• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No trick question, Cedertop. Many of you got it and I was especially concerned about my finger being that close to the trigger during reloading. I'm not sure if this is what I normally do, but I'll be paying special attention from now on. That is the recipe for a fatal accident.

Keeping your muzzle on target doubles down on the safety aspect and speeds up the whole reloading process.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Que...I want to party with you, dude. And by party, I mean I'd love to get together and talk philosophy and guns. Thanks for the links in your signature. Those videos were 45 minutes that were well worth my time!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Picture taken from the right side rear........ The camera man should be standing directly in front for maximum picture angle.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Keeping your muzzle on target doubles down on the safety aspect and speeds up the whole reloading process.

Burl, I've never seen this done. How can you keep the muzzle on target during a reload, whether behind cover or not?

Picture taken from the right side rear........ The camera man should be standing directly in front for maximum picture angle.

Oh, we have some of those, too. :rockwoot:

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    finger too close to trigger....i dont think its a huge deal that ur dropping a mag with ammo in it

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    finger too close to trigger....i dont think its a huge deal that ur dropping a mag with ammo in it

Yeah, there are a couple of reasons to drop a mag with ammo in it. In this particular case, it was a training class and I believe we were practicing assessment and topping off.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    my :twocents: were what erice said. BTW I read an interesting article by Duane Thomas in the latest issue of Dillon's 'blue press'. He said that IHO it's faster to 1)drop the partial mag in your hand 2)pocket it 3)draw the new mag 4)reload. His rational is that your hand makes only one trip from pistol-to-belt-and back, instead of two. Likewise, odds are you won't drop a mag if you're only handling one at a time.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    my :twocents: were what erice said. BTW I read an interesting article by Duane Thomas in the latest issue of Dillon's 'blue press'. He said that IHO it's faster to 1)drop the partial mag in your hand 2)pocket it 3)draw the new mag 4)reload. His rational is that your hand makes only one trip from pistol-to-belt-and back, instead of two. Likewise, odds are you won't drop a mag if you're only handling one at a time.

I've never practiced or trained with anyone who taught me to keep a magazine. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I've just not done it.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    JMO, the reason for retaining a mag is 1)if it still has ammo in it 2)your EDC kit has a limited supply of ammo 3)there's a break in the fight and you're behind cover. USPSA strategy is another matter.
    30yrs ago in the IDF, we were trained that almost every reload was with retention. The rational was that you couldn't reload mags that you didn't have, and being in a squad or platoon, you had someone to cover you. Just keep your friends close

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Where is he keeping the muzzle on the target during the reload?

Not sure what bw is getting at. I teach it almost exactly like Vogel. You want to keep your muzzle roughly in line between your eyes and the target so it just flows back out there, but there is no way you can look your reload in and keep the muzzle pointed at the target.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    HE is dropping a mag with ammo in it. You always pocket that mag and never leave it for the other guys. Rookie.

From what i have been taught, the only tie you would drop a mag with ammo in it is during assessment and top off. You would retrieve the mag, but at that time there should be no immediate threat(s), so there wouldn't be any ammo to leave for the enemy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Where is he keeping the muzzle on the target during the reload?

Not sure what bw is getting at. I teach it almost exactly like Vogel. You want to keep your muzzle roughly in line between your eyes and the target so it just flows back out there, but there is no way you can look your reload in and keep the muzzle pointed at the target.

Yes, roughly on target. Your moving anyway, a little body english can keep your muzzle very close, if not directly on target. Imagine having to shoot your chambered round at anytime during your reload.
    No not the sights on target, but your muzzle can be. I don't get why you don't think you can look it in and do this?

As a general note, a lot people have a tendency to drop their gun and reload too low. If you are looking down, you cannot see the target/threat. This is a problem in itself, let alone that it takes longer to get the sights back on target.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

keeping it generally pointed at the target, not aiming at any particular point.

E.g. the muzzle only comes a few degrees up during the reload, and it doesn't come very far off the target on the horizontal plane.

ETA: A reload is effectively a target transition with some other stuff thrown in. The further the transition, the longer it takes. A 90 degree transition takes longer than a 30 degree transition. The idea is to minimize the unnecessary movement. If you only need to bring the gun 30 degrees offline, and 30 back, it's more efficient than 90 off and another 90 back.

[video=youtube;FPLnnb71J90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPLnnb71J90[/video]

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    keeping it generally pointed at the target, not aiming at any particular point.

E.g. the muzzle only comes a few degrees up during the reload, and it doesn't come very far off the target on the horizontal plane.

ETA: A reload is effectively a target transition with some other stuff thrown in. The further the transition, the longer it takes. A 90 degree transition takes longer than a 30 degree transition. The idea is to minimize the unnecessary movement. If you only need to bring the gun 30 degrees offline, and 30 back, it's more efficient than 90 off and another 90 back.

I'll incorporate this and see how it goes. As for looking down at the gun during the reload, as the person in the video does, what is your take on that?

Top Bottom