• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The last I heard is that no case has ever been brought forth which shows that reloaded ammo was a factor in a criminal case or civil case. I would appreciate being proven wrong.

Whoever told you that, ask them how they know it didn't influence a civil jury's verdict once admitted. Remember juries aren't required to explain their decisions and decisions aren't normally published. I'd also ask if them how they know it hasn't influenced charging decisions or plea bargains offered.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder how it would play out if there was no longer ammo available for your carry gun. Nothing wrong with a Colt Lightning.

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    Whose to say it was a reload? looks the same as the bullets, left in the partial box, in the gun safe. Same headstamp and everything.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll just add this, then I'm done. You ever notice that lawyers fight to not have their client in an orange jump suit in front of the jury? Ever notice how lawyers will have loaner button down shirts and ties for defendants who don't own, and can't afford one?

You see any laws that say a jury is supposed to take into consideration how the defendant is dressed?
    You see any case law that says "the jurors thought the defendant looked like a scum bag, so they gave less credibility to his testimony?"
    You ever see a civil lawsuit where the jurors said "we just didn't like that guy, so we gave the other guy more money"?

So why bother to put the defendant in a shirt and tie? Do you think jurors stop being human and are so self-aware they only base their judgement on the black letter of the law? They completely disregard the appearance and the narrative being fed to them? Then, hey, it's all BS. I'd strongly recommend that when someone tells you it's all BS, though, you ask them how they know what they know.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Whoever told you that, ask them how they know it didn't influence a civil jury's verdict once admitted. Remember juries aren't required to explain their decisions and decisions aren't normally published. I'd also ask if them how they know it hasn't influenced charging decisions or plea bargains offered.
    It would be in the court transcript. I understand how the system works, for better or worse.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I love reloading and have reloaded thousands upon thousands of rounds over the years. But, I’ve never carried my reloads in a semi-auto pistol. I’ve been getting into revolvers over the last year and have found a couple of loads that I like using a 158g XTP. I’ve run a bunch of them and they are accurate out of my S&W 66.

Question for the group: Do any of you roll your own SD ammo for revolvers? There’s a lot less going on in a revolver and feed issues are pretty much non-existent. The main reason that I wonder is that I generally don’t carry the 66 with factory .357 SD ammo because I’ve had an occasional failure to fire that took a second strike. I’ve never had that happen in any of the reloads I’ve done using CCI 550 primers. The performance of the reloads is better than I’ve seen with factory ammo on that particular gun.

I really do need to get that gun to a qualified revolver smith that knows the innards of a S&W. The gun is stock with the exception of having an empty primer cup over the strain screw. It’s an ex MCSD gun that I’ve had for a while.

Take the S&W revolver to the Yoda of S&W Revolvers in Rochester, Indiana. Who is Yoda you may ask? Denny Reichard of Sand Burr Gun Ranch. He is a S&W smithy par excellance! Ask almost anyone on this gun board about Denny. He will make your revolver sing, er, shoot like a better than new gun. As for reloads for self defense, don’t do it! Prosecutors will find any reason to go after you in a SD shooting. Find good commercial ammo that shoots well in your gun and stick to it. Peace. Out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom