What's Your Story of the Journey for Your CC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    My first carry gun (and first gun) was a Beretta 92FS. Great gun, and I still have it, bit I bought it for all the wrong reasons (basically, it's drop-dead gorgeous, and Bruce Willis had one in Die Hard). I lugged that brick around for a year or two, then picked up a Sig P6.

The SIG was a police trade in, so I had to replace some springs and the barrel because the factory barrel wouldn't feed hollow points. A new-production P225 barrel fixed that, and I carried that gun for a few years. It's actually a fantastic shooter, and comfortable to carry.

My job changed and I needed something I could carry on an ankle, so I ended up getting a Glock 26. That gun worked so well and was so versatile, that it ended up replacing the P6 even when I didn't have to carry the Glock.

About 8 years into carrying the Glock, work started issuing backups, so I ended up with a P320 subcompact. Also a great little gun, but a little larger and heavier than the Glock.

That lasted a couple of years I until I got on a .45 kick, and wanted to go back to a DA/SA platform for when I'm on my own time and can carry what I want. I bought a P245 and that has been my ever-present companion for the last 2 years. It's very similar to the P6, but has a better trigger and pushes a bigger pill. I have a couple of revolvers that get carried on occasion, too, when the situation demands something different, but normally I've got a P320 or my P245.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My first carry gun (and first gun) was a Beretta 92FS. Great gun, and I still have it, bit I bought it for all the wrong reasons (basically, it's drop-dead gorgeous, and Bruce Willis had one in Die Hard). I lugged that brick around for a year or two, then picked up a Sig P6.

The SIG was a police trade in, so I had to replace some springs and the barrel because the factory barrel wouldn't feed hollow points. A new-production P225 barrel fixed that, and I carried that gun for a few years. It's actually a fantastic shooter, and comfortable to carry.

My job changed and I needed something I could carry on an ankle, so I ended up getting a Glock 26. That gun worked so well and was so versatile, that it ended up replacing the P6 even when I didn't have to carry the Glock.

About 8 years into carrying the Glock, work started issuing backups, so I ended up with a P320 subcompact. Also a great little gun, but a little larger and heavier than the Glock.

That lasted a couple of years I until I got on a .45 kick, and wanted to go back to a DA/SA platform for when I'm on my own time and can carry what I want. I bought a P245 and that has been my ever-present companion for the last 2 years. It's very similar to the P6, but has a better trigger and pushes a bigger pill. I have a couple of revolvers that get carried on occasion, too, when the situation demands something different, but normally I've got a P320 or my P245.
    P245 is a piece of history there. All you see now is P220's.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    P245 is a piece of history there. All you see now is P220's.

Yeah, they replaced the P245 with the P220 compact, and then discontinued that. It's a shame, really, because IMO it's a much more carry-able package than the full-size or "carry" models, while still packing the same punch. It'll take full-size P220 mags, too, so you can carry one of those for a reload while keeping a 6-rounder in the gun for optimal concealment. I like it so much I wouldn't mind picking up another just to have a spare.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I’ve been all over the place with my cc. Started with j frame and have gone back many times. Original shield was my go to for a long time. Glock 26 and 19 all were the choice for years as well

all of the pocket pistols have been a choice at some time or another.

Cz pcr rami and p01 have all made appearances. 75b is always the choice if I’m going out of shelbyville.

picked up lcp max a month ago or so and think it may be the end of the cc road for me. I love to pocket carry and am not the tacticool guy that carries. Five extra mags and a full size 9mm with every gadget imaginable able.

I’m an old fat guy now so it’s easiest to pocket csrry but even in my two percent body fat younger days I still preferred that method. Lcp has been best pocket pistol for me and have had every iteration. The max may just be the perfect cc gun IMO.

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    I started back in 2008, so bear with me I went from a Taurus pt111 to a beretta m9, to a walther ppk,to a naa 22 to a ruger lcp to a no name 22 semi auto, to a walther pk380, to a no name 25 auto, back to the m9, then also carried a colt 1908, then to a Glock 42, to a sig 226 to a smith airweight, over to a Glock 26 then to a sig p6, to a sig p229 to finally a sig P365xl

it’s been a long journey!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I started back in 2008, so bear with me I went from a Taurus pt111 to a beretta m9, to a walther ppk,to a naa 22 to a ruger lcp to a no name 22 semi auto, to a walther pk380, to a no name 25 auto, back to the m9, then also carried a colt 1908, then to a Glock 42, to a sig 226 to a smith airweight, over to a Glock 26 then to a sig p6, to a sig p229 to finally a sig P365xl

it’s been a long journey!
    I have had 11 of the items you have mentioned
    And,
    Conceptually, I have the same after 4.5 years that I started out with.

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    Carried a SA 1911 off and on with various DA 45's and 9mm's for about 6 or 7 years. Then settled on the 1911 as my EDC, I've been carrying a variety of different 1911's since the early 90's. The Kimber Ultra that I have now has been my EDC for 12 or so years now. IMG_2222.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Carried a SA 1911 off and on with various DA 45's and 9mm's for about 6 or 7 years. Then settled on the 1911 as my EDC, I've been carrying a variety of different 1911's since the early 90's. The Kimber Ultra that I have now has been my EDC for 12 or so years now. View attachment 155769
    :wow: 11 yrs, that is amazing to me!
    That certainly makes life simpler!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    In the 20+ years I've been carrying, here's the order.

Taurus PT-111
    Rock Island 3" 1911
    Keltec PF-9
    XDm 5.25
    S&W 3913
    Springfield 4" XDs

I've also had a 642 and a
    .327 LCR for a second/pocket gun.

