What's your favorite handgun for under $400?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyWhelan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I'm looking to buy my first handgun and don't have a lot of money to spend. Does anybody have an opinion (good or bad) about the Keltec PF-9 or P-11 or other recommendations in their price range? Thanks.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm looking to buy my first handgun and don't have a lot of money to spend. Does anybody have an opinion (good or bad) about the Keltec PF-9 or P-11 or other recommendations in their price range? Thanks.

Depends on what you want to use it for; range, carry or competition? Do you prefer polymer or steel. What guns have you shot that you liked or didn't like?

GuyWhelan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Depends on what you want to use it for; range, carry or competition? Do you prefer polymer or steel. What guns have you shot that you liked or didn't like?
    To answer your questions in order; I plan to carry, once I get some training with whatever it is that I purchase. Not sure on the polymer/steel question, but would guess polymer for a carry gun since it should be lighter. I've not shot much, growing up, my Dad had a 22 revolver that I shot quite a bit. Recently a friend of mine took me to the range and he had a .45 1911 and a .22 target pistol (with a scope). I'm looking for something that will be easily concealable, semi-auto and easy on the budget.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In order to save you money in the long run I recommend finding a range that has a good variety of rental guns and shooting as many as you can over the course of a few months. I would also recommend making friends with some INGO folks in your area. Most are more than willing to allow others to try out their guns. This may save you from buying the first thing you think you like and then being dissatisfied with it. The more you shoot before you buy the better off you will be. Find the gun you shoot best not the one that is the easiest to conceal. Concealability doesn't count for anything if when you need it you can't hit with it. Virtually any handgun can be concealed. Some are easier than others. A good belt and holster will allow you to more comfortably carry a bigger, i.e. easier to shoot well, gun.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I have owned 2 SCCY cpx's. They are dependable, not very accurate but inexpensive(I paid less than 200)and
    they are American made. Their customer service is VERY good.

I don't have a SCCY now, but I do have a Canik Shark C. A very high quality CZ clone. Super accurate, good trigger and just fun to shoot.
    Some people don't like the fact that they have a manual safety (no decocker), but you can carry them condition 1.

I also have a Bulgarian Makarov and a CZ70, both dependable and under 400.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    The Sccy is a great gun for the money. I had never heard of them before but they make a great product. I would love to be able to get my hands on the kel ted pmr-30 which are in that range but I can't find one anywhere.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've owned a Taurus 85 that was under $400. Very solid gun. Carried it as back up for many years. Sold that to a friend then with that money I bought a 642. (trigger on the 642 is much nicer) My actual money into the deal was under $400.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    Zastava PAP M92PV 7.62x39mm! $399 from J&G'S, I've never had a pistol shoot 2" groups at 50yds till I got one. What it lacks in concealability and practicality it sure makes up for in raw power and capacity lol.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I really like my Ruger SR22. I think I paid $289 for it when they first came out.
    Eats everything, accurate, easy to shoot, great teaching tool.

Can't wait to get a Walther CCP when they come out this summer.
    MSRP is $469, but it will probably sell for $399-ish from the bigger gun shops.

Top Bottom