• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    need to get some ammo for my mosberg bolt action slug gun. i had previously used 3 magnum slugs but have recently realized that it does nothing but hurt MORE. so i was going to move to a normal 2 3/4 sabot slug what is your recomendation for normal indiana deer hunting. ill probably sight in at 75 yards.

thanks

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I actually use Winchester Super X rifled slugs out of a smooth barrel pump but if I was going to use sabot slugs out of a rifled barrel I would use one of the two I listed above. According to the Remington Rep the Acutip is designed to expand on impact after only 5 yards. I have never tested it, but that is what they say.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    depends on your barrel if it is rifled most of the sabot slugs will work fine and harvest your deer. If it is a smooth bore then look at the nonsabot slugs the sabot may or may not shoot well but the non sabot slugs are designed for a smooth bore gun. my 2 cents

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Seen a lot of customers around the fall sight in their rifled bore shotguns, for over 6 years. Hornady SST, awesome for the price. As a note, get a cheaper sabot (like the Federal or similar) to get it close on paper, then final sight in with the Hornady's. Also, sight in close, then move it out for final adjusting. I see a lot of people get mad when they had the scope sighted in using a laser, put the target out at 50 yards, then try to "walk" in the fire (when they are not even on paper!) and run out of slugs quick. Also, it's expensive, but buy a bunch if you can. People think 5-10 slugs is good to go for a new sight in on a new scope. Doesn't work that way... lol

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    Dad always used Federal Premium Hydra-Shok for his, I had better luck with Lightfield in mine. He has a spare slug gun (for backup, friends, etc..) that shoots the Hornady SST's really well.

Slug guns are the same as any other gun. Each gun needs to be tried with diff kinds of ammo if you're actually looking to get the best accuracy.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    From a smoothbore, the Brenneke K.O.'s are very accurate.
    The Winchester BRI Slug is preferred for rifled barrels and is a popular long time favorite.

gfex_1008_ammoa.jpg

20gaslugs6.jpg

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Second vote for the Brenneke. Fantastic out of smooth bores and not so expensive.
    Realistically you should do test and just use whatever your particular gun does the best with.
    They will all knock a deer out!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I still have a few boxes of the Remington Solid Copper slugs. They shoot very accurate in a rifled slug barrel. Those 4 pedals on the nose break off when they hit tissue and keep going. That saved my hunt once when I shot a little bad, but one of those pedals broke free and tumbled through the heart, dropping the buck pretty fast.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Ive been using Remington Copper Solid Sabots 12ga 2 3/4" for about 13 years now. Ive lost count at how many deer ive put in the freezer with them. Longest shot was 130yds open sights. I havent touched the sights since i first sighted the barrel when new on my 1100 and 1187.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I've killed truck loads with 1oz winchester rifled slugs in my smooth bore. I use SST or buck hammers out of my rifled slug gun. The buck hammers kill faster the SST can take more time to kill and is less forgiving regarding shot placement.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hornady SST's and Lightfields. Ive found Lightfields to be some of the most accurate in any of the rifle guns Ive shot.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have had great luck with the Remington Buckhammer slugs. They are made for fully rifled barrels, but arent as expensive as the other options I have found. The deer I have hit with them drop without a thought, and leaving a neat hole in and out, without much excess meat damage. Acuracy for me in both a Remington 870 and Winchester have been excellent, along the lines of one hole 3-shot groups at 50 yards. I am sure that there are others that are just as good, or better, but these do the job without leaving anything to ask for, and when I can find them, are usually along the lines of $1.25 or so a shot, so they are a good bit cheaper than the other options out there.

Top Bottom