Avon
    Anyone else read about this...

Five wheat belly indicators in addition to a bloated belly

1) High blood sugar
    2) Skin problems, rashes, acne, and eczema
    3) Bouts of anxiety and depression - low energy
    4) Gut disorders - yeast infections
    5) Early aging disorders that include dementia

Beyond this lies celiac disease, which can be determined by a blood test and/or gut biopsy.

Learn more: 'Wheat-belly' 101 - Five clues that your excess weight is caused by gluten

I am going to try a rice bread recipe and see how it turns outs. Waiting for the rice flour to be delivered. My grand kids are addicted to white bread and I have been eating whole wheat bread and then read this...now I know why, when I ate the whole wheat bread my blood sugar went up even when I was staying with in my allotted amount of cards.

Would be interested if anyone else has tried no wheat...

There is a lot of wheat in our everyday life as well as our preps...

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I can not get over all the food items that are suppose to be "good" for you then turn out to be not so good. Then there is the list of foods that are "bad" and turn out to be good. It makes a feller scratch yer head!?!?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I try to limit wheat in my diet. I did Atkins about 5 yrs ago, didn't notice much difference or weight loss. I never buy white bread, I usually buy Ezekiel bread (sprouted). There are some good pastas out now made with brown rice, quinoa, flax seed, etc. For snacks, i like the Blue Diamond Sea Salt Nut Chips, made with brown rice and almond flour.
    I am 50, and often feel it, but I will tell you that my blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol readings, etc., are always very good, even though I'm about 20 lbs overweight. I have suffered from anxiety, and I have to watch the simple carbs, and really, any carbs need to be balanced with healthy fat/protein, or i feel it. I haven't read the book, but have thought about it.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I went grain and dairy free for a couple years a few years ago. It was hard to do but I felt a lot better. I have noticed that grains and dairy bug my sinuses and /or ears. I have also noticed that grains will sometimes increase my pulse. I eat very limited amounts of both.

Here's a link to a vet who has done a lot of research on food allergies for people & pets.

DogtorJ.com :: Food Intolerance in Pets & Their People :: Home of The GARD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I can not get over all the food items that are suppose to be "good" for you then turn out to be not so good. Then there is the list of foods that are "bad" and turn out to be good. It makes a feller scratch yer head!?!?

I know drives a person crazy!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I try to limit wheat in my diet. I did Atkins about 5 yrs ago, didn't notice much difference or weight loss. I never buy white bread, I usually buy Ezekiel bread (sprouted). There are some good pastas out now made with brown rice, quinoa, flax seed, etc. For snacks, i like the Blue Diamond Sea Salt Nut Chips, made with brown rice and almond flour.
    I am 50, and often feel it, but I will tell you that my blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol readings, etc., are always very good, even though I'm about 20 lbs overweight. I have suffered from anxiety, and I have to watch the simple carbs, and really, any carbs need to be balanced with healthy fat/protein, or i feel it. I haven't read the book, but have thought about it.

Thanks for the info..pasta was one thing I was concerned about...we feed 8 people so price of any food is always a concern. I was not sure if I could make it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I went grain and dairy free for a couple years a few years ago. It was hard to do but I felt a lot better. I have noticed that grains and dairy bug my sinuses and /or ears. I have also noticed that grains will sometimes increase my pulse. I eat very limited amounts of both.

Here's a link to a vet who has done a lot of research on food allergies for people & pets.

DogtorJ.com :: Food Intolerance in Pets & Their People :: Home of The GARD

Thanks for the info.

