When do you go from an enthusiast to a collector?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I was having a long conversation last weekend with a friend from Chicago. We hit on several topics, including Obama and eventually guns. She couldn't grasp that I carry "just in case" when I'm in such a nice place like Bloomington (visiting for Little 500). But that isn't my point here...

I currently own 5 firearms, all for different purposes (Walther P22 for target shooting and for fun, a Keltec PF9 for CC, Rock Island 1911 for OC, 18.5" Pardner Pump for the bed-side, and an AR in the closet for the wife if I'm not home). She (my friend) couldn't understand why I needed so many. I tried to explain that they all filled a different need, but she still didn't grasp it. She then explained that she understood that I would want to collect them as they are fun (she has hunters in the family and shoots clays), but I didn't NEED them... Again, not my point.

My point is, both my friend and my wife agreed that I am a collector of firearms. I don't agree. I think I have as many as I can afford/have an excuse to own. So I pose the question; when do you go from being an enthusiast about guns/protection to being considered a collector?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I think you become a "collector" when you have multiples of the same gun.
    Example: Guys who have several 1911's, M1 Garands, AR-15's etc.
    That is my opinion of a collector.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Coming from a newbs point of view... if you've got safe queens, you're a collector. You don't seem to fall into that category so I say you're an enthusiast.

Me, I'm also an enthusiast. I only have one pistol which serves all the purposes you listed above for me at this point, though I am interested in picking up a Mossberg for dedicated bedside HD.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Collectors don't shoot their collection.
    Enthusiasts do.

Collectors are looking for stuff that's not made anymore, and restore and make them work again.
    Enthusiasts want to shoot it all and only want to fix so they can shoot more.

Collectors think in terms of investments.
    Enthusiasts think in terms of fun or utility.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Collectors don't shoot their collection.
    Enthusiasts do.

Collectors are looking for stuff that's not made anymore, and restore and make them work again.
    Enthusiasts want to shoot it all and only want to fix so they can shoot more.

Collectors think in terms of investments.
    Enthusiasts think in terms of fun or utility.

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I have safe queens, I have new guns that I have never fired, I also view them as investments. I guess that is the "collector" side of me. Oh I also have multiples.

I shoot for fun, and I have guns that serve a purpose, and I am enthusiastic about new guns and gear on the market. Example: I have had a Tavor on order since Mid-December, it was supposed to ship at the end of March, here we are at the end of April...still no Tavor.

So I'm a little of both. :D

That one guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    I have just over 40 guns total. About 30 different cals. They run from 1886- new. Most are military. Only multiples I have are 3 ARs (two are retro) and 4 different types of mosins. I have amo for, and shoot every one that I have. So it's like a "working collection" I guess.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I was having a long conversation last weekend with a friend from Chicago. We hit on several topics, including Obama and eventually guns. She couldn't grasp that I carry "just in case" when I'm in such a nice place like Bloomington (visiting for Little 500). But that isn't my point here...

I currently own 5 firearms, all for different purposes (Walther P22 for target shooting and for fun, a Keltec PF9 for CC, Rock Island 1911 for OC, 18.5" Pardner Pump for the bed-side, and an AR in the closet for the wife if I'm not home). She (my friend) couldn't understand why I needed so many. I tried to explain that they all filled a different need, but she still didn't grasp it. She then explained that she understood that I would want to collect them as they are fun (she has hunters in the family and shoots clays), but I didn't NEED them... Again, not my point.

My point is, both my friend and my wife agreed that I am a collector of firearms. I don't agree. I think I have as many as I can afford/have an excuse to own. So I pose the question; when do you go from being an enthusiast about guns/protection to being considered a collector?

I would counter to a woman, "well nobody NEEDS more than one pair of shoes. But I'll bet you have several, perhaps many. They all serve a different (and mostly fashionable) purpose."

But collector vs. enthusiast, I suppose that depends on your mindset. I've rarely seen a gun I didn't appreciate. But there are some that once I see them, I just have to have one.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Why does there have to be a difference between the two? Collectors are enthusiasts. You're a collector when you refer to your guns as a collection, by the strictest definition of the word.

