• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have an old RIA double-stack 1911 that shoots ok in factory config, but the specs seem to be different than Colt specs.
    Got a colt 1991A1 slide with a Schuman comp barrel installed from E-bay back when you could get such things there.
    When I mate it with the RIA frame, the back of the slide hangs over the frame 1/8" or so, though the barrel seems to be locking up properly.
    Don't want to fire it this way though.

That is another issue with these. So many spec issues.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    i got a RIA 2011 tactical full rail. great gun, light and smoot trigger. factory sights are plain. i would lke to get fiber sights on it. factory mag is ok but had a couple FTF. got some combat wilson mags and havent had a issue yet.

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    I have only heard good things about RIA.. when compared to other lower price range 1911's i would choose one, and will be purchasing one in the near future.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    There's really nothing wrong with an RIA. They are consumer grade 1911s and to come in at that price point, they tend to have a lower set of tolerances they meet. For most guns, the tolerances stack in a way that lets them cancel each other out and they run fine. Occasionally, they produce one that has a tolerance stack that causes it to be less than reliable but Armscor is very good about making it right if you get a lemon. Their quality is on the rise and they are coming out with stuff nobody else does, like the 22TCM and an honest to goodness compact 1911 in 10mm.
    Not finding this on their website. A little help please?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not finding this on their website. A little help please?

I have not seen one advertised on their website yet either, but got to fondle one at their booth at the NRA Convention back in April. It was a railed compact with a 4 to 4.25 inch barrel. I'm hoping they produce it in a non-railed version as well, but the weight of the rail should help with keeping it controllable. I did not think to check to see if it had a ramped barrel, but am guessing that if it did, it would have caught my attention.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My "under the bed" gun is an RIA 1911 Compact. Shoots good, goes bang when the trigger is pulled, reasonably priced ($389 in 2010).

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    There was a picture of one floating around from the NRA convention. I too am eagerly awaiting them released into the wild.

I have not seen one advertised on their website yet either, but got to fondle one at their booth at the NRA Convention back in April. It was a railed compact with a 4 to 4.25 inch barrel. I'm hoping they produce it in a non-railed version as well, but the weight of the rail should help with keeping it controllable. I did not think to check to see if it had a ramped barrel, but am guessing that if it did, it would have caught my attention.

Ill admit, I am intrigued by this particular pistol...
    Dear Armscor: Please release a 10mm compact and take my money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    most people talkin stuff are the ones that pay 1200 for the custom 1911's and dont wanna feel ripped off...

I sold all my $1300 1911's. My $800 guns shoot just as well after I spend $400 in parts and hours of labor (love) on them.......:)
    It is a lot more satisfying this way.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    most people talkin stuff are the ones that pay 1200 for the custom 1911's and dont wanna feel ripped off...

I sold all my $1300 1911's. My $800 guns shoot just as well after I spend $400 in parts and hours of labor (love) on them.......:)
    It is a lot more satisfying this way.

I own both an Ed Brown and an RIA as well as a couple that fall somewhere between them and each is great in its own way. The workmanship in the Ed Brown is a thing of beauty. The sheer fun factor of wrenching on an RIA has brought more satisfaction than the dollars I spent on it would indicate. For carry, I generally choose one of the mid-level Sigs or Remington but you cannot knock any decent 1911. 1911s are not Glocks in that they beg to be understood at a deep level. The beauty of the 1911 is in the details. It's in the barrel fit and the way the thumb safety has been fit. An RIA represents a good starting point for learning how to fit parts to a 1911. My first thumb safety replacement was to an RIA as was my first successful checkering of a front strap. It was on an RIA that I practiced honing the sear on an Ed Brown jig and it was on an RIA that I first figured out how to replace a trigger.

When I disassemble a Glock, I look at the internals and think 'meh'. Nothing but a handful of stamped metal parts in a plastic shell. A skilled gunsmith can make a Glock trigger nice, but the function of a Glock is just not as interesting as a 1911. I'm not knocking Glocks. They are what they are and I'm actually carrying my G23 as I write this. I've tweaked a few but there is nowhere near the satisfaction of tweaking a 1911 in the stamped parts of a Glock.

Top Bottom