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    An old girlfriend of mine has celiacs and its bad she cant even touch food with gluten in it . Im 15lbs over weight with my belly being the part that shows maybe I should go get myself checked out for something like this?

manygunsmike

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Check out the paleo diet...wife has been on it since late Oct and she's looking and feeling great. Stiffness in her fingers is gone and she has lost her belly. Her good colesterol has risen from 51 to 69. Doctor cut her statin drugs in half. Look it up online. It's reduced carb, allowing root veggies and a little fruit, no grain . Meat and fish but no dairy....also seeds and nuts but in small portions.
    If grain gives you a blood sugar spike it might be the answer.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know what it is, but I can't eat most "wheat" breads I have a reaction called "geographic tongue". I don't know if it's an alergic reaction or what. All I know is my tongue hurts like a mofo from the resultant rash.

And then there's the alergy to caffeine/theobromine I've developed as an adult. No more chocolate or tea for me unless I have nowhere to be for the next week. It causes the soft tissues in my joints, especially hip and jaw, to swell up painfully and I can't walk, talk, or chew without pain and stiffness. Before I figured it out, I was so crippled, I could only barely get around with the aid of a cane.

I'm 100 lbs. overweight, but I rather doubt it's from anything like Celiac. We have a bread maker now and are experimenting with other bread recipes, but it's more as a matter of taste and variety than trying to get gluten free.

Bazooka Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    Another thing to remember as well is that the wheat bread we are eating today is not the same wheat bread that or great grand parents were eating. Some of the doctors i work with were talking about how the wheat we have now has been specifically modified to cause a spike in your glucose. This is not tin hat stuff, just the facts.

Kraor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Knox County
    Does anyone know if you can get "good wheat" to grow anymore? I would plant some of my own if I could.. seems like we have ruined just about everything that used to be good for us.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Good info in this thread.
    I became alarmed when I learned that drinking a glass of skim milk (alone) is akin to eatng a donut! I've since switched to donuts....
    W/o the milk fat, you're drinking high milk carbs (starches) which can jolt blood sugar. I guess one could pump up the skim milk with protein in some form, e.g., breakfast, or protein powder. For me, my first ingestion in the morn is home made latte from home roasted coffee and half skim milk. I just switched to soy milk. Fewer carbs, but for me, soy milk sucks even worse than skim milk in coffee. Then there are the phytoestrogens. So whilst your controlling your carbs & blood suger guys, your breast are perking, your voice may raise an octave, your prostate is swelling and your sex drive is dropping. At least that was what the lady shopper at Costco told me when she saw a half gallon of soy milk in my cart. I was going to challenge her to that last assumption, but she didn't inspire those thoughts. Five minutes of research on the web suggests that most of that is bogus, at least this week. YEMV.
    p.s. I tried the refriged soy. Does the non fridged stuff taste any better?

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Wheat has been modified (hybridized) for many reasons, mostly to resist decease.
    My crop of winter wheat was ruined by "rust" last year, before I could figure out how to treat it....I could have sprayed it with anti_fungal but do I really want to eat that stuff.
    If you're trying to avoid gluten, try Bob's Red Mill, they have a large selection of gluten free products.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Seems most of our food has been modified to make us sick. I don't know if any of you have read Kevin Trudeau books but he talks about this in great depth. He said that the food and drug administrations work together to make us sick...of course he has been persecuted by the government for saying this.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Seems most of our food has been modified to make us sick. I don't know if any of you have read Kevin Trudeau books but he talks about this in great depth. He said that the food and drug administrations work together to make us sick...of course he has been persecuted by the government for saying this.

You'd be well advised to keep Kevin Trudeau out of your colon. Kevin Trudeau is working with his banks to make himself rich. You really should check your sources.

Trudeau in 2005
    Born(1963-02-06) February 6, 1963 (age 49)
    Lynn, Massachusetts, USA Occupation Author Known for Promoting alternative medicine;
    criminal convictions for fraud and larceny;
    regulatory settlements with the FTC and 8 state Attorneys-General for false claims and misleading representations;
    founding the International Pool Tour

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Thanks for the info..pasta was one thing I was concerned about...we feed 8 people so price of any food is always a concern. I was not sure if I could make it.

I sometimes use spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti. I've also used zuchinni strips, julienned zuchinni, or ribbons in place of pasta in casseroles.

