around the barbeque tent. As gentle manly as I could, I introduced myself to the coward, and extended an invitation for him to attempt to teach me a thing or two. Eyeball to eyeball, with no internet cable to protect him, he backed away like a little child, looking for someone to hide behind. Since this was in the presence of all the others, the humiliation toned down his ugly posting style. He ended up fadding away. Had this all been face to face, his foolish attitude would have been taken care of months earier. I have also shot trap, but well known friends kidding each other is not the same as attacking and being nasty to new guests and strangers. My attitude will still always be "congratulations on your new gun, how does it shoot?, I'm happy for you!"

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    You didn't say you sold it, you said you fixed it.

I agree with your post. I refuse to use a lot of purple to hand feed you kids. That is lazy.

What good does it do to **** up a rope? This stuff has always gone on. In my library, I have articles from the 1930's of people arguing about the SAME shotgun voodoo and BS you see resurected today and physics never change, not ever.

I worked in a number of clubs in the 70's and they did it on every subject, caliber, type of gun or brand. Winchester Model 12 vs anything. Revolver vs auto. et al.

The internet makes it worse because it is not FTF. At my age we never used terms like FTF. When I was young, everything was FTF and THAT was where the sage advice came from. At best, the internet is a Chilton's manual. The Man who shows you how to read that manual and use those tools is who counts. Not the thousands of dipsh**s on the net.

When a guys says I read it in a book or I saw it on the interent, walk away.

What difference does it make if I sold it or still had it? Just curious? It was just an example of me putting out good money and being let down, without bashing that gun manufacture because I know things break and they always will. And they can be fixed.

And I agree Completley with your thoughts on the yahoos on the net. I guess I didn't look at it that way until you pointed it out. I kind of thought of INGO as a group of friends that talk on the forum when we cannot be in the same place to be FTF. But realistically it is not that way. I have made alot of friends on here.

I love sitting FTF with an older, wiser, person who has been around way before I ever existed and shooting the breeze and listening to stories, and listening to their experiences good and bad.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I get so aggravated when I open a thread titled like ( A brand VS B brand). And then it never fails someone bashes one brand or the other no matter if it's a fire arm, knife, ammo ect. And most of the time it was their cousin's uncle's sister's brother who bought one of them and the first time using it it it Completly falls apart, or blows up. so the label that brand junk and from that day on and bash it to death every chance they get.

Come on, we all know that nothing is perfect and things happen. As long we continue to manufacture mechanical goods, there are going to be defects.

Example: I was reading a thread today and someone was bashing marlin lever guns. Quote " the first time I shot it, the firing pin fell out of the back of the gun. " come on. I don't think it is even possible for this to happen. I've seen firing pins break, but fall out??

I personally bought a NEW higher end 1911 and in my first time to the range with it, the extracter broke after about 20 rounds and therefor would not pull the spent cases out of the chamber. customer service fixed it and all was good. I could have starting bashing the brad, but im grown up enough to know that $@#+ happens and it can be fixed.

Anyone else get tired of people bashing your favorite brands because of one bad experience? And every chance they get, they try to turn others away form them as well with their far fetched stories.

People gotta make themselves feel good about what they buy or like (even if they could never afford it). Personally, I like hearing the good and bad about a product so that I can weigh pros/cons before a purchase but if review or whatever seems more like constant complaining (at times before contacting the manufacturer) I simply move on.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Brand bashing has become prevalent because of the internet and more so because the level of quality that most manufacturers are putting out now has really gotten absurd compared to 10 to 15 years ago. If it bothers anyone to see and hear all of this bashing the only thing I can tell you don't read internet forums. Because that's what lots of people do on forums after they get screwed by some company. But a lot of the bashers just don't really know what they're talking about. Like "I bought a Hi Point or a Jennings or a Bryco or a Jimenez and it sucks". Duh. One make you hear over and over is Kimber. And in my opinion they deserve the most of the bashing they're getting. The first production models of 1911s Kimber produced were like what Wilson Combat was producing. It shocked the entire 1911 industry, they were that good. Sadly within 5 or 6 years quality began to slip until now they're building cheap mass produced 1911s that "look" like the old ones but don't even begin to compare to the quality standard they set back in 95. And only Kimber can fix this problem. But once the accountants and the bean counters come in and take over it's all about units of production and volume sales and mass marketing. I've seen this happen over and over to a lot of old name brands that used to demand respect in their industry.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I grew up pre internet, and I don't look to the "freedom" the internet provides for "privacy". I always figure these are people I might meet IRL, and I don't really want them to meet me expecting me to be an *******. I'm not really that way, nor do I play it on television. Just be yourself.

Top Bottom