• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Brand "bashing" has been around forever. You can find it in any industry.

Ford or Chevy? Canon or Nikon? Mac or PC?

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    i think most the brand bashing goes on in the semi-anonymous world of the internet. I find a lot a folks shoot their mouths off on the internet when if they actually stood toe to toe with you they would use a little more politics/manners when expressing an opinion.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've seen this go on frequently on a brand-specific forum that I belong to (diamondbacktalk.com). For those not familiar with Diamondback, they're a fairly new company and right now only make 2 pocket guns - the DB380 (their first) and the DB9. As a new company, they've had their share of teething pains with these little guns, but there are guys on there that will get one with problems and just launch into a tirade about what a POS the gun is, etc., when instead they could take the time to read through the threads, find other folks that have experienced similar issues and what they did to resolve them. Resolutions range from a little extra break-in and "fluff and buff" to sending the gun back to DB for repair/replacement. Diamondback even has a representative of the company that frequents the site (try finding that on a S&W or Glock forum) and their customer service is second to none in my experience.

Some of the more reasonable forum members (of which I consider myself one), have discussed this phenomenon and agree that in these brand-specific forums especially, it can seem like almost everyone is unhappy with the (insert brand name here), simply because the b!tching gets distilled down into one spot, and also because people that are happy with their gun aren't as likely to get on the internet and extol the virtues of it.

I think that there is a lot of value to internet forums as a means of communication and information gathering, but just as in real life, you have to take the time to "listen" as much as you "talk" to get to it. Just my :twocents:.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I get so aggravated when I open a thread titled like ( A brand VS B brand). And then it never fails someone bashes one brand or the other no matter if it's a fire arm, knife, ammo ect. And most of the time it was their cousin's uncle's sister's brother who bought one of them and the first time using it it it Completly falls apart, or blows up. so the label that brand junk and from that day on and bash it to death every chance they get.

Come on, we all know that nothing is perfect and things happen. As long we continue to manufacture mechanical goods, there are going to be defects.

Example: I was reading a thread today and someone was bashing marlin lever guns. Quote " the first time I shot it, the firing pin fell out of the back of the gun. " come on. I don't think it is even possible for this to happen. I've seen firing pins break, but fall out??

I personally bought a NEW higher end 1911 and in my first time to the range with it, the extracter broke after about 20 rounds and therefor would not pull the spent cases out of the chamber. customer service fixed it and all was good. I could have starting bashing the brad, but im grown up enough to know that $@#+ happens and it can be fixed.

Anyone else get tired of people bashing your favorite brands because of one bad experience? And every chance they get, they try to turn others away form them as well with their far fetched stories.

In reading your post the first time I thought you were speaking about posting about a bad experience and drawing conclusions from that single experience.

After reading this a bit more it seems to me you are talking more about people being completely biased toward a particular brand while putting down all others (basic fanboyism).

That is something I don't really like. If someone has a bad experience, post it. If you have a good one, post it. But I agree, I don't like people who put forth strongly biased opinions with no real experience with a particular product.

The folks that say someone's experience can't possibly have happened because a particular brand never has an issue are as annoying as those that constantly bash something.

For the most part, I try not to jump into the bashing threads. I just move on.

I think that there is a lot of value to internet forums as a means of communication and information gathering, but just as in real life, you have to take the time to "listen" as much as you "talk" to get to it. Just my :twocents:.

Words of wisdom!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I get so aggravated when I open a thread titled like ( A brand VS B brand). And then it never fails someone bashes one brand or the other no matter if it's a fire arm, knife, ammo ect. And most of the time it was their cousin's uncle's sister's brother who bought one of them and the first time using it it it Completly falls apart, or blows up. so the label that brand junk and from that day on and bash it to death every chance they get.

Come on, we all know that nothing is perfect and things happen. As long we continue to manufacture mechanical goods, there are going to be defects.

Example: I was reading a thread today and someone was bashing marlin lever guns. Quote " the first time I shot it, the firing pin fell out of the back of the gun. " come on. I don't think it is even possible for this to happen. I've seen firing pins break, but fall out??

I personally bought a NEW higher end 1911 and in my first time to the range with it, the extracter broke after about 20 rounds and therefor would not pull the spent cases out of the chamber. customer service fixed it and all was good. I could have starting bashing the brad, but im grown up enough to know that $@#+ happens and it can be fixed.

Anyone else get tired of people bashing your favorite brands because of one bad experience? And every chance they get, they try to turn others away form them as well with their far fetched stories.
    Which 1911 high end piece of :poop: did the extractor break:D

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Which 1911 high end piece of :poop: did the extractor break:D

Now, now.......

It was a Para Ordnance Slim Hawg. And I said higher end, not high end. Wich was kind of funny to me because Para advertises as having the strongest extractors in the 1911 market. I loved that gun, and hope to get another one soon.

Why do you ask? So you can bash Para now and tell me that I bought a piece of crap, and wasted my money.

garyindiane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Bright, Dearborn County
    I love how there is a whole thread against manufacture bashing, and I have read hi-point is ok to bash about 5 times. The irony as astounding. I guess it's only a issue if someone bashes a expensive firearm.

By the way my hi-point functions just fine :D
    The internet is a funny place

-Gary

garyindiane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Bright, Dearborn County
    There are two kinds of gun snobs: those who put down others for having cheap guns, and those who put down others for having expensive guns. ;)

You are correct Sir. I am a member of Hi-point forums. There is a lot of glock hate over there sometimes. Funny how that works.

I love all firearms. I would own one or more of each if I could. Even the guns that other people say are trash.

We all have firearm preferances. No need to bash any manufacture or person because you do not approve of their purchase. They most likely don't care what you think anyway.

Advice and first hand experiance is usually welcomed, But bandwagon bashing is just childish.

We are all here because we love guns. :ingo:

-Gary

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You are correct Sir. I am a member of Hi-point forums. There is a lot of glock hate over there sometimes. Funny how that works.

I love all firearms. I would own one or more of each if I could. Even the guns that other people say are trash.

We all have firearm preferances. No need to bash any manufacture or person because you do not approve of their purchase. They most likely don't care what you think anyway.

Advice and first hand experiance is usually welcomed, But bandwagon bashing is just childish.

We are all here because we love guns. :ingo:

-Gary

Even this one? ;)
    Staple-Gun-zipgun-improvised-weapon.jpg

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    In reading your post the first time I thought you were speaking about posting about a bad experience and drawing conclusions from that single experience.

This is exetcly what I ment in my OP. With the addition of that person trying to convince others not to buy that brand because of their one experiance. The thread has kinda gotten away though so I just went with it. Lol

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    And for the highpoint guys, I have absolutely nothing against them. Just like glocks. I have never owned either simply because I do not like the look of either. I have joined in on several threads making fun of them for their looks but that is all in fun.

The day that the guns that I like the look of let me down as far as reliability, or I cannot afford to buy them, I have no problem giving the others a try.

Top Bottom