I am into the Clean Eating type of diet. If you do a Google for Clean Eating and Tosca Reno, you should find it. I was able to find some of her books at our public library, too.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I know of Kevin Trudeau. He does seem like he's in it for the money, but I do agree with some of what he says, and I don't trust the govt. with anything food-related!

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I've heard it put like this: Any wheat or grain has to be heavily processed to be edible, do you know any other mammals that choose to eat food they must process heavily to be edible? Genetically modified or not wheat isn't something humans are supposed to eat.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Good info in this thread.
    I became alarmed when I learned that drinking a glass of skim milk (alone) is akin to eatng a donut! I've since switched to donuts....
    W/o the milk fat, you're drinking high milk carbs (starches) which can jolt blood sugar. I guess one could pump up the skim milk with protein in some form, e.g., breakfast, or protein powder. For me, my first ingestion in the morn is home made latte from home roasted coffee and half skim milk. I just switched to soy milk. Fewer carbs, but for me, soy milk sucks even worse than skim milk in coffee. Then there are the phytoestrogens. So whilst your controlling your carbs & blood suger guys, your breast are perking, your voice may raise an octave, your prostate is swelling and your sex drive is dropping. At least that was what the lady shopper at Costco told me when she saw a half gallon of soy milk in my cart. I was going to challenge her to that last assumption, but she didn't inspire those thoughts. Five minutes of research on the web suggests that most of that is bogus, at least this week. YEMV.
    p.s. I tried the refriged soy. Does the non fridged stuff taste any better?

Don't be lulled into non belief. Soy is bad too. Almond milk tastes pretty descent.

Here's an opinion by DogtorJ about soy.

The Asian Mistake
    The “third plague”, as I like to call it, is soy….the Asian mistake. This health-robbing legume was buried underground in one remote area of world and used for years as a non-edible plant used in crop rotation to add nitrogen back to the soil. It took the Asians years to decide to eat it but first they had to develop the means to make it safe for consumption. They learned that fermentation made soy more tolerable just like our ancestors discovered with dairy products (e.g. yogurt, kefir). Interestingly, rice and rice-based wines turned out to be antidotes for some of the harmful properties of their newest culinary creation, in the same way that Italians learned to consume wine, high fat meats, olive oil and vinegar to protect themselves against their passion for pasta.

But we should know that any food that requires as much processing as soy – just to make it safe to eat – will cause problems in individuals even when properly prepared. And yet, the soy industry tried to tell us that soy was a health food and that Asians were healthier because of the soy they consumed. Thankfully, we quickly found out the truth. The only reason that Asians (in Asia) are healthier than Americans in some aspects is because their traditional diet has NO gluten, NO dairy, and NO corn. Soy was their mistake and its gut and tissue-damaging lectins, its overwhelming levels of isoflavones, and its wide array of anti-nutrients tell the tale. No one talks about the fact that Asians actually only live one year longer than the Swiss (and I don’t see them pounding down the soy) and lead the pack in the incidence of stomach cancer.

Like dairy, soy has altered the outward appearance and the internal mechanics of our children. The most notable fact is that the first menstrual cycle of our little girls is occurring much earlier than normal. It was generally accepted in the past that the first menses occurred at 15 years of age. We know from studying this event in the Japanese children before and after WW2, that increased dairy consumption (Americanization has its toll) brought this age down to 12.But soy has dropped this age down into the single digits. It is now reported that nearly 20% of our little girls have their first menstrual cycle by age 8. Wow! If that is not bad enough, I was giving this “lecture” to a woman on the local school board the other day in my office and she told me that there were three nine year-olds in our school system that were pregnant . Unbelievable. Isoflavones are a very real threat to our children’s development, including our males. I’ll leave that part to your imagination and Google.

Here's the link for the full article.

http://dogtorj.com/what-is-food-intolerance/the-history-of-the-big-4/

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom