What's YOUR favorite self-defense/firearms myth??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "If you do/have X the prosecutor will latch on to it and crucify you in front of a jury."

x:
    Carry hollow points
    Lighten trigger
    Carry in a drop leg holster
    Have an extra magazine
    Shoot more than once

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I keep thinking of more...

AR-15's should never be used for home defense because the round will penetrate your walls and kill your neighbors.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    So I see a couple of you saying birdshot is NOT effective for personal defense?!?!?! I guess if you are shooting outside at distance without a choke it may NOT be effective. I would sugest you read the book STRESSFIRE 2 by MASSAD AYOOB. If you have seen ER proof that birdshot is not an effective round for personal defense I would like to know the specifics on these wounds ie range at which the perp was hit, mldel and make of shotgun, barrel length, choke, size of shot/ diameter and measure by weight, how many rounds were fired and made contact.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So I see a couple of you saying birdshot is NOT effective for personal defense?!?!?! I guess if you are shooting outside at distance without a choke it may NOT be effective. I would sugest you read the book STRESSFIRE 2 by MASSAD AYOOB. If you have seen ER proof that birdshot is not an effective round for personal defense I would like to know the specifics on these wounds ie range at which the perp was hit, mldel and make of shotgun, barrel length, choke, size of shot/ diameter and measure by weight, how many rounds were fired and made contact.

I have, and its not. My most recent bird-shot victim had a leg full of it. Maximum penetration was less than an inch. He was shot from perhaps 15' away. Unknown shotgun, likely a single shot.

Near contact distance, sure, you can make a ragged hole. It rapidly loses steam, though.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    "The .40SW runs at higher pressure than a 9mm and the pistol won't last as long"

Not.

When FN first made the .40 HiPower, using the standard HiPower forged frames, they cracked badly. Every prototype cracked. They ended up having to use thicker, cast frames in order to prevent the cracking.

Top Bottom