• EDC Caliber

• Total voters

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I've gone back and forth on carry guns, currently Hornaday Critical Defense in 9mm.

Figure with today's modern hollowpoints, 15+1 and 17 in a spare mag will suffice.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Well the objective with self defense weapons is to STOP someone...it's really quite irrelevant if they live or die. The point is for them to STOP. A .22 is a great man-KILLER...but a terrible man-stopper. Same thing with ball ammo, .32, .380 and most .38 Special loads.

With all the fantastic and SMALL 9mm pistols out now I just can't see the point of going smaller/weaker.

I only post this because your quote on the .380

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Well the objective with self defense weapons is to STOP someone...it's really quite irrelevant if they live or die. The point is for them to STOP. A .22 is a great man-KILLER...but a terrible man-stopper. Same thing with ball ammo, .32, .380 and most .38 Special loads.

With all the fantastic and SMALL 9mm pistols out now I just can't see the point of going smaller/weaker.

I only post this because your quote on the .380

I'll only say this:

My only opposition and aversion to .380 is the price of ammunition. It's a smaller 9mm to be a bit vague, and it's TWICE the price. I don't understand it at ALL. With all the introductions of micro 380s and the likes, flooding the market, one would think supply should be ample enough to not merit these ridiculous prices.

I only chose that quote because I thought it was a great sig line, and I totally agree with it. That being said, I do not and will not own a .380 but, wouldn't want to be shot with one either ;)

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    My only opposition and aversion to .380 is the price of ammunition. It's a smaller 9mm to be a bit vague, and it's TWICE the price. I don't understand it at ALL.

My guess is that the prices are set by people whose job it is to figure out how they can make the most money. It seems as though .380 pistols have been doing very well in sales and, to take advantage of their popularity, ammo manufactures price accordingly. There may be a time when the .380 will fall out of fashion and you'd likely see prices fall more in line. Though, until then, they'll take advantage of the .380 gravy train. FWIW, this sort of marketing happens all the time.

Back to the thread: think I posted before ...I'm still carrying either the 40 S&W or 45 ACP.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    My guess is that the prices are set by people whose job it is to figure out how they can make the most money. It seems as though .380 pistols have been doing very well in sales and, to take advantage of their popularity, ammo manufactures price accordingly. There may be a time when the .380 will fall out of fashion and you'd likely see prices fall more in line. Though, until then, they'll take advantage of the .380 gravy train. FWIW, this sort of marketing happens all the time.

Back to the thread: think I posted before ...I'm still carrying either the 40 S&W or 45 ACP.

Yet, Parabellum is WIDELY used and manufactured by the droves...so why aren't they milking that for all it's worth?

vette3667

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    I like the extra rounds of 9mm and am also more confident about accuracy at an increased fire rate. I am strongly considering picking up something small in .380 for summer carry this year. Maybe a S&W Bodyguard.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    9mm for much the same reasons as everyone else using this round. I carry a full size P99 but I'm starting to get into the smaller 9s. Sig p938 looks interesting. Not much bigger than the p238.

vette3667

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    I should have added this before, My normal carry is my Springfield XD9 and I love it. It's slightly bigger then the glock but I like the look and it's been dead nuts accurate and reliable.

Top Bottom