Usually (but not always), a collection will have a theme. Your guns seem to fit a "functionality" theme. If there are gaps in functionality that you're looking to fill, you can probably consider yourself a collector.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Why does there have to be a difference between the two? Collectors are enthusiasts. You're a collector when you refer to your guns as a collection, by the strictest definition of the word.

Usually (but not always), a collection will have a theme. Your guns seem to fit a "functionality" theme. If there are gaps in functionality that you're looking to fill, you can probably consider yourself a collector.

I call myself a collector, but I don't have "safe queens", I have shot almost every gun I own. (have a new/old CVA black powder pistol I haven't shot and one Mosin my wife wanted cause it was marked 1942 (her birthday).

But I guess after I had purchased 50+ guns (a few years ago) I kinda thought it was a "collection". I am still "enthusiastic" about shooting all of them! I really don't have any theme, but do own quite a few military rifles and handguns. (Mainly cause I bought them right and enjoy shooting them).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think you become a "collector" when you have multiples of the same gun.
    Example: Guys who have several 1911's, M1 Garands, AR-15's etc.
    That is my opinion of a collector.

I'd argue otherwise with regards to multiples of the same gun. If you own multiple of the same gun for utility/redundancy purposes, that does not make you a collector. If you have multiple wrenches, hammers, etc does that make you a tool collector?

It really depends on how you use what you have, and the purpose for which you own the item to determine if you are a collector.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I call myself a collector, but I don't have "safe queens", I have shot almost every gun I own. (have a new/old CVA black powder pistol I haven't shot and one Mosin my wife wanted cause it was marked 1942 (her birthday).

But I guess after I had purchased 50+ guns (a few years ago) I kinda thought it was a "collection". I am still "enthusiastic" about shooting all of them! I really don't have any theme, but do own quite a few military rifles and handguns. (Mainly cause I bought them right and enjoy shooting them).

Yeah, I can't get behind the idea that you're a collector only if you have safe queens/investments but I could see how some would say that.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

A collector is someone who acquires a specific selection of objects to move toward an end purpose of making a set of some form. Oftentimes in an attempt to move toward some unusual or unique set of things that have something in common.

For example, a person could collect beer cans. Then the person could decide to collect a copy of every beer can made in Indiana.

This kind of differs, ever so slightly, from a person simply acquiring things for specific uses.

If a shooting enthusiast started target competition shooting with a .22 rifle at 100 yards and wanted to reach out to 1,000 yards the .22 would never work. He/she would have to acquire a higher caliber rifle to meet that need. In this case the person is not collecting for to move in any direction but rather acquiring to fulfill a specific need - reaching out farther.

An art collector may want an original piece of all the major artists of the 19th century. The collector is working toward a purpose to fulfill a set. An art enthusiast may simply purchase art because he/she likes a certain kind of art OR is trying to fill a blank hole on the wall.

I think you could say a collector has a "non need" psychological motivation to fulfill a psychological need to feel good about accomplishing the task of putting together a set of related items that are linked in some manner.

A lot of people ride motorcycles for fun. They enjoy them, either by riding or tinkering or both. A motorcycle "collector" may enjoy both the ride and tinkering, but there is an added goal of putting together a set of some type, whether simply classic motorcycles or all Harley Davidsons. The collector is motivated not just by the ride but by the feeling of accomplishment and pride in doing the hard work of putting together a hard to come by set.

A collector also tries to put together, normally, a hard to come by set. You don't go out and collect things you can buy in the convenience store today.

That's just my :twocents:.

Regards,

Doug

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I also looked at an enthusiast as someone who wants a gun , a collector has to HAVE certain a gun. There's a big difference.

It's like a lot of people with 1911's I guess. We go from wanting one . We buy our first one( bad mistake) , and then have to have different variations. We don't want them, we have to have them.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    My goal as a collector is to get one of ever "classic" 20th century rifle like the Springfield 03, 98K, Garand, Mosin, etc.

Top Bottom