What's your preference? SA, SA/DA, or DA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cgraydotcom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2014
    Warsaw
    I am an avid fan of the 1911. I favor the single action trigger. I also like the look and feel of say, a Beretta 92FS, but don't care for the initial double action trigger pull. Do any of you that favor the 1911 as well, tend to stay with that style? I understand the concept of the longer trigger pull, but I don't carry yet. So for me, I don't need the few more brain pulses to decide whether to shoot. So I would like some feedback from those that favor one or the other. And if I should become more experienced with the double action.

FreeFAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I like SA and DA/SA. My first handgun was a P226, and for carry guns I have always felt more comfortable with a long first pull. Of you shoot enough, it is not a big deal to get used to it. That said, there is nothing unsafe about a 1911 for carry.

I personally cannot stand DAO guns with their long trigger pulls. However, certainly there are plenty who have proven they can be run very effectively. Best thing you can do is try to master one or two guns and stay proficient. I still carry a DA/SA HK45 in the cold months, and I am just transitioning to a striker fired gun for warmer weather. Both in .45.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like the DA/SA guns. I liked the 1911, too. My department doesn't allow SAO, and I moaned and gnashed teeth about that for many years. I've come to appreciate the DA/SA trigger, though. I'll just post this link, as there's no need to reinvent the wheel and he says it better than I can.

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » In Defense of the Traditional Double Action

Then, I'll post these:

7yrds, 5 shots, no timer, verifying sights properly installed and aligned, Sig P226, the square is 1" x 1".

20150817_105648_zps9168502d.jpg

P229s 2" circle drill, 20 shots per circle, distances on target.

P8070005_zpsrxmivzcm.jpg

...and 4 corners drill, (draw, shoot at each circle once, reholster, 6x in different orders)

20150814_101024_zpsff1ae1e6.jpg

If you're willing to put a little time in, the DA/SA offers a lot of advantages at very little trade off. If you're not willing to practice, you may find yourself burning that very important first shot.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I slightly prefer SA, in a 1911 frame. DA/SA isn't hard to get used to. I prefer SIG single-stack and Mak(PM) in that category; smaller grips.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I prefer a long light trigger pull, a weak provided by my Taurus Gen 1 24/ Pro DS. The take up gave me time to get on target. I liked it. The DA of the Taurus 709 is excellent, too. I hated the instant trigger of the Taurus PT1911 and other brands of 1911. However, I bought my first 1911(a Remington R1) two months ago and am learning to appreciate its trigger.

I also thoroughly enjoy shooting my 1873 Colt (made by Uberti). The single action is easy to manage, and the revolver is very accurate. I do my best shooting with it. It may be the impact of the long barrel (4.5"), or it may be the SA trigger has a serious impact on accuracy.

Bottom line, I like them all. Just have to adapt to them, learn how to make them work well.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I prefer the SA trigger, namely the 1911. Our agency issues Sig P229's also, in DA/SA or DAK form. Both are equally detestable. For the price, Sig should have the DAK trigger action for the initial trigger cocking action on their DA/SA pistols. That would be a start.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I like them both. They are not hard to get used to. DA/SA weapons almost always also offer SA first round by cocking the hammer. The DA is good when things get exiting and you really don't notice the initial hard pull on that first round.

I have a Ruger P90DC SS that the trigger seems quite nice on to me in either mode. Then again some have alluded that I'm a bit ham handed and insensitive.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Learned to shoot handguns with a revolver and shot 10's of thousands of rounds through them over my life.

As long as the trigger is smooth and the break is crisp, I don't really have a preference.

I will say that the nicest trigger I ever shot would be/was on either my S&W 686 *DA or SA* or Dan Wesson commander bobtail.

Most people don't like DA pulls because they are heavy.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I don't care for DAO. Or most striker fired pistols.

At the range, I fire most everything in SA. So on a SA/DA, I bring back the hammer on autoloaders or revolvers. It's easier and more precise.

For carry, I usually have a SAO with an engaged safety.

For the house, a SA/DA with one in the chamber and the hammer down. So first round is DA; and SA for everything following.

I've adjusted my attitude toward DAO in recent years. I now approach the DAO trigger pull as a "commitment" rather than an "action".
    I'm sure someone will be critical. But it works better for me to not worry about taking up slack in a trigger and mechanical loading. And to concentrate on getting lumps of spinning, steaming lead downrange quickly.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I never much cared for a DA trigger. They were just too heavy for me and I wasn't very good with them. Other than revolvers, most guns with them are fat grip double stack guns. I absolutely love the 1911 platform. I was introduced to them over 30 years ago as a teenager in basic at Ft Knox. I have big hands, but my fingers aren't that long so the slim grip of a 1911 fits me like no other. While I do love the SA trigger, it's the feel of the 1911 in my hands that sold me on the platform. I think you could learn to do well with any given trigger, if the gun feels right in your hands. The first thing I always recommend about a handgun is to buy a gun that fits you.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Either SA or DAO. I've only owned one SA, 1911. Sweet gun just not practical IMO, mine was a safe queen so I sold it. I can't stand SA/DA guns.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm a fan striker fired and SA. That being said, I am beginning to find out the DA pull on my 9 shot 22 revolver, which is 15 lbs, is a challenge. One that I am meeting. At 25 yds, my 3×6 steel popper is starting to get hit more often. I really enjoy trying to master that thing.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am an avid fan of the 1911. I favor the single action trigger. I also like the look and feel of say, a Beretta 92FS, but don't care for the initial double action trigger pull. Do any of you that favor the 1911 as well, tend to stay with that style? I understand the concept of the longer trigger pull, but I don't carry yet. So for me, I don't need the few more brain pulses to decide whether to shoot. So I would like some feedback from those that favor one or the other. And if I should become more experienced with the double action.

I like the DA/SA maybe because I started my gun ownership with a 92F. With the 92F a $9 spring swap gets you from 13# to around 8# DA pull.

I like the visual feedback of a DA hammer combined with the tactile feedback of the DA trigger. It does take getting used to but most of my dry fire practice is DA since the hammer stays down when the trigger is pulled. Ernest Langdon has some good youtube videos on DA. Try finding those.

I use this

Amazon.com : LaserLyte TLB-RT Reaction Tyme Laser Target : Hunting Targets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

2 of these sitting about randomly going off and and at random distances and this in the pipe. I hope one day to get another pair, but 2 and distance randomization is challenging enough at my skill level.

http://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Las...UTF8&qid=1440007233&sr=8-1&keywords=Laserlyte

I practice da from retention ready, with both targets and from the holster with one.

I get several more minutes of DA practice with the D spring upgrade in the 92.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like nice triggers. I also appreciate curvy women.

Curvy triggers and nice women are good too.

I prefer single action, but am fine with a short pull double action too as long as it's not too long. The pull of a CZ from the half cock notch is about the same as the pull on a Glock (length of pull, not feel) and I prefer to carry that way if carrying a CZ. My favorites are still the 1911 triggers though. I tried an SA only trigger on my pre-B CZ but went back to DA/SA. The trigger was great but I have trouble sometimes with the safety on a CZ. My 1911s' huge surf board sized safeties are much easier for me to reach.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    SA for sport pistols and DAO for anything I'm going to carry. Prefer hammers on both and have absolutely no use for the DA/SA(although I've got a dozen or two). I treat the DA/SA as oddities.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    DA/SA with a decocker. I like everything about my 1911s but am still practicing to develop the necessary muscle memory to have confidence I won't **** up when things are exciting carrying SAO

Top Bottom