The XDs gets the duty 95% of the time. I'll carry the XDm on occasion.

PeeWee9999

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Plainfield
    My first carry gun was a Remington-Rand 1911 in .45 ACP. The next was a 1911 Colt that Uncle Sam gave me to use for about 7 years. Then I bought my own Colt 1911, carried that into the 90's when I bought a Colt Officers Model 1911. I had it customized so it would shoot any bullet shape. Carried till I got a Colt Rail Gun, when Arthritis hit my hands and I went to a 1903 Colt Hammerless in .32 ACP.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Probably tried a couple dozen guns for carry over many years. First carried a Rossi .38 special back in the 80s, went to a Ruger P93, then downsized to a Beretta Tomcat.

Lots since then. Now I seem to prefer my HK USP Compact, CZ Rami, or late model Colt Detective Special for toting around.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Hammerless snubbies appendix in cheap suede IWB clip holsters.
    Carrying that way for 15yrs now. 13 with the lil Ruger.
    Occasionally pocket carry the Smith.
    Started with a 686-4 IWB at 4 o'clock, did that for quite a few years.
    Still occasionally a DW Cbob.

View attachment 154046

357TERMS...I started out very similar to yours...
    Picked up a stainless 6.5" Ruger SIngle-Six with .22lr and .22wmr cylinders in the spring of '92...still have it...still love it!
    Added a 4" stainless GP100 in .357 magnum in the spring of '93.
    Picked up a 2.25" SP101 in .357 magnum in December '94 (as a Christmas gift to myself) as it was smaller and easier to conceal than the larger GP100.
    Picked up my first semi-auto on 9/11...it came in the day before but I didn't make it into the shop until the next day...a Glock 23.
    Traded the Glock 23 for a Colt 1991A1 Officer's model in spring of 2002...and CC'd it for a few years.
    Ended up trading the 1991A1 Colt for a Glock 32 and have been with Glock (for the most part) ever since.
    About 3 years ago, I picked up a S&W J-Frame 360J in .38 and fell in love with the little light-weight revolver(s)...
    Now I have a few S&W J-Frame revolvers in .38 and .357 magnum...
    I've tried pistols and revolvers from Beretta, Colt, Glock, Kahr, Kimber, S&W, Sig Sauer, Taurus, etc. just to name a few...
    In the end, I'm pretty much a Glock pistol and Ruger revolver guy...with a few J-Frame's mixed-in...
    My current EDC is a Glock 36 (Glock version of the Officer's model 1911) and a few S&W's (as pocket pistols) in the rotation...
    Having a few different pistols in the rotate in okay...just make sure you know why you selected that particular pistol or revolver, know and understand it's abilities and limitations...and train consistently with them.

ihOMICC.jpg

pGO1UL3.jpg

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Carried a SA 1911 off and on with various DA 45's and 9mm's for about 6 or 7 years. Then settled on the 1911 as my EDC, I've been carrying a variety of different 1911's since the early 90's. The Kimber Ultra that I have now has been my EDC for 12 or so years now. View attachment 155769
    Great carry! My story... I don't exactly remember the year - maybe 2012 or so. Wandering around LGS... Talked to a guy there who wanted an AR. I happened to have a "home built" AR and asked what he had to trade. He replied that he had a Kimber Ultra CDP II . Long story short, we traded. I shot the Kimber and really liked it. It has been my EDC since. Lots of rounds thru it but still functions flawlessly.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II  .45        KU44412 copy.JPG

Last edited:

Chaplain

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Crawfordsville, IN
    My Concealed Carry Weapon History - 40+ Years
    .357 Mag – Dan Wesson Pistol Pack​
    .38 Spl – Rossi (S&W J Frame Clone)​
    .22 LR – Jennings J-22​
    9mm – S&W 469​
    9mm – Beretta 92FS​
    .45ACP – Various 1911’s:​
    5” Springfield Armory​
    4.25” Dan Wesson​
    4.25” Ed Brown​
    3” Kimber​
    9mm – Sig P226​
    .380 ACP – S&W Bodyguard​
    9mm – Sig P938​
    .380 ACP – Browning 1911​
    9mm – CZ 75 BD PCR​

I flirted with a Glock 19, but never acquired a taste for it. I am currently flirting with Sig P365XL’s and Sig P320 Compacts, but not ready to carry either one yet.

My preferred CCW seems to rotate over the years as my mood changes:
    I spent many years (20+) with my S&W 469, due to a lack of funds, and still love that gun (now relegated to the safe). Then a late entry into the 1911 arena broadened my horizons – ya gotta love 1911 triggers. A more recent foray into CZ 75’s brought me back to my DA/SA roots and “The Wizard” made their triggers SUPER SWEET. Most recently, thanks to Bruce Gray’s GrayGuns parts, I have revisited my Sig P226’s and I am loving them like never before.

Where will I go once this current obsession with the P226 is satisfied? If I want something familiar, it will be a CZ 75 or 1911 again. If it is time for something new, probably a Sig P320 Compact or maybe a Sig P365XL.

Now as for concealed carry holsters…well, that should be a whole new thread…

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great carry! My story... I don't exactly remember the year - maybe 2012 or so. Wandering around LGS... Talked to a guy there who wanted an AR. I happened to have a "home built" AR and asked what he had to trade. He replied that he had a Kimber Ultra CDP II . Long story short, we traded. I shot the Kimber and really liked it. It has been my EDC since. Lots of rounds thru it but still functions flawlessly.
    View attachment 156116
    :wow:
    I could learn much from you!
    Life would be so much simpler if I could do that with CC or with range guns especially.
    But, the variety is so much fun. :dunno:

Top Bottom