• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I wouldn't have opened the door a 2nd time. He'd be lucky to have me open it the 1st time. I don't tend to acknowledge folks knocking on my door unless I'm expecting company.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I had a stranger knock on my door several years ago. He took a big step back off the porch
    when I opened the door and the dog stuck her head out exclaiming "you got a dog in there". He was carrying a 12" kitchen knife behind his back that I saw as he was back peddling. I had a 357 that he never did see behind my leg. I think we both came to the same conclusion, he had knocked on the wrong door. I wonder how it would have turned out had he not seen the dog.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    That's why I carry on me until I put on night clothes. Even then, if the dogs sound the alarm I grab my gun before I go to the door.

I almost always carry when I am doing things outside my house so the neighbors and anyone passing by know not to come to my house looking for trouble. I may be a single woman now but I am anything but vulnerable. I just like to make sure others know that.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That's why I carry on me until I put on night clothes. Even then, if the dogs sound the alarm I grab my gun before I go to the door.

I almost always carry when I am doing things outside my house so the neighbors and anyone passing by know not to come to my house looking for trouble. I may be a single woman now but I am anything but vulnerable. I just like to make sure others know that.

:+1: I carry when I take the trash out to the curb, when I mow, pretty much everything. Some people call it being paranoid. I like to think of it as being prepared. There's no magic bubble around my house and yard that protects me from those who wish to do me harm

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I'm the same as the rest of you. IF I answer the door, it's with my 6 little friends beside me. If there's a knock on the door, Its not someone I know, as anyone I do know would call/text prior to coming over.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I had a stranger knock on my door several years ago. He took a big step back off the porch
    when I opened the door and the dog stuck her head out exclaiming "you got a dog in there". He was carrying a 12" kitchen knife behind his back that I saw as he was back peddling. I had a 357 that he never did see behind my leg. I think we both came to the same conclusion, he had knocked on the wrong door. I wonder how it would have turned out had he not seen the dog.

^^This. My dog (barking the whole way) gets to the door before I do. Any knock/door bell sets her off and I don't discourage it. She's sweet as can be but looks...unique...for around here (she's been accused of being a coyote or coyote mix) and has raised her hackles at people before.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is good policy. I am primarily questioning how the situation was handled after the door was closed the first time.

Its an open investigation, so I can't provide many details but the homeowner thought the situation could be resolved peacefully. It's not how I would have handled it, but it makes a lot more sense when you hear the story. Hopefully I can tell some more details later, but you'll just have to trust me on that for now.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Its an open investigation, so I can't provide many details but the homeowner thought the situation could be resolved peacefully. It's not how I would have handled it, but it makes a lot more sense when you hear the story. Hopefully I can tell some more details later, but you'll just have to trust me on that for now.

I look forward to hearing whatever you are able to tell us. I realize that news reports rarely tell the whole story.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    We have a large bay window right next to our front door. My SOP is to look out the window first to see who is knocking or ringing the door bell. If I do not recognize you the door does not open.

Top Bottom