• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    No..it comes from the same country as those $250 Spyderco's...Taiwan.

Cold Steel haters will come up with things like knife breakage when abused...well I can break any knife if I abuse it. Then they say CS rips off designs...well trust me it that was true they would be getting sued for it just a Benchmade got sued. They down rated the steels even tho quite a few high end makers use the same steels.

It just boils down to some folks don't like the knives...all I can say is don't buy them. I like some of them...others I don't. I own a few and have never had a problem but then when I need a hammer I use a hammer...not a knife.

But let's look at one of my Spydercos...

salsa1.jpg

The Spyderco Salsa

AUS-8 steel
    Aluminum scales
    nothing special in the design
    doesn't allow for tip/up tip/down
    made in Taiwan
    Price $90

WOW! Must be a piece of cheap junk....

what high end makers are using AUS8? and FTR I would never buy the salsa as that follows my equation with cold steel. again your putting words in my mouth did I say all cold steel was junk? NO I said the materials they use should in no way command the price they sell them for, I also feel the same way about strider. you know for not being a CS fanboy you sure go out of your way to defend them.

SOG is in the same boat as CS these days, far overpriced for what they are.(mainly fixed blades in their case)

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    fatass "knife experts"

John Fitch ABS Cutting Competition Winner Custom Knives at Knife Art

Not quite sure what that has to do with anything.

Here's another year where Big John won.

Kings of Blade Swing

I actually know the second place winner Rob Rossdeutscher and joined him on a couple rendezvous and a hammer in. He beat out everyone but John in the competition using a knife he made from a 99 cent chinese crowbar he picked up at a hardware store. With few exceptions, knife performance is 20% steel, 80% heat treat. Cold Steel got the heat treat right with the models I have that I previously noted I like.

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I guess I must be some kind of ignorant moron since I happen to like the cold steel knives that I have. They might have cost a little too much, but I do like them. I have found them functional, but have not tried to use them as a pry bar or anything else that a knife was not intended to be used for. I have never had to deal with the DPMS customer service department either, but I also like my two DPMS rifles even though some of you might think that I was mislead into buying such junky pieces of trash weapons. I guess that I will just have to wait until SHTF day when my CS knives all break and my DPMS weapons both malfunction to come begging to borrow some of your equipment which you acquired because you were much better informed and know better quality when you see it. I will humbly and willingly eat some crow put up with a few "I told you sos" so that I might continue to survive. On second thought, I had just better toss my CS knives and DPMS rifles into the pond behind my apartment and go out and buy the brands that the experts all know to be the top of the line. No one bothered to trash the Mossberg 500s in this thread. I have never tried to chop down a tree with either of mine. I have to confess that was not the reason that I bought them many years ago.

lol i usually don't comment on these threads but you sure went over the top with this anology. nobody said anything like this.

basically what it boils down too is if you like them buy them. if you want something else buy something else, but put some research in to it and see what else is out there.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    what high end makers are using AUS8? and FTR I would never buy the salsa as that follows my equation with cold steel. again your putting words in my mouth did I say all cold steel was junk? NO I said the materials they use should in no way command the price they sell them for, I also feel the same way about strider. you know for not being a CS fanboy you sure go out of your way to defend them.

SOG is in the same boat as CS these days, far overpriced for what they are.(mainly fixed blades in their case)[/quote]

You might want to include all of the knife manufactures that have a cult like following, because once they reach that status...there is no argument that that their product is far over priced for what you are actually getting and this would include Busse, Microtech, and even Benchmade. It's simple, if they (knife manufactures) can command a certain price and get it, they will...... and a lot of it is not because of the design or materials that are being used, but rather the following and willingness of their customer base to spend their money on their product. Just a note: before anyone comes in here and starts bashing me for listing any of the above companies, I own quite a few of all of the manufactures that I have listed.....I'm willing to "overpay" to purchase their products just like the rest of you. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    As a person who invested thousands of dollars into equipment and materials and many, many hours into training with the intent of giving this profession of bladesmithing a go for actual income and then quickly discovering that I probably needed a real job and to make this a hobby let me make it very clear that there is no such thing as an over-priced knife. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Guys like Jerry Busse and Justin Gingrich were an inspiration to many of us (personally I was a little more Ed Fowler and Wayne Goddard but not matter) of where we wanted to take this and the higher the prices of their stuff go, the more likely that this may actually become a lucrative profession again and will attract talent that had to leave knifemaking in order to pay the bills. Higher production knife prices is generally a natural barometer to increase prices on custom knives. Now if we could just get e-bay to quit screwing up the market.....

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Hard to say CS knives are overpriced. They seem to sell well and CS seems to be doing fine, with the market setting their prices. They certainly aren't my cup of tea and their marketing doesn't appeal but they are not alone in catering to imagination over reality.

I have been buying knives from a custom maker for a number of years. His wares are more or less exactly the same today as they were at first, but his wait time and price have tripled. I'm left to buy or not buy at my discretion, and I choose to buy.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    the answer to this question is:

fanboyism.

and reverse fanboyism.

its what drives the internet train. in the end, support who you choose! its YOUR money. not mine, or theirs, or anyones elses but YOURS. but also KNOW WHO YOU ARE SUPPORTING. and don't believe everything you read on the internet. everyone has been wrong at some point, whether they know it or not. do the leg work. make the phone calls. make your own decisions. and if you don't want you decision questioned, don't ever ever EVER post on the internet!!!!!!

Top Bottom